What's new

Help Kyoto Cycling Club?

Simon-kun

Cruising
Sep 9, 2013
Hi guys, I have recently accepted a job in Kyoto, since my move from Chiba I have had more time to ride. I want to start training seriously and prepare to race again. I have been looking in vain for a cycle club like TCC in Kyoto or Osaka. Does any one know of a club with some expats or English speaking locals? Or am I on my own out here in the wild west?

I met a few guys who live out that way recently. I'll pass on some info when I get home later.
Another thing to do might be to have a look at some of the Strava segments in the area and follow some profiles, do some stalking and see what Strava clubs, if any, they are in. Alternatively make contact through Strava itself.

Cool, Thanks for your help.... Yeah I have been doing some Strava stalking, working out how far away I am to being remotely competitive. I'll follow some guys and hope they are friendly enough to let a gaijin tag along.. Cheers Musashi13

The Kansai area has an active cycling community and they are generally more open and friendly that the folk around these parts, in my limited experience.

I found moving to a new town, find a bike shop that has good quality bikes, go in and ask them if they have a racing team. Go from there as there are always people either on the way out or on the way up that will be very near your level. Even if you never race you'll make new friends and find new routes. Good luck.

My idea exactly George5, the issue was when I arrived at the local race shop the owner was really reluctant to be open with an offer to join team rides knowing my limited Japanese. I will search other shops in my area or beyond. Thanks for the help.
Personally I find it rather odd you join a shop team instead of a local club. This could be the inherent issue with Japanese cycling on a competitive level.

Try these guys, in the FAQ they encourage anyone with any bike bought anywhere to come along. They are asking for new members. Maybe ask someone who is good at Japanese to make the first contact for you. http://toyo-rt.com/

Find the good local hills and get out there and you will find people if you are open and friendly. Stay in the city and it will be a lot harder.

Try these guys, in the FAQ they encourage anyone with any bike bought anywhere to come along. They are asking for new members. Maybe ask someone who is good at Japanese to make the first contact for you. http://toyo-rt.com/

Thanks George5 I'll give Toyo-rt a go....

Find the good local hills and get out there and you will find people if you are open and friendly. Stay in the city and it will be a lot harder.

For sure, I stay well clear of the city. I can't clip in so I avoid built up areas where I may have to stop. The hills around my place are great, jumping on someones wheel should become interesting, I like this encouragement. Thanks guys for all the help so far.....

Hello there!
Quite a few guys in Kyoto, and some AWESOME riding.

I am down in Kobe/Osaka but head to Kyoto whenever I can.

Check out:

Noru Cycling Club
Kyoto Cycling Group on Facebook

If you just need specific routes, PM me.
My good buddy knows and has mapped out a lot of kyoto routes (many gravel routes) and planned a lot of the earlier Rapha rides.

Also, that Noru group, mentioned above, has weekly rides that are open to all levels.
Some of the guys will also head out for some serious/longer rides in the hills around Kyoto.
Personally I would not bother with a lot of the shop rides as they spend more time chatting or "pottering" than they do actually riding.

Thanks for your post Trek Dj, really helpful... I will PM you when I find out what it means (guessing private message). Cheers

Back
Top Bottom