What's new

Wiki Linking practices in Wiki

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
The Wiki software is sophisticated, and includes the following feature;

When you make a page, there are two elements to the title;

1. The text title of the page, which is the human readable name of it.

2. The automatically linking name of the page.

Please note, that the name you give in part 2. of the title, is the keyword(s) which will automatically generate a link to that page when referenced anywhere in the WIki.

As such, you do not need to worry about writing actual links anywhere in the Wiki to link to the page you have created; if anybody uses the word you have given in part 2. of your title, anywhere in the Wiki, a link will automatically form.

This is designed to make the Wiki as 'inter-linky' as possible, and to save any need to fiddle around with URL linking.

This does raise the issue of needing to use intelligent naming for part 2. of your title, to ensure that linking actually occurs, of course.

Thank you for the tip. As you know, I'm working on the Popular and useful routes for GPS

Is there a code to disable this super-smart linky-winky function in a particular instance? Otherwise whenever I write 'roads' in a wiki page I will get a link to this page irrespective of context.

@Half-Fast Mike Will investigate and get back to you. For now, let the software do what it does, without manipulating anything with code.

@GrantT Feel free to correct it.

That makes sense. Thanks, @Sibreen.

I changed both, i.e., (1) to Major Roads and (2) to major-roads.

To make the auto-link disappear I had to change the text to something else and then back again. "roads" -> "highways" -> "roads". Now it's gone and I can breath a sigh of obsessive-complusive relief.

I changed both, i.e., (1) to Major Roads and (2) to major-roads.
This effectively disables the auto-link for the "Major Roads" page as "major-roads" is hideous and will almost certainly go unused.

Given that some editors might find the auto-link a nice/useful feature, why not change (2) to "major roads"?
If you want to avoid auto-linking, presumably you could use a synonym for "roads", the singular "road", or some other such linguistic wizardry.
It might also act as a spur for editors to add more roads to the "Major Roads" page.

This effectively disables the auto-link for the "Major Roads" page as "major-roads" is hideous and will almost certainly go unused.
The hyphen is a requirement as it forms part of the page's file name. I think. Anyway I changed the index page to Major Roads and it picked up the link as you would expected. Please feel free to test it though… I'm new at this.

A hyphen is required between words in the Link URL section (the autolinking part) or it will not work (ie, no blank spaces are allowed).

The 'Title' is how the link is displayed on the Wiki, so the Link URL is unrelated to appearance.

@TCC is it possible to have hyperlinks in the Wiki pages display in a contrasting colour, as they do elsewhere? It seems the current set up is black vs black so it's not clear what's clickable and what isn't.

@everyoneelse - if it's possible, do you think that would be better?

Back
Top Bottom