What's new

UPDATE Live Thread Watchers List

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
At the top of every thread now, you will see a new bar, with a pair of glasses on the far right.

On the left, you can now see how many people are viewing the thread you are in.

Clicking on the number of people viewing will launch a pop-up to show you the users who are watching the thread.

This works for me.
It seems not to include myself in the count and, since I must be viewing the thread to see the glasses, what do you think to changing "x users" to "x other users"?

Can you clarify;

-When you click on the 'x users' text, and the pop-up appears, are you included on the list?

Can you clarify;

-When you click on the 'x users' text, and the pop-up appears, are you included on the list?

Ah, that's interesting. When I posted the message above, in the bar it said: "Watchers: This thread is being watched by one user."
And, when I clicked on "one user" only the user "TCC" came up.

Now, however, it says: "Watchers: This thread is being watched by two users." And, both my own username and username "TCC" appear when "two users" is clicked.

Also, for your information, the pop-up box that appears when "user(s)" is clicked is now much, much faster than a few minutes ago.

Just tried another thread, and it said there was one user watching again - TCC. I was not included. Check out these two screen shots:

Screen shot 2013-07-20 at 10.29.15 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-07-20 at 10.29.51 PM.png

Thank you for the feedback.

Yes, since launching the upgrade we have tweaked it a few times, so you may have been getting the issues from an earlier version.

If the problems happen again, please do mention it.

Yes, it seems to work.

(But why would I want to know what it says? And why should others know what I do and don't "watch"? This is a solution without a problem, I suspect.)

Works ok here too.

It just takes a page reload to see my own watch/unwatch action reflected to the indication bar (both the number and the list of watchers), while the wording shown under the glasses changes from "Watch Thread" to "Unwatch Thread", or vice versa, instantly.
For me, it's not a problem though.

(But why would I want to know what it says? And why should others know what I do and don't "watch"? This is a solution without a problem, I suspect.)

I agree. It just takes up screen space at the top of each thread, for no practical benefit to most users.

Its really cool how you keep integrating things into our website. Its subtle as well so I don't see any problem with it. I think its interesting to know who is reading if I like.

shouldn`t it read `Live Thread Stalkers List?`

to second Microcord, personally, I don`t want to know how many are `watching a thread`, but then, I don`t see the need to `watch` a thread anyway.

shouldn`t it read `Live Thread Stalkers List?`

to second Microcord, personally, I don`t want to know how many are `watching a thread`, but then, I don`t see the need to `watch` a thread anyway.
let's say you're selling something on the classifieds or looking for more members to build a ride. Maybe you're asking for advice and want to know when an answer comes.
I can see the point of watching a thread but watching the watchers...not sure I get that either.

Any additions of this type fall outside of the necessary core features and are merely extra features; objects of amusement and distraction. Features such as trophies, post-count, members online, most of the profile information, etc., also fall outside of the core engine.

If the general concensus is that a feature is that it is entirely useless, then it can certainly be removed. It should be considered however, that a large number of features are pointless to one extent or another, but still remain.

Anyway, if it is not needed, or worse, unwelcome, we can get rid of it without issue.

Do all these little extras slow down the load times of the pages? And does the site risk bogging down with too many of them?
I've noticed on other forums that upgraded beyond what is usual a lot of people stopped posting. As in it got a little too technical for people who don't use forums much in the first place.

I love this forum version now and seems to be the best one I've ever encountered.

But, sometimes, less is more.

Do all these little extras slow down the load times of the pages?

No. The core of the site remains untouched, and is indeed regularly optimised by the development team. This is not to say that there won't be times when a bug causes issues such as a longer loading time, but this is different from a correctly functioning extra causing a lag; we do not consider correct functionality to include such delays.

And does the site risk bogging down with too many of them?

Any additional functionality is implemented with the following considerations and methods of working very much as the driving force behind creation / inclusion, be that with something we have written ourselves, or any 3rd party add-on we choose to use.

-Enhance the user experience, and add useful functionality on top of the solid core. The core is never changed to fit in extra functionality; if a new feature does not fit the core, the feature itself is worked until it fits.
-Integrate as elegantly as possible with the existing core, and system of operation.

Bogging down, as we see it, only occurs when an existing functionality has its' method of operation lengthened as part of an upgrade. If you can point to anything which has suffered this, then we will revert back to the previous version without hesitation.

I've noticed on other forums that upgraded beyond what is usual a lot of people stopped posting. As in it got a little too technical for people who don't use forums much in the first place.

If possible, would you be able to point in the direction of these forums, either in this thread or via personal message, so we can see what you mean, and in doing so avoid going in that direction.

Back
Top Bottom