What's new

Leg warmers slipping like crazy.

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
I bought some Pearl Izumi leg and arm warmers forever ago, and they have really crappy elastic grippers, so they slip down a lot, especially the leg warmers.

I think if I had bought some with silicone bands I wouldn't be having this problem...

But does anyone know a way to add a gripper to warmers?

Wear them under your bibs and the bib elastic will hold them.
PS its nowhere near cold enough to be wearing warmers.....HTFU!!

rubber bands - or safety pins.

Wear them under your bibs and the bib elastic will hold them.
PS its nowhere near cold enough to be wearing warmers.....HTFU!!

I live in Tohoku!!! I'm wearing a skull cap under my helmet and my head still hurts from the cold. I guess I need a helmet cover. In two months I won't be able to ride at all.

I am wearing them under my shorts, and the elastic doesn't hold them up properly, or at least not as well as I would like.

Rubber bands where, exactly?

I had considered safety pins but that doesn't seem like a real solution.

I guess I'll just have to buy some winter cycling tights. I went to my LBS and as always, the first item he hands me is 15,000 yen. Sigh...

I guess I'll just have to buy some winter cycling tights. I went to my LBS and as always, the first item he hands me is 15,000 yen. Sigh...

Some of the ones without pads are quite a bit cheaper. Just wear your normal shorts underneath. I got through last winter just fine doing that.

Get out the needle and thread and shorten the girth of the top opening, Also make sure that you are pulling enough material over your knee so the flexing doesn't pull on the thigh material. You might have some lower leg exposed but socks will cover that. Tights you can buy from uniqlo, get the biggest size and just pull them over your bike shorts.

In two months I won't be able to ride at all.

What? In two months time I have plenty of races in Tohoku.... in the snow yes but racing all the same!

Rubber bands at the top of the thighs - you'll need some big ones used for parcels and the likes

I had considered safety pins but that doesn't seem like a real solution.

Hit the gym and get bigger thighs...... but leg warmers for winter riding isn't the solution mate, thermal bib tights are.

Staples... That's the perfect solution!
If anyone gives you stick for wearing Warmers, just point out the blood!

Elastic no matter what wears out over time. If they are forever ago old maybe it's time to re-up. Otherwise get some merino wool tights. Use suspenders and they'll last a long time. My Giordanas from the early 80s are still fine while my Outwets from last year are already clapped out. I can get about 2-3 seasons out of modern kit and that's about it. Wool lasts much longer.

(I tried a couple dhb wool things from wiggle that were absolute crap. OTOH, I have some woolies that I got in NZ in the 90s that are still going strong. YMMV)

@jdd real NZ merino FTW! Anything else is just junk IMO

@GSAstuto what brands/shops come to mind?

The closest thing to Merino that I use is my base layer. I use the ones from Montbell.

https://www.rapha.cc/merino-leg-warmers/ - I'm lusting after these after yesterday's TDH. I wore thermo bibs w/Outwet warmers (double bagged). The combo was good - but absorbed way too much water in spite of my idea that the Outwets would provide some wicking action. But then prepping for rain is a different story.

If you go synthetic fabrics - then I think the Pearl Izumi, Bicycle Line or other mfg that use a Roubaix type fabric are good options.

http://en.bicycle-line.com/catalogo...rmers/water-repellent-leg-warmers-riparo.html

http://www.pearlizumi.co.jp/goods/cms/detail.php?id=116

What? In two months time I have plenty of races in Tohoku.... in the snow yes but racing all the same!

Rubber bands at the top of the thighs - you'll need some big ones used for parcels and the likes.

Some places in Tohoku snow later, much less, and stop earlier.

Where I live the snow is pretty much on the road all the time, even when it's cleared. After December I won't be able to ride (my road bike, if you meant literally racing on/in the snow) until at least April. Where I lived before it didn't stop snowing until late April and it didn't all melt until almost June.

Also I'm not as hardcore as you. Hehehe.

Hit the gym and get bigger thighs...... but leg warmers for winter riding isn't the solution mate, thermal bib tights are.

My thighs are already too big, even for a cyclist. Thunder does not begin to describe them. If anything my thighs are what's making the warmers slip down when I pull them past the knees.

Elastic no matter what wears out over time. If they are forever ago old maybe it's time to re-up. Otherwise get some merino wool tights. Use suspenders and they'll last a long time. My Giordanas from the early 80s are still fine while my Outwets from last year are already clapped out. I can get about 2-3 seasons out of modern kit and that's about it. Wool lasts much longer.

Well, it was like two or three years ago but I've barely used them to be honest.

Get out the needle and thread and shorten the girth of the top opening, Also make sure that you are pulling enough material over your knee so the flexing doesn't pull on the thigh material. You might have some lower leg exposed but socks will cover that. Tights you can buy from uniqlo, get the biggest size and just pull them over your bike shorts.

I might just try using my running tights over my shorts. Or getting some of those padded liners and using them inside the tights.

Back
Top Bottom