What's new

Lean muscle development and health

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
So I've been doing some reading and when I was in Vancouver I spoke to a few nutritional consultants about my health, and my goals and activities.

I've been loosing weight and I'm at what I feel is a good weight to height ratio (61kg, 179cm) and I feel good, but I want to develop lean muscle mass and stay healthy. I was told that if I am not taking in enough protein, carbs, vitamins etc that I run the risk of having my body taking what it needs from itself.

Currently I have been training (un structured) 3 days a week and a 100+km ride per week, and I will start a training program in April that will have me riding 4-5 days a week. I take High5 4:1 right after all rides currently and I do all appropriate in-ride, pre ride nutrition.

I am thinking of adding a protein drink, a regular whey protein or a High5 protein, after rides both training and longer rides.

Any advice, experience

I have to use the HIGH 5 Recovery Protien before and after every ride as I also run the risk of the body consuming itself (6% body fat). I also use the 4:1 carb drink as well as the High5 Super carbs drink durring the ride and off the bike.

I would recommend using milk with the smooth chocolate HIGH 5 Recovery Protien as it not only tastes amazing but you also get all the benifits from 500ml of milk :D

I also have to take other suppliments to balance things out (it's impossible to eat my daily calorific intake, otherwise I would just spend the day eating rather than training)

I have to use the HIGH 5 Recovery Protien before and after every ride as I also run the risk of the body consuming itself (6% body fat). I also use the 4:1 carb drink as well as the High5 Super carbs drink durring the ride and off the bike.

I would recommend using milk with the smooth chocolate HIGH 5 Recovery Protien as it not only tastes amazing but you also get all the benifits from 500ml of milk :D

I also have to take other suppliments to balance things out (it's impossible to eat my daily calorific intake, otherwise I would just spend the day eating rather than training)

6% that makes me look like a tubby little one (9.5%), but this is good info as I was hoping that I could use the 4:1 and Recovery Protein together.

Oh and I'm also a fan of 4:1 and soy milk :)

Cheers

Also you might want to look at mixing in some Ribose to the recovery drinks just to help the body maintain energy levels, I only use it after some seriously heavy training sessions or durring-after races.

I'd suggest getting a local consultation and program defined by a real coach. When you start real workouts that exceed more than the casual funrides most of us are doing, everything changes. If cycling is the sport you are undertaking, then having experienced, holistic, guidance will not only help you achieve the goals you set, but also help you avoid injuries and potential illness. You can't really 'shotgun' this stuff. And while there's alot of anecodotal data and information floating around (the web especially) , nothing takes the place of a good coach who is following your progress and helping you manage the efforts, diet and practice ongoing.

Good advise and if could afford it I would do that. Perhaps I should look into the costs

Protein shakes, Reflex Tri-Matrix and dead lifts as heavy as a Ford Focus on top of your riding will turn you into a proper hooligan.

Yeah my buddy is starting the dead-lifts and the shakes.

Any alternative ideas for working out at home?

Nothing beats deadlifts and bench pressing for rapidly and drastically improving your strength - done properly, you can move up to some SERIOUS lifts in a couple of months. The downside being, that when you go properly heavy on them, you need around 4 days of recovery before you go again, which is fine if you are only lifting weights.

Nothing you can do at home can match this, but look into Static Contration for a mild alternative.

Nice. I learnt everything I know down the White Swallow gym.

Get into deadlifts. No hand straps until you get over 160kg, or that makes you a fanny.

Nothing beats deadlifts and bench pressing for rapidly and drastically improving your strength - done properly, you can move up to some SERIOUS lifts in a couple of months. The downside being, that when you go properly heavy on them, you need around 4 days of recovery before you go again, which is fine if you are only lifting weights.

Nothing you can do at home can match this, but look into Static Contration for a mild alternative.

Thanks

The thing is, you dont need a membership at a fancy gym to do deadlifts. If you get into them over a couple of weeks to get your form right and break yourself in, you only then need to go to the cheapest ghetto gym out there, pay 100yen for an hour or whatever, warm up, go utterly and atom-shreddingly heavy, until you just about faint, then dont go again for a whole 10 days.

If you do it right, and go as heavy as a whole bastard planet, with no messing about, it will hammer your entire body and you will feel like you have been hit by a truck for a day. You will also launch into protein eating mega-autopilot. The gains will be noticeable immediately.

If you do it right, and go as heavy as a whole bastard planet, with no messing about, it will hammer your entire body and you will feel like you have been hit by a truck for a day. You will also launch into protein eating mega-autopilot. The gains will be noticeable immediately.

I'm not really wanting to go super hardcore at this point, but I like what I've heard about the full body benefits of squats

Yeah, that is similar to Static Contraction, in that it uses your own body (clue is in the title, I know.)

However, 1,453yen for that book.

That is 14 sessions down a 100yen municipal gym.

In 14 sessions, j-sworks could have 3 deadlift intro sessions to get himself into it, plus 11 more sessions of deadlifting, each with 10 days in between, so that is around 3 months of deadlifting, for the same price :) Admittedly, this amount of money will pale into insignificance when compared to the vast amounts of protein and sleeveless Global Hypercolour T-Shirts he will be buying, however. Not to mention the mega-baggy vertical striped training trousers, lifting belt, chalk, and permed mullet bleach highlights.

Also, 3 months of going mental on deadlifts might even make him too muscular!

Back
Top Bottom