What's new

Lake Haruna Cingeles

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
This month Club Astuto will be holding its first official brevet style tour around the beautiful Lake Haruna Area. Enjoy a stay at a rustic cabin get away and a barbeque by Japan Outdoor Adventures. After our long ride we can enjoy a near by onsen hot springs to rest our tired legs.

This brevet will have 3 courses designed for all level riders to be able to complete. The goal is to complete 3 climbs up Mt. Haruna within a set time. (10hrs) For every climb completed riders will get a decorative stamp card with special stamps for each climb.

To pre-register, questions, please email / msg me or visit the event site.

We're still fleshing out some of the details - but the basics are:

Date: July 21st (Sat) (Arrive Friday and/or leave Sunday is open)
Cost:
Option 1: 10,000 yen (includes 1 night and 3 meals) 2500yen additional night.*
Option 2: 6000 yen (includes 2 meals)*
Option 3: 3000 yen (includes 1 meal)*

* We are also making donation from the proceeds to the Tyler Foundation after basic expenses are covered (bungalow rental, food, van support). This is a non-profit event!

Courses: There are 3 main climbs to Lake Haruna and a nice loop around the Lake itself. We'll be setting courses that allow almost any ride level to enjoy. So this is definitely Beginner to Advanced friendly!

Support: We'll have a dedicated Van (sag wagon) to ferry riders from the station (if required) and also support mechanicals or dropouts within reason.

This is our first stab at organizing a Euro style event, so be gentle with the flames! We'll do our best to make sure this is alot of fun and some great riding. Eric and I have already recon'd the area and the cabins and they are super nice.

This will be a good tune-up, by the way, for the following Norikura Challenge.

今月、榛名山湖の地方にクラブAstutoは最初のブレヴレースタイルツールをします。Japan Outdoor Adventuresのキャビンで泊まってバーベキューを楽しみます。ライドの後で近くの温泉にゆっくりでリラックスします!

このブレブレーは三種類あります。初心者からアドバンスライダーまで参加できます。ゴールは制限時間に榛名山の三つの峠を登ります。全部の峠を登ったら特別装飾的なスタンプカードと特別の銘じるをもらいます。

受付の情報はすぐ来ます

Is there a map of the route on MMR or RWGPS yet?

We'll be posting it tonite. But basically - starting from the lodge here - 榛名山町295-5, 高崎市, 群馬県 Then - for those not in the beginner group:

1) Descend down, then go to the next climb - to the top, loop the lake, descend, cross to the next ascent, loop the lake and then the final descent, cross and ascend to the lake.

2) At that point, then descend back to the lodge. If you look on the map you can see 3 main climbs in kind of an 'M' Pattern - that is what we will be riding in this first event.

3) Perhaps at later date - if this goes well, we'll do it more like the real Cingeles du Ventoux and let riders complete as many climbs they can within a 24hr period. But I'm concerned about the safety - especially the descents, so we'll start with this kinder, gentler version.

Bear in mind - there is also the opportunity to ride out from Tokyo (Arakawa, Kumagaya, etc) which is a pretty nice ride. And / or back again. Eric and I did similar and aside from a section on the main hwy - which really wasn't too bad, it was a great ride.

Looks like fun, I'll have to check my schedule

Hi Guys,

I will have a map, and schedule ready for everyone to see by tomorrow morning! Haruna is an untouched cycling heaven hidden in a forest with a great little town and lake at the top. Definitely something you don't want to miss!

I'm sorry I can't make this one, My wife was kind enough to remind me of the commitments I have made for Sunday!

It would be good if you could plan these events with a little more notice.

We'll be repeating this event, so hopefully you'll have a chance to make it again. Why not take the wife and little one as well? Haruna is a beautiful place to spend a day or 2.

I'm sorry I can't make this one, My wife was kind enough to remind me of the commitments I have made for Sunday!

It would be good if you could plan these events with a little more notice.

I'll keep my eyes open for the next one for sure, as soon as I get my visa I'll be heading for the Yen!

I'm hoping the wheels will be my last foray into my Canadian funds;)

Here is the updated schedule:

Cingles du Haruna
Friday 金曜日 7/20
Option 1: Leaving from Tokyo at 6:30 am. Ride from Tokyo to Mt. Haruna (150km 4 rider minimum)
Riders may put their bag in our van to be delivered to Mt. Haruna (1 bag limit).
オプション1:東京から6:30AM出発。東京から榛名山まで自転車で行きます。車で荷物を送る事は可能です(1人1個まで)。
Option 2:Take the train to Takasaki Station via the Shounan Shinjuku line. There will be a van to pick up riders and bikes at 6:30pm. Those who arrive early are encouraged to ride to the camp destination. Anyone arriving late can take a second shuttle at 8:00 pm.

オプション2:湘南新宿ラインで高崎駅まで電車で行きます。18:30に車がライダーと自転車を駅まで迎えに行きます。早く到着した方はキャンプまで自転車で行くことも可能です。遅い到着の方は20:00pmにまた車が迎えに行きます。

19:00-21:00
Spaghetti Buffet Dinner
スパゲティ食べ放題ディナー

21:15
Event Opening Presentation
開会式・説明会

Saturday 土曜日 7/21
6:00am-8:00am
Pancake Buffet Breakfast
パンケーキ食べ放題朝ごはん

8:00am
Advanced Course Official Start
上級コーススタート
8:30am
Beginner and Intermediate Course Official Start
初心者&中級コーススタート

18:00pm
Official Time Limit
オフィシャル・タイムリミット

19:00pm
Barbeque and Closing Ceremony
バーベキューと閉会式

Saturday Evening Return (1 option chosen by majority vote)
土曜日の夕方帰る方 (多数決で以下いずれかのオプションを決定)

Option 1:
7:45pm
Van leaves for Takasaki station with riders and bikes. Take the 9:04pm train via Shounan Shinjuku line to Tokyo (Shinjuku station).
オプション1:
19:45に車でライダーと自転車を高崎駅まで送ります。21:04発の湘南新宿ラインで新宿駅へ。

Option 2
8:30pm
Van leaves for Takasaki station with riders and bikes. Take the 9:45pm train via Takasaki line to Akabane. Transfer to 11:27pm Saikyo line to Shinjuku.
オプション2:
20:30に車でライダーと自転車を高崎駅まで送ります。21:45発の高崎ラインで赤羽駅で乗り換えて、23:27に埼京線で新宿へ。

Sunday 日曜日 7/22
Light breakfast
朝ごはん無し
Option 1
Van leaves for Takasaki station with riders and bikes. Take the 9:15am train via Shounan Shinjuku line to Tokyo (Shinjuku Station)
オプション1:
車でライダーと自転車を高崎駅まで送ります。9:15に湘南新宿ラインで新宿駅へ。

Option 2
Leaving from Mt.Haruna at 8:00am. Ride back to Tokyo (150 km 4 rider minimum). There will be a stop in Takasaki for breakfast.
Riders may put their bags in our van to be delivered to Shinjuku Station
オプション2:
榛名山から8:00am出発。榛名山から東京まで自転車で帰ります(150km)
車で荷物を新宿駅まで送る事は可能です。

This looks great, I will not know if I can go until the Monday before. Would that be too late? Also, any where to ride a cyclocross bike there?

That should be fine. We have 4 bungalows reserved already. Lots of small rindos up there - I was thinking the same thing. Getting kind of antsy for CX again!

This looks great, I will not know if I can go until the Monday before. Would that be too late? Also, any where to ride a cyclocross bike there?

Tim and Eric,
(AND Naoko-san!),

Thank you for all the fun up in Haruna lake Fri.~yesterday, on behalf of my friends; Hiroshi, Oggi, and Sue.
I really appreciate you accepting us in such a short notice.

We enjoyed the beautiful and holy (I noticed a sign stating that we were riding through the Haruna shrine grounds) environment and the friendly atmosphere!
Nice meeting everyone and playing with the kids too.

Chikako

Thanks to everyone who participated in our inagural mini-sportive. Though the weather was a bit on the dicey side, it was great fun and alot of challenging riding. Chikako, you must be QOM of the Haruna Jinga Route now! Can't wait for the next one - I'm already cooking up some new ideas. Great to meet all the new faces, too - and thanks to Hiroshi san for bringing in the iPad with the live TDF feeds!

Back
Top Bottom