What's new

Ride Longest Ride

What is the longest ride you've done in a single go? No multi-day adventures count.

• <50 km

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50 km to 99 km

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 100 km to 149 km

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • 150 km to 199 km

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • 200 km to 249 km

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • 250 km to 299 km

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 300km +

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters
Suggestion: Tamagawa, Akigawa, Itsukaichi, Hinohara, turn right at Tachibana bridge, Hinohara mushroom centre, Kazahari, Okutama-ko, Okutama mukashi-michi, cross to the right bank at the Kori 7-11, cross back at Hamura, downstream. More hurt, less boredom.

I probably did something very similar on another ride, but took the train from kawasaki to Itsukaichi (or somewhere near).
Thankfully, now im living in Saitama, with easy access to Hanno, Ome and even Okutama, so lots of fun without the boredom :)

Tokyo to Nagano: 270km, 1,600m. Should've been less than that, but as I was nearing the end of the ride, I realised I'd left my phone in a conbini during my last pit stop. I had to track back 15km, adding 30km in total. Doesn't sound like much, but those extra kms were not fun.

For me it depends a bit where you draw the line as a multi-day event. If you ride a couple of hundred km but stop at a different hotel or minshuku or camp site every night, that's clear. So is any ride under 24 hours. For me the cutoff point for what I consider one ride is when I sleep in a bed again. Many of my longest rides have been in this 24-48 hour grey zone that Strava doesn't recognize as a Gran Fondo.

On some of my longest rides I have taken naps outside a conbini or on the ground near a road before I continue. If I consider only ride portions strictly within 24 hours, the maximum is around 367 km, such as in Fleche rides or the initial 24 hours of a 400 km brevet (which has a 27 hour time limit for the full distance). I've done this a couple of times and love that kind of ride.

My longest ride without sleeping in a home or hotel (or even a sleeping bag) is 580 km. Lots of naps then because I get seriously sleep deprived after 400 km.

What about the most elevation in the shortest distance ;)
Thats more interesting :)

There`s that "Ome Temple Loop" route that is hard to beat in my current location. The route itselft, starting and finishing at Ome (or Hanno?) Station is like 85km with more than 2000m of climbing. Since i have to ride a little bit to get there, it finishes with 100km and 2300m of climbing. No Flat sections at all

Thats more interesting :)

There`s that "Ome Temple Loop" route that is hard to beat in my current location. The route itselft, starting and finishing at Ome (or Hanno?) Station is like 85km with more than 2000m of climbing. Since i have to ride a little bit to get there, it finishes with 100km and 2300m of climbing. No Flat sections at all
Hard to top the Otsuki 4.5 loop, which is around 3,500m of climbing in 125km. Up and down the whole way. The scenery makes up for the pain.

Pretty sure I had more climbing than this going when I lived in the east bay hills (no flats to be found anywhere!), but this is the only record I have (and from 11 years ago) LOL

160km with 2,032 meters climbing (and a looooooong break for lunch)

438km: Tokyo to Nagoya (way back in 2009)

Longest ride is 178km / 2179m, the most elevation in the shortest distance is probably 2300m / 95km. Just watched that video on GCN about making a hilly 100km loop (continuous loop: no u-turns, no dead ends, no repeat climbs) and made a route that would be 2729m / 99.5km straight out the door, so might give that a go in the autumn.

that video on GCN about making a hilly 100km loop
I saw that yesterday too.

I'm told that Decathlon Japan hope to have the featured bike in stores next autumn. Shortages innit...

No one asked, but my biggest single climb, i.e., uninterrupted by descending, is around 2150 m, from Kakugawa in Gifu (555 m) to the pass at Norikura (2716 m). It took me twice the time of the fastest Stravrr to get up... living the half-fast dream.

One could "sea to sky" this, from the coast at Toyama along the river to to Hida and Takayama and then turn left for Norikura, but there are many tunnels along the river and there may be some minor descending. Not sure.

1624871605055.png

Any other candidates for mad climbs?

I've gone from the 7-11 on R292 in Nakano (about 400m asl) to Shibu Toge (2172m), the highest point on a road open to cars. Its about 30km and has a couple of downhills, so about 1800m of climbing. Magnificent road!

Is it just my imagination or have Decathlon whacked their prices up over here recently?
Drifting off topic, but since I brought it up: yeah, there's been a price bump for bikes. This reflects an increase in production costs due to global shortages of and increased prices of (principally) Shimano components. Already-overpriced brands might take the hit and still have an acceptable margin, but Decathlon's bike prices were already rock-bottom so trying to absorb the upstream cost would have tipped them into negative profit - not good for business.

The yen has weakened as well.
I wanted to stick a larger cassette on my daughter's bike but they are back ordered for months. Even something as simple as a cassette!

The yen has weakened as well.
I wanted to stick a larger cassette on my daughter's bike but they are back ordered for months. Even something as simple as a cassette!
What cassette are you looking for? I have a low mileage Shimano CS-HG700 11S 11-34 cassette if you're interested. Its got about 200km on it at most. It came on a Domane SL5 I purchased last December, but I swapped it out almost immediately for an 11-30 cassette.

Longest ride is 178km / 2179m, the most elevation in the shortest distance is probably 2300m / 95km. Just watched that video on GCN about making a hilly 100km loop (continuous loop: no u-turns, no dead ends, no repeat climbs) and made a route that would be 2729m / 99.5km straight out the door, so might give that a go in the autumn.

I cooked up something the other day inspired by the GCN video
103km from okutama with ~3100m elevation, now all I've got to do is actually go out and ride it

After seeing some of the long rides folks have logged, my (giri giri) 200km looks pretty measly. But, anyone looking for a nearby, 200km route utilizing cycling roads and avoiding traffic as much as possible this route fits that bill.

Back
Top Bottom