What's new

looking for a replacement rear wheel

CoffinDodger

Speeding Up
Dec 4, 2008
actually I found a candidate, but just need to check, the freehub body is set up to accept 8/9 speed, will my 7 speed set fit straight on or is there some kind of shim/spacer needed? Both parts are Shimano if that helps.

You will need a spacer. 8-speed freehub bodies are wider than 7-speed, even though the spline pattern is identical.
It's just a simple aluminium ring. Try to get the bike shop to throw it in free!
Note that the hub itself may be 4 mm wider so you may need to flex the frame out by 2mm each side to fit the 8 speed hub. See
http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

.....hey thanks.

On a casual measurement then, the space between the rear dropouts seems to be 135mm.

Is an LX FH-M653 likely to be any longer than that in terms of the OLD? or is there a site which lists all the Shimano parts specs? I suspect this hub isn't in the current line.

no the spacing for 8 speed hubs is 135mm. Same as your current bike has. Drop a spacer in and you'll be good to go. Are you using friction shifters or indexed?

No idea. Bog std Shimano Gripshift things.
Okay that's an indexed shifter.
Are you replacing a 7 speed or 8 speed wheel? The spacings between cogs is different. If you are using the same number of cogs you are sweet, if you're replacing an 8 with a 7 you'll have shifting issues. Hopefully you're replacing a seven so all you need is a cheap spacer, few hundred yen. After you get it in use your limit stops on the derailleur to line things up.

As you say, a simple swap of my existing cogs to the new hub. And all that's needed to do this is a chain whip? I'm not a big fan of buying tools I'll likely never (or seldom) need again. Can the swap be accomplished with a section of old chain? My existing chain is probably on its last legs so would make sense to renew that at the same time. I know I'd need a chain breaker.

Yes the job can be done with an old piece of chain and a screw driver...a little tricky but can be done.

However, I would strongly suggest you buy a tool kit, many LBS will sell a complete mechanics set for around 4,000yen wshich will have all the tools you need to pretty much cover all maintainance work on your bike.

As you say, a simple swap of my existing cogs to the new hub. And all that's needed to do this is a chain whip? I'm not a big fan of buying tools I'll likely never (or seldom) need again. Can the swap be accomplished with a section of old chain? My existing chain is probably on its last legs so would make sense to renew that at the same time. I know I'd need a chain breaker.

Old chain wraped around the cassette then wrap some old cloth around it and you have a chainwhip but you should really go and get a lockring removal tool, they fit shimano and sachs so it will likely be used again.
yhst-78341476818073_2100_123437939

hmmm

that didn't work out actually but, another possibility - is CS-HG50 13T-26T a 7 speed cassette?

Yes, but ask before you buy it to check. Have you thought about just going to 8 speed?

At my level, seems pretty pointless. Ended up with an AT4500 32h laced 4x. Seller says the hub accepts 8/9/10 speed sets.

Should be okay for my careless riding, I suppose.

Update.

It now transpires that the cassette from my old wheel cannot be transferred; apparently it's a 'bolt-on type'.

sprockets.jpg

In an attempt to fix the problem, I had purchased an entire replacement wheel, used. Without cassette. This was an 8 speed variety. None of my local bike shops (within walking distance) carry stock of a 7 speed cassette - is this because it's a bit antiquated?

(the purchase of the replacement wheel preceded the discovery of non compatibility!)

Anyone got a 7 speed cassette going cheep? Near Suginami-ku?

Or if I picked up an eight speed, wthout changing the 7 speed shifters, could that work? Obviously I'd have to give one cog a miss.

7 Speed cassettes are mostly obsolete but there are still some around as new old stock.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38302. Also some very low end Shimano like the HG30 cassette is still 7 speed.

If you get an 8-speed cassette you will need a new shifter and a new chain as well since the spacing between the cogs is different for 7 vs 8. It's not just a matter of not being able to use one of the 8 gears. The indexing will be off so it will run roughly and noisily.

7 Speed cassettes are mostly obsolete but there are still some around as new old stock.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38302. Also some very low end Shimano like the HG30 cassette is still 7 speed.

If you get an 8-speed cassette you will need a new shifter and a new chain as well since the spacing between the cogs is different for 7 vs 8. It's not just a matter of not being able to use one of the 8 gears. The indexing will be off so it will run roughly and noisily.
so it's really a case of built-in obsolescence?

New chain I can live with, this one must be knackered. See what edgman can find?

At my level, seems pretty pointless. Ended up with an AT4500 32h laced 4x. Seller says the hub accepts 8/9/10 speed sets.

Should be okay for my careless riding, I suppose.

And lo.....it was 130mm size hub:eek:uch:

Fair cop, auction listing didn't mention this small point, I didn't ask (just assumed). Bleurgh!

So once more unto the breach. I did find a fairly spacious used parts dealer close to the Seibu-Shinjuku line, on a road that borders the northern boundary of Kabukicho. Any other suggestions between Mitaka and Shinjuku, given that I am reduced to walking everywhere now.

You might walk all the way to Cycly Yoyogi, which isn't too far from Shinjuku station.
You can also check some of their stock online before you go. It might be pointless though, as their used prices are sometimes more expensive than ordering new from abroad.

Probably Yahoo Auction is your best choice if you want to replace the whole wheel.

Hey thanks. That pricing sounds familiar:(

The place I mentioned over by Seibu line had a good selection from ¥4000- ¥30,000. Might be worth mentioning that they have pretty much any bike part or accessory used.

Still could not help me with my 135mm requirement:(

YJA is how I came by the Alexa rim in the first place. Got me a 7 speed cassette there anyway.

Back
Top Bottom