What's new

Lock Ring help

theDude

Maximum Pace
Oct 7, 2011
All,

I slapped up a rear wheel off Yahoo, some Fulcrum 7 or something, meant to work with shimano 10 speed. I tried getting my old Ultegra 10 sp cassette on it, but the lock ring doesn't fit at all.

Are there different lock rings across the Shimano line? Or I suppose including SRAM? The hub looks fairly non-descript, a couple of numbers but no maker designation.

I've not really played around much with diff hubs/cassettes too much, so is basically my first time doing it on my own (thinking that I actually know how but this was a bit of a fail).

Any initial thoughts?

Sorry, I can't answer your question. However, it happens that I've been reading about Fulcrum 7 wheels. (Well, other things about them.) And so I can lead you to the company's page about them, which in turn links to informative PDFs.

All,

I slapped up a rear wheel off Yahoo, some Fulcrum 7 or something, meant to work with shimano 10 speed. I tried getting my old Ultegra 10 sp cassette on it, but the lock ring doesn't fit at all.

Are there different lock rings across the Shimano line? Or I suppose including SRAM? The hub looks fairly non-descript, a couple of numbers but no maker designation.

I've not really played around much with diff hubs/cassettes too much, so is basically my first time doing it on my own (thinking that I actually know how but this was a bit of a fail).

Any initial thoughts?

Is your cassette a 10spd?

Fulcrum makes their wheels in only two formats, SRAM/Shimano and Campy, so I would say that either your cassette is wrong or the wheel is in fact a Campy hub.

try gently threading the lock ring on without cassete and that will answers the campy / shimano puzzle. If it fits then check that the wheel is a 10sp. After those checks, come back and tell us hhow you got on. goodl uck

I do beleive SRAM cassettes do not require the spacer between the cassette and the freebody. If you have added that little spacer then the locking ring will not be able to engage with the thread on the freebody.

I did try with the small cog off, and it doesn't engage.

Does Campy have the same style of grooves for the cassette to fit on? (for some reason i thought it was different). This fits fine, it's just the lock ring that doesn't go.

Are all shimano lock rings the same size?

How are the threads on the hub? Have a look to see that they haven't been crossthreaded. I am guessing that the lockring is size correct but the threadings won't gel? After that it's all beyond me as the most I have to play with are 9s.
found this on bikeradar
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16181495 post 12
"I got home from work a bit early today, and decided to dig out my Fulcrum freehub bodies to work out what might be going on.
I've got three: two Shimano compatible ones and one Campy compatible.
One of the Shimano bodies came with the wheels. It seems to be the limited production model for when Shimano had their 'high spline compatible' cassettes.
The second freehub body I bought 2008/2009.
Weirdly, I found the former freehub body uses a Campy lockring (smaller threaded diameter), and the latter a Shimano lockring (larger threaded diameter) - even though they were both designed for Shimano cassettes.
I don't know how old your wheels are, but it might be that, oddly, you need a Campy compatible lockring (despite the freehub body being designed to take a Shimano cassette).
Hope this helps."

Nice, good find. Sounds like this may be it. Will start looking for a campy lock ring and see how it goes.

How are the threads on the hub? Have a look to see that they haven't been crossthreaded. I am guessing that the lockring is size correct but the threadings won't gel? After that it's all beyond me as the most I have to play with are 9s.
found this on bikeradar
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16181495 post 12
"I got home from work a bit early today, and decided to dig out my Fulcrum freehub bodies to work out what might be going on.
I've got three: two Shimano compatible ones and one Campy compatible.
One of the Shimano bodies came with the wheels. It seems to be the limited production model for when Shimano had their 'high spline compatible' cassettes.
The second freehub body I bought 2008/2009.
Weirdly, I found the former freehub body uses a Campy lockring (smaller threaded diameter), and the latter a Shimano lockring (larger threaded diameter) - even though they were both designed for Shimano cassettes.
I don't know how old your wheels are, but it might be that, oddly, you need a Campy compatible lockring (despite the freehub body being designed to take a Shimano cassette).
Hope this helps."

Shimano und Campa freewheel cassette bodies, it is not possible to use shimano cassettes/cogs on Campa bodies and vice versa. If you can use your Shimano cassette on the Fulcrum wheels, it should be equipped with a Shimano body therefore.

Shimano and Campa lock rings have different thread diamesters (Campa being smaller) and a different pattern to interact with the tool to remove and tight the lock ring. If your standard (Shimano) tool fits wit that pattern, you have a Shima no lock ring, otherwise probably a Campa one.

If you can't mount the lock ring even when removing the smallest cogs, the problem is not related to the wrong use of spacers between the cogs so that the built uo becomes too high.

Is the diameter of the threading of the lock ring about right? If yes, it should be the right lock ring in principle, but the threading might be damaged. This would be my best guess after reading the posts. Of course you can also have the misfortune of some weird production mix-up.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to take the wheel to a Shimano dealer and try a new Shimano lock ring. By the way, you will need a different one for 11 and 12 teeth smallest cogs.

If that doesn't help I am afraid that you need to contact the seller.

Well, hate to spoil your pudding - but - most of the early Fulcrums use Campy lockrings for both Shimano AND Campy freebodys. Go figure. After 2009 or so it seems they got their act together and actually used MFG correct freebodies Shimano+Shimano and Campy+Campy. And yes, MOB is 100% correct 11T and 12 T lockrings are different - <thanks , Shimano for providing us 2 different diameter lockrings completely unnecessarily>

Thanks Tim & MOB.

The cassette came off my bike as the original equipment. So the lock ring is the right one for that cassette (i forget whether it is 11 or 12, i think it is 11).

Good to know that the shimano cassette wouldn't fit at all on it, that's good, it means it is at least a Shimano hub.

Are all campy lock rings created equal or is there funniness there for what might actually work with these 'Fulcrum' things?

Yes, I checked the web and it seems that some of the older Fulcrum wheels have been equipped with Campa lock rings on Shimano freehubs (and some not). That would be plausible as Fulcrum is not an independent manufacturer but a brand owned and establihed by Campagnolo in 2004.

So it might well be that you will need a Campa lock ring indeed. If you try to mount the Shimano lock ring on your Fucrum freehub, do you believe it is too big? That might be a positive sign.

You need a special Campa tool to tight the lock ring, you cannot use the Shimano one as the pattern is different. So perhaps it would be a good idea to bring the wheel to the shop and let them try to find the right lock ring and mount it.

So it might well be that you will need a Campa lock ring indeed. If you try to mount the Shimano lock ring on your Fucrum freehub, do you believe it is too big? That might be a positive sign.

Yup, it indeed is too big, doesn't even attempt to engage.

I used to have a campy lock ring tool, because I bought the wrong one originally. Of course, I sold it. hehe.

thanks again, will try to spend some time with it this afternoon.

Y's Maniac in Shinjuku has the lock rings and the tool, btw.

Well, hate to spoil your pudding - but - most of the early Fulcrums use Campy lockrings for both Shimano AND Campy freebodys. Go figure. After 2009 or so it seems they got their act together and actually used MFG correct freebodies Shimano+Shimano and Campy+Campy. And yes, MOB is 100% correct 11T and 12 T lockrings are different - <thanks , Shimano for providing us 2 different diameter lockrings completely unnecessarily>

Actually the only difference is the diameter of the locking disk not the thread - the 11T ring will happily fit over a 12t cog as will a 12T ring.

However ther 12T lock ring will make contact with the chain on a 11t cog and cause the chain to slip. So if the original poster is having issue this is not it.

Actually the only difference is the diameter of the locking disk not the thread - the 11T ring will happily fit over a 12t cog as will a 12T ring.

However ther 12T lock ring will make contact with the chain on a 11t cog and cause the chain to slip. So if the original poster is having issue this is not it.

Right, it is possible to mount a Shimano 12T cog and an 11T lock ring. That doesn't seem to be the issue here, more likely there is a campa lock ring on a Shimano cassette. A Fulcrum special.

Y's Maniac in Shinjuku has the lock rings and the tool, btw.

Thanks, Tim. Went over there yesterday and got a campy lock ring tool and a 10S lock ring. Tested it at home and it goes on as you would expect it to....

Will try it with the cassette later. Need to clean up the cassette while I've got it off first.....

Thanks for the help, interesting quirk, this one.

Back
Top Bottom