Locks, Please!

Mar 8, 2009
Tokyo
In Chicago we always had to carry a series of locks. Ulocks, oversized hardened steel chains, cable locks to go through your pedals plus using candle wax for plugging stem bolts and seatpost to prevent thieves from taking away saddles or stems too. So frustrating, you end up having 10kg worth of locks for your 9kg bike.
It was one of the first things that I fell in love with here. You can relax a little. I always carry a lock but nothing superduty though my wife and I did get our rear lights stolen while shopping at our local Yokado shopping center(probably kids, no big deal).
I have noticed watching blogs that there just seems to be more and more bike thefts, lately. Probably because trendy kids have ditched their mama-chari for 200,000-plus yen worth of bike parts whether on fixed, road, mountain, whatever, still doing the same function as a mamachari and free locking them and treating them the same as a mamachari. But I realize, that it is more than just trendy kids that fall under this category.
Please, it's not nearly as bad as Chicago but it could be if minimal efforts aren't made to protect our bikes and not create a breeding ground for real thieves, instead of just kids. For the most part you can get away with a little cable lock, get one and use it, PROPERLY. As this economy further deteriorates I fear that our bikes may become even more of targets. Just my opinion though. Sorry to be so preachy. Keep riding.

Wolfman

Speeding Up
Jul 31, 2007
Suginamiku
Good advice

Not sure what the overall stats and trends are for this type of crime, but on a purely anecdotal level my neighbour had his fixie stolen last year, and one of the lasses in the club had her nice road nice pilfered.

As this economy further deteriorates I fear that our bikes may become even more of targets. Just my opinion though. Sorry to be so preachy. Keep riding.
I also have this fear. Only the other day I, and one of my clients who also mentioned it, have been asked for money at the station. For both of us this was the first such time in Japan. Of course, it was a daily feature of life in the UK, where beggars would sit beneath an ATM and ask if you had any spare change "for a cup of tea"- you learn how to brush these guys off after a while. If Japan becomes more like these other countries where this type of thing is common, then the bikes will definately also become a target.

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
Chofu
My new steed is chained to the wall with a very strong heavy duty motorcycle lock and is in a locked garage.
Last Sunday at Oifuto I left the bike against a bench while I used the toilet in the park (as most riders do) and had a nasty thought. " What if the guy sat on the wall just got on and rode away?"
I wouldn`t do it in the UK:eek:

snoogly

Maximum Pace
Oct 14, 2007
Machida, Tokyo
That's why I asked what you carry!

I'm an MTB type, but my bike cost a bomb, so I want to be able to lock it up securely, if I need to, while out on a ride, but don't want to carry kilos of locks and chains. Even more so for the ultra light, and ultra expensive, road bikes.

Most times I just pray it will still be there when i emerge from the conbenie, loo, bushes - but there are times when I want to lock it up and go for a stroll.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
... Even more so for the ultra light, and ultra expensive, road bikes. ...but there are times when I want to lock it up and go for a stroll.
How is it that those roadies (like me) are going to go for a stroll with the shoes they wear? SPD-SL shoes are not for the strolling-inclined!!

lmlloyd

Warming-Up
Mar 16, 2009
Los Angeles
Just out of curiosity - what kind of locks are you all using? - or should I say, carrying?
I find a fantastic combination is a Kryptonite for the frame, and then locking bolts for everything else. I use Pitlocks, which can be hard to find, but I have seen the scratch marks on them where they have thwarted thieves with tools. I have them on both wheels, and by stem.

Mar 8, 2009
Tokyo
Here in Tokyo, I would use a short but thick cable lock(roughly 30cm long). Small enough to fit in whatever pocket and in my seatbag. Basically serves the purpose as a mini ulock so I lock the rear wheel to the seat tube. Key here is really theft deterrent. Make sure that the lock doesn't look like a pair of children scissors will do the job. A French kid was picked up a few weeks ago for stealing wallets and they asked him why and he said because it's just too easy here. I completely agree, same with anything else, just because the Japanese are nonchalant about their valuables doesn't mean that people who should know better(most foreigners) should be so lax too about our valuables.