What's new

Lean muscle development and health

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Yeah, that is similar to Static Contraction, in that it uses your own body (clue is in the title, I know.)

However, 1,453yen for that book.

That is 14 sessions down a 100yen municipal gym.

In 14 sessions, j-sworks could have 3 deadlift intro sessions to get himself into it, plus 11 more sessions of deadlifting, each with 10 days in between, so that is around 3 months of deadlifting, for the same price :) Admittedly, this amount of money will pale into insignificance when compared to the vast amounts of protein and sleeveless Global Hypercolour T-Shirts he will be buying, however. Not to mention the mega-baggy vertical striped training trousers, lifting belt, chalk, and permed mullet bleach highlights.

Also, 3 months of going mental on deadlifts might even make him too muscular!

I am all in for the pants; too muscular...probably not ever...

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
I think that what you eat is more important than how much you eat. I would have said that for the amount of training you will be doing (4 to 5 days) you wont need to be suddenly taking lots of protein drinks and eating vast amounts. I have been trying to eat far more vegetables recently. Plenty of varied veg helps. Obviously eating good lean meats will help you get protein but I believe veg is very important too. I'm not a great believer in all these sports foods personally although I do sometimes take whey protein shakes. I did 100.6km of running in the last 6 days with only one protein shake. Can't say I felt any better after taking it though. I often prefer natural shakes with lot fat milk, honey, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and the like. There are loads of pre and post natural shakes out there that taste better than the sports foods that companies are churning out.
WRT lifting weights , obviously moderation is important at the start. Going all gung ho like Owen describes is a sure fire way to end up injured.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Yeah, that is similar to Static Contraction, in that it uses your own body (clue is in the title, I know.)

However, 1,453yen for that book.

That is 14 sessions down a 100yen municipal gym.

In 14 sessions, j-sworks could have 3 deadlift intro sessions to get himself into it, plus 11 more sessions of deadlifting, each with 10 days in between, so that is around 3 months of deadlifting, for the same price :) Admittedly, this amount of money will pale into insignificance when compared to the vast amounts of protein and sleeveless Global Hypercolour T-Shirts he will be buying, however. Not to mention the mega-baggy vertical striped training trousers, lifting belt, chalk, and permed mullet bleach highlights.

Also, 3 months of going mental on deadlifts might even make him too muscular!

Never trust anyone who implies 1400 yen is too much to spend on a book when they have spent a gazillion bazillion dollars on their bike ;)

onm

Sep 2, 2009
He is looking to build lean muscle. The most effective way to do this is with deadlifts. End of story. With correct form, he will not get injured. Fruit and Veg, while essential, do not build muscle. Protein does.

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
He is looking to build lean muscle. The most effective way to do this is with deadlifts. End of story. With correct form, he will not get injured. Fruit and Veg, while essential, do not build muscle. Protein does.

Indeed the dead lift has been suggested by several people in the know.

Now I just need to get some of those fancy pants so that I look the part ;)

onm

Sep 2, 2009

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Fortunately or not that will never be me.

You've seen me; I just get all Bruce lee, not hulk hogan

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
Hmmm Just hope the tongue in cheek "dead weight all you can" isn't taken too seriously. I noted you suggested 3 "intro" sessions and I hope j-sworks takes that hint to take it a little lightly at first. I always found the best approach in the warm up period to the rugby season was start with a weight that allows you to do 11-12 lifts straight off - that should then allow you to complete another 3 sets of 8 with only the last set being difficult to complete. Once into the season I would up the weight to be able to only do sets of 6 with the last set being nearly impossible beyond 5. Oh yea, and slow jog to the gym to warm up, but not reduce the power available for the weights

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Hmmm Just hope the tongue in cheek "dead weight all you can" isn't taken too seriously. I noted you suggested 3 "intro" sessions and I hope j-sworks takes that hint to take it a little lightly at first. I always found the best approach in the warm up period to the rugby season was start with a weight that allows you to do 11-12 lifts straight off - that should then allow you to complete another 3 sets of 8 with only the last set being difficult to complete. Once into the season I would up the weight to be able to only do sets of 6 with the last set being nearly impossible beyond 5. Oh yea, and slow jog to the gym to warm up, but not reduce the power available for the weights

I always take it easy at first when it comes to lifting weights, as I don't spend a lot of time doing that.

Top Bottom