What's new

KT4 - Okumusashi Madness

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to announce that on Saturday, March 15, I and a few others will be tackling this route: http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/to...kyo)/149475930

It is a roughly 132km loop starting at the 7-11 in Ome, and will head over a few passes of varying difficulty. The scenery should be awesome and the cycling challenging.

I'll leave it to Travis (YellowGiant), organizer extraordinaire, to provide further details about the ride should he feel so inclined, but I just wanted to get this up to give everyone a heads up.

Cheers,

Deej

Curses!

Sounds awesome, but again I will be out of the country. Look forward to the report and hope to join up on KT5. Ben

If its Saturday

then count me in ! This will be the last weekend for me until April 12th/13th as I will be in the UK.

Sounds good to me.

Charles

Madness they call it madness

And if this is madness, then I'm filled with gladness.

Ok that probaably dates me, but couldn't resist.

Okay, thanks guys. I just wasted half an hour watching old Madness videos on YouTube. "Absolutely" was my very first album, ever, bought when Baggy Trousers came out.

Anyway, looks like a great ride--please count me tentatively for this one Deej. Work might possibly get in the way, will have to see how it goes this week.

Musashi Movements...

A very special thanks to Deej & Philip for their input in putting this one together.

First we took Philip's original "Back in the saddle" ride that the three of us, along with Charles (Chazzer) did last January (17th). Read about it here:
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=605&page=4&highlight=chichibu

Then we added an extra loop that Deej found on a cycling blog that goes through the same pass, and heads further north to create a nice "up & down" loop.
Finally, we went to the "Shirokuma-pan" ride to find a different route up to Karibazaka-toge – The road on which Philip, Christoph and Aaron used to come down from the snowed-over roads that day.
With the three of us throwing ideas back & forth, what we came up with was the course that Deej posted earlier:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/tokyo-(tokyo)/149475930

Logistics:
In order to get back to the 7-11 in Higashi-Ome by 4pm, we will need to leave the same 7-11 by 9:30am – Taking into account, a few short breaks at the major "Toge", and a 30-minute lunch-break around the halfway mark.

It's 45km from Futako-Tamagawa to the 7-11, which is about a 2 hour ride.
My suggestion to those coming from there is that you leave no later than 7:00, so you can have a short break before rolling out of Ome.
We probably won't stop too many times before Karibazaka-toge, and it will be a much harder climb than last time:
Once we hit Rte.299, we'll roll down (very quickly) for 9-10km to Rte.61, where we'll turn left. Shortly after R61, there's another left onto the "Emergency-road" of the "Shirokuma" descent. This is the main climb of day! This is the one that will make everyone wish they were somewhere-else!
Here's that short 13km climb from the Rte.299/61 turn-off to Karibazaka-toge:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/tokyo-(tokyo)/210261534

After this major climb, the rest of the course is mainly a series of ups & downs along the ridge line until returning to the original 7-11 starting point.

*Note: The start time of 9:30 is variable.
An earlier start might be more conducive to getting back down the river in daylight, but it will disadvantage those coming by train - ie. Phil & myself.
Please post your preferences here.

Once again, Thanks Deej & Philip for the organization!

Travis

Looking forward to it!

Chazzer, you are a cycling machine, hitting all these big rides. Look forward to seeing you out there. (Also, glad to hear you escaped potential disaster last weekend!)

Pucci -- It will be good to ride with you again. As a wise man in baggy trousers once said, I think we're going to have a very good time, such a fine time, such a happy time.

Philip: Nice vid! It elicited a guffaw to be sure. Will you be trying your patented "tuck behind Travis on the climbs then pass him for the victory" manouver this time?

Phil: I hope you can make it. Chiba needs to represent!

I hope everyone knows what we're getting into!

I was going over the route map last night, and it struck me that this could be seriously hard. I'm coming from "nearby" Setagaya and will be doing over 200km when all is said and done. And, of course, there will be a few passes to contend with, as well as terra incognita, which can always make things "interesting."

I can't wait.

EDIT: I just saw your post, Travis. Thanks very much for the details!

Deej

Strategy . . .

Will you be trying your patented "tuck behind Travis on the climbs then pass him for the victory" manouver this time?Deej

I think the only practical strategy left open to me is retirement :(

Philip

*Note: The start time of 9:30 is variable.
An earlier start might be more conducive to getting back down the river in daylight, but it will disadvantage those coming by train - ie. Phil & myself.
Please post your preferences here.

Travis

Let's stick with 9:30. My train gets into Haijima at 8:56. Rather then change trains, I might as well assemble there and ride to Higashi Haijima. 9:30 should be perfect.

No problem . . .

Let's stick with 9:30. My train gets into Haijima at 8:56. Rather then change trains, I might as well assemble there and ride to Higashi Haijima. 9:30 should be perfect.

If we can be back at Higashi-Ome 7-11 at 16:00 - then DEPARTING Higashi-Ome 7-11 at 9:30 is fine.

I can meet those riding out from Tokyo at Tamasuido Bashi at 7:00.

Cheers,

Philip

If we can be back at Higashi-Ome 7-11 at 16:00 - then DEPARTING Higashi-Ome 7-11 at 9:30 is fine.

Cheers,

Philip

7:00 sounds good to me. I'll see you there. If I'm late, it's because I'm bagging my wheel. :)

Deej

Philip, Deej,

I'll definitely be at Tamasuido-bashi, but isn't 7:00AM a bit too early? :warau:

Last Saturday it took Philip and I less than 90mins to ride from Tamasuido-bashi to Musashi-Itsukaichi. With Higashi-Ome being closer I believe 7:30AM should be fine. Thirty minutes more of sleep mean a lot at these God-forsaken early hours... :D

Philip, Deej,

I'll definitely be at Tamasuido-bashi, but isn't 7:00AM a bit too early? :warau:

Last Saturday it took Philip and I less than 90mins to ride from Tamasuido-bashi to Musashi-Itsukaichi. With Higashi-Ome being closer I believe 7:30AM should be fine. Thirty minutes more of sleep mean a lot at these God-forsaken early hours... :D

I hear you, Thomas (glad to hear you're joining, BTW!). If you think 7:30 (even 7:45?) would work, then I'm fine with that. Philip, would do you think?

Deej

I hear a tongue, shriller than all the music

I'll saddle up for this one. Anyone riding out from central Tokyo?

David

I would think an additional 30 minutes beauty sleep will be of great benefit to you both. For me it is of no consequence. See you at 7:30.

Philip

Would you implying there's something awry with my phraseology?:)

See you at 7:30.

Deej

As feared, work is going to keep me out of this one... :(:(

Have a good ride guys.

Deej

So what time do I need to arrive at Ome Station please ?

Not being one of the hard men I will be gently toasting my posterior on the Chuo Line whilst you are flying along Tamagawa !

Thanks,

Charles

Back
Top Bottom