What's new

Kusatsu 2012

Wolfman

Speeding Up
Jul 31, 2007
I got my forms in the post today for the Kusatsu Hill Climb Race, 2012. A bit glossier than in previous years...

http://www.sportsentry.ne.jp/event.php?tid=29061

Application period: 1 January to 13 March (though earlier is better)

Date: Sunday, 22 April

Total Elevation: 768m (to 2,012m)

Distance: 12.3km

The Sportsentry form is here. Please register under "TCC", so we all appear as one team.

Last year's TCC performance here. This is a view of the descent, expertly handled by Thomas.

Who else will be going?

Still haven't decided which to enter, Kusatsu or Yatsugatake(a week before Kusatsu)...

HTFU and do both!! Seriously, see no reason why you can`t do both with proper time for resting/recovery after Yatsugatake; won`t affect your performance. The alternative is to use Yatsugatake as actual race-specific training for Kusatsu.

Yeah, actually I'm thinking to do both. Start the year with 2 podiums. (goal). This year is no more mr fixie nice guy.last year managed to slot into the top 20 on a fixed gear so, no reason why I shouldn't amp it up a bit.

I will do both! I agree with Andy, at last a couple of events within a reasonable time apart !

I enjoyed the descent clip! :D Unfortunately I cant make the Kusatsu weekend, but have signed up for Yatsugatake. It sounds tough:warau:

Just signed up. :)

The Sportsentry form is here. Please register under "TCC", so we all appear as one team.

I just signed up for Yatsugatake. Looking forward to it!
I have a conflict the weekend of April 22 so will pass on Kusatsu.

I see that the Yatsugatake race has a heavyweight class.....
Over 75kg! Surely there are no cyclists that heavy?;)

I see that the Yatsugatake race has a heavyweight class.....
Over 75kg! Surely there are no cyclists that heavy?;)

Will participants be weighted before the race? Weight penalties for light riders? I'm at 90kg currently, so this is a big incentive for me. But if they basically heavy over 75kg, what does that make me?

I'm looking to register for the HC events. Does anyone know whether the forms are available in English language? I'm guessing that they may not be, but figured it was worth asking. If not, I'll seek some translation assistance from my work colleagues. Thanks in advance.

For what it's worth - I made a post (and video) about how to do this.

http://www.roadfixie.com/?s=SportsEntry

I'm looking to register for the HC events. Does anyone know whether the forms are available in English language? I'm guessing that they may not be, but figured it was worth asking. If not, I'll seek some translation assistance from my work colleagues. Thanks in advance.

Hotels in Kusatsu

After a great adventure that was the Ryusei HC back in November, I registered for the Kusatsu HC. I am already thinking about booking a hotel room for me and my family. Any recommendation?

I am thinking of a simple room, not too expensive and not too far away from the start line.

Also, how do non-participants get to the top. Are cars allowed to drive to the top before the race begins?

I stayed in Kusatsu for ten days this August, for the Music Academy. Haven't participated in the race, but have done the hill many times.

There is a "pension mura" with lots of pensions. Japanese pensions were first developed in Kusatsu. They are relatively basic including the food, but acceptable. The town site should have a link to most of them, so you can book them quite easily. They will be full with cyclists so if you don't like that you should look for more expensive onsen or hotel accommodation.

Quick FAQ:

1) book your room asap. it fills immediately and mainly is filled already a year or 2 in advance.

2) outside a bit are more expensive pension - up to about 12,000 yen /night, but within riding distance easily to the start.

3) buses will take spectators to the top and halfway point. but they need to wait again until whole race is finished to go back down

4) it can be cold. make sure you dress appropriately - especially if you're spectating

5) try to spend a day before the event to enjoy all the onsen activity. a day after the event it's literally a ghost town.

6) train goes almost to kusatsu - then you need to bus or ride from there. it's not far, but carrying all your stuff can be a bit burdensome - better to take bus if you want to be totally fresh the next day for racing. (see #5)

A few more points:

- If you ride from Naganohara Kusatsuguchi, take the old r292 to Kusatsu, i.e. the one more to the east. It's longer, but has far less traffic. The new one is very busy, quite steep and except for the last part quite narrow without a shoulder. It was scary when I sat in a speeding bus overtaking a couple of cyclists working their way up there.

- The buses take a bike into the luggage compartment if properly wrapped.

- Kusatsu is a damp hole in summer. Must have more rainfall in a week than Tokyo in a year. Best to visit in snow or in spring - i.e. the race is not a bad time (relative to the rest of the year).

Back
Top Bottom