What's new

Looking for cycling mates

pat1959

Warming-Up
Mar 10, 2009
Hi,

As from August 1 2009 I'll be living in Tokyo for a couple of years. I am used to cycle 2, 3 times a week on my race bike with a group of friends back in Belgium. Distances between 75 and 120Km's . I'll bring my race bike and MTB with me and I am looking for people who are regularly biking around Tokyo and are ope for me to join.

Thanks in advance for your reactions

Cheers
Patrick

Hi Patrick, welcome to Tokyo!

Rides are posted here fairly regularly, especially leading up to major events. The bigger rides usually start at around 100km and go up to 200km+. West side rides almost inevitably involve mountains--lots of climbing! East side is perhaps more Belgium-like, flat or rolling terrain. Best bet is to keep an eye on the boards and join any ride that looks interesting to you.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. I will keep an eye on it.

Best regards
Patrick

Dag Patrick

Prima idee om je koersfiets mee te nemen...het is hier een echt wielrennersparadijs (veel klimmen! :D) in de streken rondom Tokyo.

Tot binnenkort!

TOM

(Pardon my Flemish for once...there are not that many Belgians cycling in this country; hence my excitement)

Hi,

As from August 1 2009 I'll be living in Tokyo for a couple of years. I am used to cycle 2, 3 times a week on my race bike with a group of friends back in Belgium. Distances between 75 and 120Km's . I'll bring my race bike and MTB with me and I am looking for people who are regularly biking around Tokyo and are ope for me to join.

Thanks in advance for your reactions

Cheers
Patrick

Hi Tom,

I hope we can meet somewhere in Aug 2009 to do some bicycle tours around Tokyo. I am not used to real climing but I'll learn quickly. lets keep in touch my email is ***.

Tot binnenkort.

Vriendelijke goeten
Patrick

Definitely, we keep in touch. I have noted your private email address (word of advice here: better not post such private information on a public forum - spam software can easily pick it up with all the annoying consequences - use the PM (private mail) function available for sharing sensitive information). Some people are naturals - born climbers and while I'm definitely not one of them - I love the mountains and all the suffering that can be enjoyed there! Depending on where you live in Tokyo, you can reach the closest mountain areas in just one hour in the saddle....tot binnenkort!

Hi Tom,

I hope we can meet somewhere in Aug 2009 to do some bicycle tours around Tokyo. I am not used to real climing but I'll learn quickly. lets keep in touch my email is OK, got it.

Tot binnenkort.

Vriendelijke goeten
Patrick

Dear Phil, I'd be really grateful for some advice on fitness levels on this forum: everybody seems incredibly dedicated. I cycle to work (10km each way) most days, but I'm looking to do a bit of weekend cycling for the fun of it, and to get to know the environs a bit better. Would I be a handicap to the average group excursion due to my relatively low fitness level? Btw, I also have a solid Giant MTB with slicks. Any insights much appreciated! (Feel free to be honest!)

Dan > It's really hard to say, as one person's "fast" is another's "dawdle". In general, I'd say most of the rides are at an athletic pace rather than touring pace. Once you get to meet and ride with everyone it's fairly easy to judge how hard/fast a given ride will be based on who's doing it, but until then... Still, if you can do the distances and elevations shown in the routes comfortably on your own, you'll probably be okay(?)

A good option for a first ride might be Team Osoi; a ride is coming up on the 7th:

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=1398

Or, try one of the longer rides, but bring a map and know the way home; then, if you find the pace too fast, you can just let everyone know and peel off for a solo return at your own pace.

Anyway, hope this helps. I'm sure some of the others have better advice. Actually, this question probably deserves its own thread...

Back
Top Bottom