What's new

Locking Bikes

tarepanda

Speeding Up
Sep 23, 2011
I've heard that it's illegal to lock bikes to poles/fences in some places in Japan... is this bullshit?

I know the Sheldon method of using a U-lock, but what about the cable? I'm going to be using a Kryptonite mini with a 7-foot cable. Any tips would be appreciated... I'm very nervous about my new investment!

Only a no no in areas marked as no parking for bikes...... thing isthey need to be able to remove the lock to remove the bike..... and with your method its impossible. I know this from first hand experience in Shin-Yokohama with a note saying they tried to remove the bike but couldn't but in future please don't park here.

If they can't remove the lock, that's a good way to park it, right? I figure if the police can't do it..

What should I be doing with the cable with the Sheldon method?

Normally I use the cable to lace things like front wheel, crank spider (If it fits and sometimes saddle (If it has the vented hole in the middle) but most times just a stupid large D-Lock and cable is enough for people to just take one look and think sod it..... there are far more easier targets out their with flexy locks or wire locks.

Okay...I just ordered my Bike on wiggle last week, what kind of lock is appropriate to prevent my bike taken by theft that will fit my saddle bag. :eek: I am wondering if I lock my bike to a street pole with my wire lock are they going to cut it to get to my bike. (theft or the official)

We're in the same situation! I just ordered my bike from Wiggle. I thought about getting a cheap wire lock, but I've heard that you should be okay with spending at least 10% of the bike's value to protect it, which makes sense.

I ended up going for the Kryptonite mini lock because a lot of people recommend it, the smaller U lock makes it harder to wiggle something in there to break it, and I can fit it in a saddlebag easily.

Well, I don't think a wire lock will stop the well equipped cleaning crew to take your bike.

By the way, did you get a tracking number from wiggle? My order was proceed on 9-30, but no tracking number yet. ummm...:eek:

I don't think a wire lock will stop anyone who has a bike multitool and brake cable clippers. That's why I opted for a u-lock.

I haven't gotten a tracking number and my order hasn't been processed. They sold out of the helmet I was ordering, so I asked if they would switch to an in-stock color and never got a reply back.

That true, I need to go check out a local bike store to see if they carry Kryptonite mini lock. Wiggle usually have very good service, so you should get reply soon.

I am wondring, should I register my bike to the koban? I don't really want to put that sticker on my bike.:warau: Well, if someone steal your bike they can just take that sticker away.

My LBS only has huge U-locks, chains, and then the tiny wire locks, so I got my lock from Wiggle. I got everything from Wiggle, actually.

I'm definitely registering my bike. The police have been very good to me when it comes to finding stolen bikes.

May sound like I am trying to be clever, but the best way to not get your bike stolen, is to never leave it in public.

The only time mine ever gets left is for a minute or two outside a combini, fully locked and placed right next to the door while I use the toilet. When entering the combini, I purposefully ask the staff to keep looking at my bike for me.

If there are any dodgy characters lurking, the bike does not get left. No way on earth would I ever leave it for more than 15 minutes anywhere, especially if I was going to be out of the immediate vicinity.

Accident waiting to happen, in my opinion.

This is totally the best idea, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

It isn't at all. In all my years riding, I have never left a bike locked for more than 15 minutes.

You just need to plan ahead.

When I am about to go out on my bike I run through a mental checklist;

-Do I need the toilet, or am I due to need the toilet between here and the place that I can get which has a safe place to put my bike? If yes, you have not planned the previous evenings eating correctly for the ride in hand. I like to get all toilet stuff dealt with before a ride, which often involves espresso doses combined with jumping up and down on the spot, and giving myself surprises in the mirror.

-Will I pass any combinis which have previously allowed me to take my bike inside the shop whilst using the toilet / purchasing items? Again, pre-planning is needed here. (It may be deemed crude to take ones bike into a combini, but the fact is, things get stolen, and if I have to deal with a few moments of social embarrassment in a bit to safeguard my investment, and in doing so leave no trace of me having been there due to a perfectly clean bike, I will do so.

-Why am I out riding? Probably the biggest one for the younger people. If you are the kind of person who goes out riding, then decided to 'get a coffee', or 'look around the shops', and lock your expensive bike up, you deserve to get it stolen. Shopping bikes were invented for a reason...

Sorting that mess out for yourself will save you the worry of having to leave your bikes anywhere.

Just don't leave them. Simple.

I'm sorry my bowel movements aren't as regular or reliable as yours seem to be!

Oh christ, quite the opposite!

The reason I have to plan so thoroughly is because my arse has a mind of it's own.

Anyway, I appear to have derailed this thread with my bot-bot.

On you go!

Same here basically. I rarely ever take a lock with me on my rides. I doubt anyone would target my huge bike in front of conbinis on the country side.

Thats exactly what Jerome thought! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom