What's new

Lake Motosu Questions

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
This weekend weather permitting I plan to ride to Lake Motosu as some of my friends are camping there. They're kind enough to take all my camping crap out there for me so it's gonna be a good opportunity so hit some of the climbs out that way, and do the azami line on the way home on Sunday.

I plan on riding my usual haunt, R35 to Tsuru city, R139 followed by R137 to get to Kawaguchi ko and then ride the lakes on day 1 and possibly climb Motosu Toge.

My question then, is R139 hideously overrun with trucks and traffic? Any alternate route suggestions? All advice welcome as I've never ridden out that way:) Is it quieter to come from Yamanako up R138?

Also, all speedy riders welcome for R35 on Saturday, where you can peel off and hit Matsuhine or Douzaka Toge, or on Sunday meeting up at the Azami line for some old fashioned pain! Thanks in advance....

Mike,
139 is doable but it's not very nice. Pretty crowded. If you've got the legs (if....:p) I suggest taking Doshi toge (rt. 24) at the end of 34 to Yamanakako, then taking rt 717 at the west side of Yamanakako and rt 137 to bring you to Kawaguchiko.

Might join you on Sat or Sun. Let me know your approx times at the big chilli (I suppose) on Sat and Azami on Sun.

AW.

Mike,
139 is doable but it's not very nice. Pretty crowded. If you've got the legs (if....:p) I suggest taking Doshi toge (rt. 24) at the end of 34 to Yamanakako, then taking rt 717 at the west side of Yamanakako and rt 137 to bring you to Kawaguchiko.

Might join you on Sat or Sun. Let me know your approx times at the big chilli (I suppose) on Sat and Azami on Sun.

AW.
Thanks for the info Alan, will check out the maps and let you know the times:D

Mike,

Camping at Motosu-ko is fantastic; we were there three weeks ago.

If you come off 35 into Tsuru and go straight across 139 and the railroad tracks you can actually take a less crowded road on the other side of the highway quite a long ways toward Kawaguchi-ko. Eventually you cross the river and feed into 718 that takes you up into Fuji Yoshida. You probably end up meandering a bit so going straight up 139 would be quicker but it is not a bad way to go. If you can, taking the road around Lake Sai before getting back on 139 for the last stretch to Motosu-ko is well worth it. Cheers, Alan

Mike,

Camping at Motosu-ko is fantastic; we were there three weeks ago.

If you come off 35 into Tsuru and go straight across 139 and the railroad tracks you can actually take a less crowded road on the other side of the highway quite a long ways toward Kawaguchi-ko. Eventually you cross the river and feed into 718 that takes you up into Fuji Yoshida. You probably end up meandering a bit so going straight up 139 would be quicker but it is not a bad way to go. If you can, taking the road around Lake Sai before getting back on 139 for the last stretch to Motosu-ko is well worth it. Cheers, Alan

Hmm thanks Alan, that might be a better option heading out so I don't have to climb Douzaka Toge (R24) and can save my climbing legs for seomething new, perhaps Motosu Toge:) That road seems to link up nicely with R718 above the Chuo Expressway. Have you ridden on that also? I wonder what it's like?

And Alan W I'll use your section of R718 on Sunday as I head towards Yamanako to hit the Azami line.

Mike, as the two Alans say, route 139 up towards Kawaguchiko is not that nice. There aren't that may trucks (they take the toll road) but it is a constant line of cars and the road is not wide enough for them to pass you easily with traffic coming from the other side. All the while you are labouring against a steady incline of 5% or more. I haven't taken the parallel streets, but they do exist and should be fine to take.

If I were you, I would still take Doshimichi. With an early start the traffic is quite OK... And then you either take the backroads into Fuji-Yoshida or you have a blast on route 138 - slightly downhill and with likely strong back wind. The road is wide too and you can benefit from the draft of the cars as well. This part is fun despite (or because of) the traffic.

I'm not sure where Motosu Toge is - do you mean the highest point of route 71? There is a nice vista point overlooking the lake and the Minami Alps range in the back. Fantastic if the weather is great. It's not that much of an altitude though - and not that steep a climb. No need to save your legs for that...

Have fun!

Thanks Ludwig, the weather isn't looking good for this one, so weather permitting Alan I'll be at Big Chlli at 10am and not sure about the azami line time....I'll let you know later.

Thanks for all the info on this guys, but due to tomorrow's weather report being quite grim I decided I didn't feel like cycling 5 hours in the rain.

Back
Top Bottom