What's new

Ride Longest Ride

What is the longest ride you've done in a single go? No multi-day adventures count.

• <50 km

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50 km to 99 km

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 100 km to 149 km

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • 150 km to 199 km

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • 200 km to 249 km

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • 250 km to 299 km

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 300km +

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters
What cassette are you looking for? I have a low mileage Shimano CS-HG700 11S 11-34 cassette if you're interested. Its got about 200km on it at most. It came on a Domane SL5 I purchased last December, but I swapped it out almost immediately for an 11-30 cassette.
Thanks for the offer! I was actually looking for a 10 speed for my daughter's bike with Tiagra, but realized I had a brand new one sitting on my mountain bike. I bought the 11-34 because I couldn't get an 11-36 back in April, but have found one now. The reason I'm upgrading my daughter's bike right now is to liberate its cassette to put on a folding bike. We have a lot of bikes, and it feels like winning to upgrade the cheaper ones with parts handed down from the better ones.

My longest was on my fargo (oddly not a road bike).
Something was wonky as everyone's gps stop working in the same general area....
Recordings all stops, feedback stopped, everthing...
I had a similar experience in spain and come to find out I was near a "secret" base and they have found a way to inturrupt all communications for security purposes. I could not help but think of that as we all lost our GPS recordings for a bit.

Anyhow -Train to Chichibu, ride to Nichitsu, then back to Kawasaki.
It ended up being over 220km and a LONG day for a drop bar MTB.

1629664266954.png1629664250813.png
1629664478872.jpeg

My longest was on my fargo (oddly not a road bike).
Something was wonky as everyone's gps stop working in the same general area....
Recordings all stops, feedback stopped, everthing...
I had a similar experience in spain and come to find out I was near a "secret" base and they have found a way to inturrupt all communications for security purposes. I could not help but think of that as we all lost our GPS recordings for a bit.
That's a pretty good ride!

As for the GPS, while it's possible to jam the satellite signals with a local transmitter on the same frequencies used by the GPS network, given that cars GPS and phones use the same system, it would quickly draw undue attention if that was what's going on.

I have had issues in Chichibu with GPS recording before, but given the local geography with tall mountains and deep valleys that block a lot of line of sight reception to satellites and replace them with signals bouncing off mountains, it's not really the most ideal environment for getting the best GPS performance.

Something was wonky as everyone's gps stop working in the same general area.

issues in Chichibu with GPS recording before, but given the local geography with tall mountains and deep valleys
Interesting. The place I've experienced most GPS weirdness - both first- and second-hand - is around the lakes just north of Mt Fuji.

Mine was 2019 Festive 500 with Stewart & John for 201km, think I added 30-40km onto my previous best.

Forecast was for gale force winds so left early and just past Gyoda as we neared the Tone river the wind became strong enough to almost blow us off of the Tone river cycle road. Managed to hit 59km/hr on the flat but got scared of crashing in a sudden gust.

A Harty lunch near the castle at that local restaurant, tailwind back down the Edo river into Tokyo. The new Domane was a perfect bike for the day and couldn't believe how fresh I was when I got near home with 178km or so on the Wahoo so went and did laps around Hikarigaoka park. If it wasn't for the battery on my Wahoo & my wife calling me several times to ask when I was bloody coming home for dinner I might've ridden another 30-50km.

Although when I stopped when I got home it was another story...

The longest I'd ridden before this summer was 201km, but ended up doing a 330km ride in July that took me around Chiba. It was planned as a backpacking trip but ended up as a non-stop adventure of cycling through the night, mostly to beat the heat. I figure, now that I've done that once, I'm good.

312km. Not hilly. Yamato to Kurihama, boat, then a loop around Chiba. Then back. Was about 10 years ago though!
Pretty much did that loop a while back and got 240 km or so. Was tough on the way back through Yokohama, I must admit but I got lucky with the weather that day with blue skies and a good solid tail wind until getting to the western side of Boso.

312km. Not hilly. Yamato to Kurihama, boat, then a loop around Chiba. Then back. Was about 10 years ago though!
The full loop around Tokyo Bay using the Tokyo Wan Ferry from Kurihama is still on my to-do list. I have considered it as one of the choices so many times when a weekend was approaching, but ultimately there's always another course that looks more appealing than the slog back to my home through western Chiba / eastern Tokyo for the last 50 km or so... And if you try to avoid the industrial wastelands close to Tokyo bay, the loop becomes bigger and bigger.

Back
Top Bottom