What's new

Looking for bike cardboard box in Tokyo

Golab

Warming-Up
Dec 15, 2017
Hi!

I am flying out of Tokyo next week with Qatar and I want to take my bike with me. Qatar is very bike-friendly, but they insist on packing your bike in a cardboard box. I was sure I would be able to get one for free in any bike shop, but I checked in 2 shops nearby my apartment and they don't have any boxes and weren't able to advise where I can get one. Does any of you would know where I can get such box in Tokyo (for free or for sale)?

I would really appreciate any help!

Most of the big stores will hand them over if they have them. Like asahi cycles. But I guess if you have to carry it too far it would be pretty mendokusai

I have always asked bike shops to give them to me. Sometimes I had to jerry rig two boxes together with duct tape. Remember, duct tape is your friend. I would also stuff the box with some towels and bike clothes to protect vital parts.

The only downside of these boxes is that you need two people to carry them because they are so unwieldy. And my wife was complaining a lot, mumbling something about divorce if I ever make her carry my bike again for 2 kilometers or so. ;) (Perhaps that'll give me an excuse to buy a proper bike box.)

Thanks for your suggestions. It's too late for me to order from Amazon as I'm flying out Tuesday night. Have you actually managed to get a box from any shop in Tokyo? I tried several ones now and they didn't have any boxes they could give.

@Golab
I don't live in Tokyo, but I have managed to get one in Germany and Canada, and I am sure my current bike shop here in Sendai would oblige, too. It's a smaller shop, though, not one of the big chains.

Going to the smaller shop was the key. I managed to get a box for free here: http://www.lipit-ischtar.jp/, now I just need to pack the bike and take it with me on a train to the airport.

At big chains they were reluctant to offer any help.

Yeah, that's key sometimes. A friend of mine was refused service at a Trek bike shop because his bike he brought over from the US wasn't from Trek. WTF.

I have received a box from Asahi cycles near me. But obviously they through them away pretty quick so your timing has to be lucky.
Anyway glad you found one.

I'm thinking on it, but someone should point out how to rig a set of mini wheels on one end of a bike box so that you wouldn't need two people to get thru an airport.

A hundred yen shop type solution.

A hundred yen shop type solution.

Best bet, IMHO: Duck tape extra cardboard, plastic from a binder or large pet bottle, or a small thin piece of plywood as a skid plate on the corner you'll drag it on.

Recently, I used an old skate truck and wheels. With as much time as I spent on rigging it, it was more trouble than it was worth.

Reactions: jdd
Something like this should be pretty cheap. Don't tape up the box too aggressively then put in the box before check in. Adds a few kilos tho.

HTB1TER_FVXXXXXqXVXXq6xXFXXXD.jpg

Reactions: jdd
Back
Top Bottom