What's new

Help Looking for good LBS in Yokohama

Sean

Speeding Up
Sep 29, 2014
Good morning everyone! Looking for an entry level commuter that doubles for light touring.

Can anyone recommend a great bike shop in the Yokohama area?

Would also really appreciate a recommendation on entry level bike. I've done some research, but I'm still not sure I understand a whole lot other than get alloy parts and compact crank.

Thanks for your time!

Here's a shop that's close to my house:

http://www.cyclespot.net/shops/kanagawa/baytownhonmoku

Does anyone have any experience with this store brand? Any idea if the staff speak enough English to help? ha... So strange and frustrating being illiterate. :-/ Maybe once I've been here a bit longer I'll know enough to get by without grunting and pointing!

So I started off with a Giant Pace. It was a relaxed geometry, had eyelets for racks, triple up front making even the steepest inclines ride-able. Sadly it appears they don't carry it any more. These look good though.
It's a good starting off point. From here, you can decide whether you want something lighter, or more aero, or more robust.

@Sean - I bought a rinko bag from CycleSpot a couple years ago. A couple of guys are cycling enthusiasts, but their English is poor. So if you have specific questions, you might struggle a bit.
Down the street further is Aeon. One of my buddies bought most of his stuff there (accessories and tools).
On the more expensive side is Y's Road near Sakuragicho. They have nice stuff but you will pay a premium. I am not a huge fan, but another three friends have bought their bikes from there.

@JackTheCommuter Thanks! I'll look into all these. :)

@bloaker Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to prepare what I can before going in there (in terms of questions). Where on the Aeon is bike accessories?

It is its own shop. It is on the same side of the road as the other shop, however maybe 1km at the most further away from Chinatown/MinatoMarai
It is street level and maybe 4 times the size of CycleSpot.

It is its own shop. It is on the same side of the road as the other shop, however maybe 1km at the most further away from Chinatown/MinatoMarai
It is street level and maybe 4 times the size of CycleSpot.

You mean it's on the same side of the road as the Aeon that's across the street from Cycle Spot? Hmm... and it's in the direction away from downtown Yokohama?

. . . These look good though.
It's a good starting off point. From here, you can decide whether you want something lighter, or more aero, or more robust.

Hmm. @Sean wants a bike for commuting, bikes left outside in Tokyo/Yokohama get stolen, the cheapest of those three costs three times as much as I paid for the bike I (more or less contentedly) use for commuting in Tokyo plus its replacement parts, and one of the three is intended for full-bore rather than light touring,

Sean, unless your bike will be very safe when at work, I suggest a sound but much cheaper used bike for commuting and your first occasional weekend rides. If you're lucky, you'll find you'll enjoy it for the weekend rides too. If not, then while riding it you'll get a better idea of what you want in your weekend cruiser.

I got my commuting bike from Yahoo Auction. I looked for a bike whose seller had proudly and rather credibly claimed the item was all checked, adjusted and lubed -- not that checking, adjustment and lubing are in themselves very significant, but they're not compatible with the usual cop-outs of "needs attention" (very likely meaning "needs disposal as 粗大ごみ") and "I don't know much about bicycles" (probably meaning "this is obvious junk") -- and came with a great and even obsessive array of photos. Saddle and pedals were decent but I hated them, and I needed a longer seat post; the replacement saddle, pedals and seat post added up to about 10 thou.

Hmm. @Sean wants a bike for commuting, bikes left outside in Tokyo/Yokohama get stolen, the cheapest of those three costs three times as much as I paid for the bike I (more or less contentedly) use for commuting in Tokyo plus its replacement parts, and one of the three is intended for full-bore rather than light touring,

Sean, unless your bike will be very safe when at work, I suggest a sound but much cheaper used bike for commuting and your first occasional weekend rides. If you're lucky, you'll find you'll enjoy it for the weekend rides too. If not, then while riding it you'll get a better idea of what you want in your weekend cruiser.

I got my commuting bike from Yahoo Auction. I looked for a bike whose seller had proudly and rather credibly claimed the item was all checked, adjusted and lubed -- not that checking, adjustment and lubing are in themselves very significant, but they're not compatible with the usual cop-outs of "needs attention" (very likely meaning "needs disposal as 粗大ごみ") and "I don't know much about bicycles" (probably meaning "this is obvious junk") -- and came with a great and even obsessive array of photos. Saddle and pedals were decent but I hated them, and I needed a longer seat post; the replacement saddle, pedals and seat post added up to about 10 thou.

@microcord appreciate the thorough reply. My initial research was for used bicycles. I cannot seem to find a place that sells used bikes, and not reading or speaking hardly any Japanese is a huge limitation. Is Yahoo Auction English-friendly?

You mean it's on the same side of the road as the Aeon that's across the street from Cycle Spot? Hmm... and it's in the direction away from downtown Yokohama?

Same side as CycleSpot - further away from downtown. It is near the Red Lobster.

And there is a used cycle shop near Kannai. Might be on Rt16, but cannot for the life of me remember the name.
I am 6'2", after I saw they had nothing near my size, I had no reason to go back.

@Sean , unfortunately Yahoo Auction is monolingual Japanese. You'd have to use it with a Japanese-reading friend. (And if you won an item, payment would definitely not be via PayPal.)

Of course it's one thing to ask a Japanese-reading friend to help confirm this or that within a couple of auction pages, quite another to ask them to help you find promising bikes among the thousands on offer. Chances are, your friend would soon become an ex-friend.

Probably a used bike store would be a better idea. You could go there, if possible together with a Japanese-speaking friend, and see the wares for yourself. There are one or two chains of used bike stores; sorry but I can't remember their names. Somebody else here should know (or might point out that my idea is stupid).

PS this message crossed bloaker's . Yes, about how tall are you? (I'm two inches shorter than bloaker, but my situation's the same as his. Actually I've got the hots for his unwanted bike, but lack the space for it.)

I ride a 58cm/60cm frame. Not popular in Japan.
You more likely ride a 56cm maybe? That is a bit more common, so I would check it out if I were you.

A 56cm frame could well be OK. The seatpost might be a bit short, and once you'd extended it (or replaced it with a longer alternative), the handlebar might be a bit low. But chances are that it would be OK.

56cm frames aren't common at all, but they're also not rare. Expect that a used bike store will have nothing your size but hope that they do. They just might.

Don't fall for some salesman's line about how a 53cm frame is fine; all you need is a longer seatpost and yes your handlebar will be low but this will be aerodynamically efficient so your rides will be effortless. Each part of this would be kind-of true but also very wrong. You're not racing to and from work, and chances are your neck isn't supple enough to look forward comfortably if your handlebar is that much lower than your saddle. Look for a degree of comfort; your commute should be a pleasure, not an ordeal.

Sorry to necro this thread, and I really appreciate everyone's input. Now that springtime is upon us, I'm getting closer to making a decision.

Aeonbike has some decent looking entry level road bikes, but I'm not sure if they are the kinds of product I'm looking for since my japanese is rudimentary at best. Looking a lot a Momentum iWant R-1-G. Anyone know about this bike?

Thanks again!

Edit:

I did end up buying a new 2015 Giant Defy 4 from Cyclespot Honmoku. Great staff and service. Would definitely recommend them to anyone in the Yokohama area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom