Lever extensions for kids?

Dec 4, 2008
Tokyo
so, my two both got new bikes for Christmas, what we forgot of course was to check that the little fingers could reach the brake levers - anyone know of some kind of lever extension that would fit between the bar and the existing lever?

massa

Warming-Up
Feb 22, 2008
Setagayaku
You don't have to worry about this kind of things, 'cause kids can manage to shift levers which you'll see how they do soon.
On the other hands, you'll find handlebar for someone with short fingers, and supporting braking levers at your nearest bike shops.

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
Tokyo
If they are flat bars, look for an adjustment screw on the inside of the lever body. If you tighten this it will bring the lever closer to the bar. You can see the screw sticking out in this picture.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.merlincycles.co.uk%2Fimages%2Fproduct%2Ffullsize%2F00001072.jpg&hash=4847050f382a6d9d3b1c897b881c803e

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
If its a road bike, you could also do what I did with my daughters bike. Her reach was a little to short and also using the drop bar breaking system was new to her so I installed some suicide breaks the same as TT or Cycle-cross bikes use.

Its a great way to build confidence of a new style of riding as well as more safe for the little ones as they don't need to change hand position suddenly if they need to break in emergency.

Also as Allen correctly points out both drop bar breaks and standard flatbar breaks will have an adjustment screw to allow you to draw the lever closer to the bars and maybe located either on the outside or inside of the lever depending on type.