What's new

Looking for Campsites Within a Day's Ride of Tokyo - Meguro

smaroukis

Warming-Up
Sep 28, 2022
I'm looking to do a two day one night trip out to the mountains and back - from Meguro area. Does anyone have recommendations for routes and places to stay? I'll be camping with a tent. I've definitely been eyeing Ome area but Takao is a bit closer. I don't yet have a bike bag unfortunately so it would be on two wheels out and back - eventually I want to grab the train to get out of the city and find campsites.

I have a gravel bike but my friend has a road bike, so road bike friendly routes.

Also general tips on finding good bike-friendly campsites is helpful - my Japanese friend said that "walk-in/bikepacker" sites aren't a thing in Japan like they are in the States.

Here is my strava if anyone wants to link up for trips in the future or weekend rides: https://www.strava.com/athletes/5841339

- Spencer

Okutama is 44km from Tachikawa, which is about 30km from Meguro, iirc. Plenty of good campsites around there.

And as Bloaker said, Izu has heaps. The campground at Baird Brewing in Shuzenji is a bit expensive but has all the amenities.

Okutama is 44km from Tachikawa, which is about 30km from Meguro, iirc. Plenty of good campsites around there.

And as Bloaker said, Izu has heaps. The campground at Baird Brewing in Shuzenji is a bit expensive but has all the amenities.
Baird is possible within a day from Meguro but you're going to be exhausted when you get there. I did it from Yokohama, leaving at 7am or so, and not arriving until 4pm, so another 2 or so hours from Meguro? It was a 123km cycle for me, with some camping gear on my old Giant Escape.

If Baird is too expensive, check out Camp Bean which is just up the road.

I use this site for finding campsites across Japan though some Japanese is needed.

Don't forget about going North to Chiba as another option.
Depending on fitness of both you and your friend, carrying camping equipment a long slog up a hill can suck the fun out of camping.

Thanks everyone, I ended up not going but I realized that it is much better to try to take the train out with a rinko bag, so I will try to convince my friend to get one too.

Also I'm not in shape for Okutama fully loaded - I will work on my climbs over the winter.

Thanks everyone, I ended up not going but I realized that it is much better to try to take the train out with a rinko bag, so I will try to convince my friend to get one too.

Also I'm not in shape for Okutama fully loaded - I will work on my climbs over the winter.
It's a good long ride up the slopes - I did it during Covid-19 with one of the waves and found the worst part to be cycling back along the Tamagawa and its continuous switchbacks and being rather boring and tough on the knees into the wind.

This time of year is my favorite for camping. Less people less bugs less rain less heat and reliable tail winds back home if you head out north.

@BeerTengoku , there are times when I can hardly face Tamagawa, but I do find that how palatable it is depends a fair amount on which side of it I'm on.

My usual path downstream: around the northern edge of Okutama-ko, downhill through two tunnels, immediately to the right (though still on the left bank) along "Okutama mukashimichi", left bank through the centre of Okutama and all the way to the Kori 7-11, right there and along Yoshino-kaidou (right bank), cross over to the left bank at Hamura, along the so-called cycle path (SCCP) on the left bank to Koremasa-bashi, cross to the right bank and down the SCCP all the way to Gasu-bashi, cross to the left bank and the SCCP down to Haneda.

Some of the opposite-side alternatives simply don't exist, some are are there and are decent enough, some are horrid.

Back
Top Bottom