What's new

Living in Yokohama area for a while

pesos

Speeding Up
Dec 28, 2020
Hi all,

Used to live in Ebisu back in the day. Wife and kids are here for a year riding out covid (school situation in Texas isn't great) and I'm here as much as possible (so far it's been 2-2.5mo here, 6 weeks or so back in the states). Brought my bike over this time around and have been exploring a bit. Made it down to Enoshima and back the other day which was a lot more enjoyable than riding around Yokohama or the Tsurumigawa (which is fine, but super flat). Looking forward to some climbing! Any regular riders around?

Cheers,
Wes

There's a group that does regular rides on weekends in Yokohama, usually from Motomachi. Sometimes to Miura, sometimes Yabitsu, sometimes Izu. Are you on Facebook?

Hi Wes,
Actually there is a century/gran fondo ride kicking off tomorrow from Zushi at 9:30. Going down to Misaki.. back up around towards Zushi
(for me it will be about 110km or so..).
We could meet along the way if you like...

Ha just saw the other thread. I'm down although I might train down to Zushi from Hodogaya. Where do you all usually meet up?

@pesos we rode yesterday... totaled 121km for me..
we'll have to catch you next time.
Do you use Strava?
TCC and quite a few of us are on there..

Nice! I ended up doing 90 yesterday. Tried to make my way around the peninsula and took what is likely a sort of funky route, but it was beautiful. I am on strava - don't know too much about it but hopefully I'm showing up in there now.

@pesos - when I lived in Chinatown I used to ride Miura often.
This is the route I found to be most enjoyable.

It keeps you off 16 for the most part and gets you a few climbs to keep it interesting.
I started/ended the route in Honmoku because I don't know where you are starting from - however this is where you can jump onto Rt357 from Rt16.

I just looked at my OLD saved routes and found this one too.

we basically did the first ride you had there.. and a few more km from Zushi to my house.. plus the stroll into Kamakura for some amazake!

we basically did the first ride you had there.. and a few more km from Zushi to my house.. plus the stroll into Kamakura for some amazake!
There is more to be done, but I live here now and have explored routes that are hidden little sidewalks and cut throughs... I have even taken a couple set of setps, but admittedly that isn't too fun on the road bike.

There is a fun hilly road under the Enoshima Monorail I enjoy too. Punchy little hills that you can go 100% and reach the top just about when it gets unbearable and a quick descent to recover - rinse& repeat.

There is more to be done, but I live here now and have explored routes that are hidden little sidewalks and cut throughs... I have even taken a couple set of setps, but admittedly that isn't too fun on the road bike.

There is a fun hilly road under the Enoshima Monorail I enjoy too. Punchy little hills that you can go 100% and reach the top just about when it gets unbearable and a quick descent to recover - rinse& repeat.
Yep, I used to live in KugenumaKaigan and I used to do interval training up in around those short hills around KataseEnoshima, Shichirigama.. same rinse/ repeat. Do a couple of laps.. that was always good.
Too old for that now tho.. lol

plus the stroll into Kamakura for some amazake!

... just chiming in to say the amazake was really good! not your standard amazake by a long shot. definitely have to drop by again.

Sounds great! Will check out the routes, thanks. I start from Hodogaya, a bit west of the station. This was the way I muddled through:

Round the peninsula (sort of) | Ride | Strava
Glad you made it down here.
Just an opinion - Clockwise around the peninsula is far more enjoyable than counter-clockwise.
I much prefer to go down the yokosuka side and back up the Hayama/Zushi side.
Also - if you have never been - it is worth riding down to Jogashima and exploring.

This also popped up on my FB today - a ride from 6 years ago I did.

1610318414952.png1610318414952.png

I much prefer to go down the yokosuka side and back up the Hayama/Zushi side.
I second that. (I live in Kamakura)

These are my favorite routes from here:
Also, you can get the ferry at Kurihama port and enjoy the Boso peninsula:
https://www.strava.com/activities/4465811923

I'm riding pretty much every weekend, mostly Saturday, but eventually on Sundays. Let me know if you are interested and we can organize.

Count me in!!! I'm riding pretty much every weekend too (when work doesn't get in the way). That ferry hop over to Chiba from Kurihama and lap around Minami Boso looks like a great ride! I'm on Strava too here.

Back
Top Bottom