What's new

KT8 - O-Toge re-run!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
This ride will be very similar to the "KT6" ride we did two weeks ago:
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=694
But with a slight difference…
Last time was a 'Time-Trial' kind of race, with everyone out to go as fast as possible, non-stop to the top.
This time however, some of the "Kusatsu" riders have expressed interest in doing O-Toge as well (namely the "Go-Go-Gals", Nobu & Shinobu).
Therefore, what I propose is a "Social / Group" ride, and a last chance "Training opportunity" for all those going in the "Tour de Kusatsu" race the following week.
If your name is on this list, it will probably benefit you all to try O-Toge!

Sora
Thomas
Nobu
Shinobu
Sha
Ash
Pete
Mike
Yasuhiro
SHIBAGON
Juno
Charles
Aaron
Sergey
Okey
Arai

Kusatsu is: 13km at 6.5%.
O-Toge is: 16km at 8%.

O-Toge, is longer & steeper than Kusatsu, so if you can do this climb, "Kusatsu" will seem so much easier!

For the faster riders who want to try and break the 1hr:10min record:
TOM
Christoph
Thomas
Deej
Aaron
Ben
Lee
Mike
…etc….Go for it!!! Please come along too!

As organizer of what might turn out to be a large-group ride, I won't be able to "race" this time, but will use it as a warm-up (might even try it in the "outer-ring") for the race… and I'll also be carrying a back-pack.

Meeting times & places:
Otsuki station at 9:30 (or earlier).
Roll out at 10:00am exactly!

4km from Otsuki, we'll hit the turn-off / START!
Once everyone is safely back down at the bottom of the climb, we'll turn onto Rte.509 (TOM's suggestion), and do another short climb up & over to Rte.35. From there, we'll have a great downhill to Uenohara before doubling back to Otsuki on Rte.20 to pick up our bags and return home on the train!
Here's the "half" map:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/otsuki/944673340

Hope to see as many of the Kusatsu-riders as possible!
Travis

School day

I've been dragooned into attending a PTA meeting on Saturday. Hopefully this ride is planned for Sunday... Hint, hint.

Aaron

I'll join you this time, Travis!
This will be my second time on o-toge, as I went there on Sunday, after de la Pink - it was the most pleasant downhill I ever experienced! :rolleyes: ...and the coldest as well, however - had to stop halfway to warm my hands.

...meaning 3 toges: O-toge, Suzugane-toge, Hinazuru-toge

Will try to be there again Travis for another Kusatsu rehearsal. I went there again last Sunday trying to break your record...with nobody around though there was not enough pressure and I ended up doing the second part from the gate at a leisurely pace clocking a time of only 1:20 or so. Saw plenty of monkeys crossing the road! Yes, I recommend Rte. 509 to get to Rte. 35. You will scale a small hill only 727m high (that is small compared to 1,560m of O-toge) called 鈴ヶ音峠 Suzugane (the name is not on any map and there are different names as well). Descend all the way (don't make the left turn to "British" golf course) until you hit Rte. 35 and from there you turn left direction Uenohara (you still need to go over Hinazuru-toge and ride through the tunnel there). About 3k or so from the tunnel on the right side, there is a manju bun shop popular among cyclists.

BTW...has anybody received any notice yet from the Kusatsu organizers? I haven't but I suppose this should be real soon now.

Once everyone is safely back down at the bottom of the climb, we'll turn onto Rte.509 (TOM's suggestion), and do another short climb up & over to Rte.35. From there, we'll have a great downhill to Uenohara before doubling back to Otsuki on Rte.20 to pick up our bags and return home on the train!

OK to go !

Travis,

Back in old Edo now and raring to go even with a 1kg gain from two weeks and three weekends of inactivity !!

Sunday is better for me too.....but if it has to be Saturday then so be it :)

I have also not heard anything from the Kusatsu organisers yet.

Charles

Count me in! :)

I and my waistline shall be glad to hit the mountains next Saturday after two sad (and busy) weeks of abstinence! Who's going to ride out to Otsuki?

Hi Travis. I'll be there if it can be Saturday. Am otherwise committed Sunday. Sounds like a nice course. B

Saturday!

Sorry guys (Aaron & Charles),
It has to be Saturday.
>Chazzer: You did say you'd still be able to make it, right?

For everyone else,
Thomas, Ben, TOM, Sergey, Deej: You guys know where to meet!

I'll be following Peter (Edogawakikkoman)'s team captain's advice & will take it extra light - My hard training is done (seven "KT" rides over some of the best mountains is enough). I just need to save it all for Kusatsu!

The list so far:
Travis
Thomas
Deej
TOM
Ben
Charles
Sergey
Nobu
Shinobu.

See you all there!
Travis

Saturday !

will be fine :D

Charles

Train Times

Meeting times & places:
Otsuki station at 9:30 (or earlier).
Roll out at 10:00am exactly!
Travis

I am travelling out from Nakano and have the following train times.

Chuo-sen

Nagano 7:56, arrive Takao 8:35.
Takao 8:44, arrive Otsuki 9:26

Anyone travelling from Shinjuku should be able to pick this up too I guess.

Charles

In

Hi Travis,

I'd like to join this ride if it's still possible.

Charles,

I hope to join you at Nakano for the train if that would be alright.

Lee

Lee

Sure - see you on the platform at the front of the train as per last time !

Charles

Sorry, won't be able to make it after all. See you guys next week in Kusatsu! BTW, I received the Kusatsu registration card and other forms yesterday.

Togs

Sure - see you on the platform at the front of the train as per last time !

Charles

What`s the consensus on kit for tomorrow ? Longs or shorts ?

Charles

Safety in Numbers

With all these folks, there's more chance of punctures, which means more chance of some company at the rear... so count me in !

Charles, Lee - If I don't get the front mixed up with the back, I'll probably see you on the same train. I'll should be joining at Mitaka so see you there.

Cheers -
Steve

What`s the consensus on kit for tomorrow ? Longs or shorts ?

Charles

Wore half length last weekend for mikune and two tops - that is the winter underwear and then a cycle shirt, plus windbreaker. The underwear was too hot so I took it off for the climb. However, come sunset it was back on again as it was a bit cold.

Tomorrow, I'll just wear a shirt and take some arm warmers, along with the windbreaker. I hope it'll be enough.

Train times

Hello Charles, Lee -

Found that there's a Chuo-sen "Holiday Kaisoku":
leaves Mitaka Stn at 08:30,
arrives Otsuki at 09:34.

I'm probably going to take this instead, giving me a few extra minutes of badly needed beauty sleep ...... see you in Otsuki --

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom