KT3 - Okutama Twist!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Saturday, March 8th.

Finally back to Okutama!!!
This time with a little twist…
Here's a great one!

In our original rides to "Tomin-no-mori" / "Kazahari-toge", that one climb itself was the focus – It was our reason for being out that way in the first place.
After a while though, someone-else added "Nokogiri-yama" to the equation (Not mentioning any names, eh! Pucci)

Personally, I HATE "Nokogiri-yama"!
As a "climb", it IS really, really nice… But as a "ride", it is absolutely terrible! The (downhill) ride back to Musashi-Itsukaichi-station from the top is teeth-chattering, bone-shattering, bumpier than Jabba-the-Hut's mother's wrinkled pimply arse detestable!
(Sorry, I couldn't think of any better analogies). But I refuse to ever ride on that road ever again!!!

Hence this time, I propose a new one; "Imagawa-toge – 今川峠 – 1,060m"! (Pucci knows this one too, but he's just never invited anyone, so…) It's a little bit west of Okutama-ko, and it isn't as high as "Tomin-no-mori", but it IS a lot steeper!

Anyway, here's the course: 112km – 3 climbs:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/musashi-itsukaichi/37373913

We start out from Musashi-Itsukaichi-station, the same as usual, and do the regular "Tomin-no-mori" climb. Down from there to the RAMEN-shop, but instead of turning right (towards Ome), we turn left – back into the hills.
After heading west for about 7km on Rte.139, we turn right onto Rte.18.
Then it's about 4km to the top of "Imagawa-toge".
After we roll down the other side, we'll hit Rte.411 (Ome-kaido), and turn right again back towards the lake… and the RAMEN-shop.
It's about a 25km loop; and I was thinking we could make a 1-hour "friendly" race out of it - just for fun:D - Some of the guys/gals will be waiting for us at RAMEN-shop to take our times when we get back.
From the lake, we just go back up and over to Tomin-no-mori, and then follow our original tracks back to Musashi-Itsukaichi-station – where we started from.

--------------

Unfortunately, I can't ride this weekend, so I was hoping we could do this one on Saturday, March 8th!
Any takers?
Travis

This sounds like a great ride and wish I could join. Have been thinking of hanging a left at Okutama-ko for a while but so far have lacked the courage - and energy after slogging up to toumin.

Anyway, that weekend I'll be doing Okiya (南谷) to Kanazawa which might be interesting. Have any of you ever done this? I have images of hell at the moment...

It sounds familier to me somehow. I am interested to join that if you can find me a space and pace: I haven't rode nor climbed for a whole season...Yoko

Hi Travis. Sounds like an excellent ride, but am unfortunately going to be out of the country that weekend. Will be sure to put in some rides in Sydney to try to get in better shape for the next TCC challenge!

In case anybody's in the Izu area this weekend, I'm going to be doing a loop of the southern part of the peninsula on Sunday morning.

Ben

Fyi

I have done a similar route last September. Please see the map and profile also. I actually climed from other end of Imagawa and then climbed Tsuru.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/ride/japan/tokyo/227644383

I am interested in joining your plan anyway. But I may have to find a short cut to keep up with you.:(:( If anyone with my speed joins, that would be great.

Minoru Arai

Sunday?

I may have to give priority to a school event. Is Sunday a possibility?

Aaron

I am interested in joining your plan anyway. But I may have to
find a short cut to keep up with you.:(:( If anyone with my speed joins,
that would be great.

Minoru Arai

Arai-san,

If my derailleur hanger arrives by post from the U.S. in time (and it probably will),
I'll be happy to keep you company.

David

Okutama ride

Hi

I am currently in California training with CTS and Chris Carmichael, but will be back in Tokyo on March 3rd, and would love to join your ride if that's ok? I climbed Okutama once, and liked it very much.

Kind regards
Val

Update!

Just to let everyone know, we are still on for this Saturday, March 8th.

The meeting place will be at "Musashi-Itsukaichi-station" the same as usual, at 9:30am! We will roll out by 10:00 at the latest.
For those who normally ride all the way out there, (Thomas, Deej, Christoph, Philip, Mike, etc ...): Please try to arrive early, so that you can all have something to eat.

So far, I think 3 of the Go-Go-Gals (Nobu, Shinobu, & SHIBAGON) have decided to come along too...as well as Yoko-Ibe.

The list so far:

Arai-san (Araim1): 場所が分かるよね!
Nobu,
Shinobu,
SHIBAGON: Go-Go-Gals の皆さんへ、一緒に行こうよ。
Taro-san: 輪行で来るでしょう?
David (TrufflesEater): If your bike is fixed, yoroshiku!
Aaron (Pucci): Can you switch those Sat/Sun plans over?
Val (sebici): Should be good!
Yoko-san (queen bee): 伊部さん、今回は救急車に乗らない様にね!

To the rest of the mountain-goats...
>Thomas: Are you going to come along on this one?
>Deej: Have you tried "Imagawa-toge" yet?
>Christoph (cinelli): Have you fixed your "chain"? Too much torque, eh!
>Philip: What's your "weekend" status?

>Val (sebici): Looking forward to riding with you, and hearing the stories about Chris Carmichael! See you at the station! T

9 definites, and four possibles - may five (depending on Mike's schedule).
It's a nice and easy course, and great training - I MAY ride home after we're done, depending on how I feel...
Hope to hear from everyone soon!
Travis

Sunday is

better for me but looks like that will be not be an option this time. I will try and follow in your tracks on Sunday and if anyone else is interested in that then please let me know directly or via PM and we can organise.

Travis - thanks again and sorry not to be able to tag along with the peleton this time. The lanterne rouge is up for grabs !!:p

Charles

Hi, my ride has been cancelled so I would really like to join you guys if it is still possible.

Wish I could

Hey Travis. This looks like great fun, and we're overdue for a ride together. Unfortunately, I have to work that evening, so I think I'll have to pass.

And no, I haven't been to Imagawa-toge yet! Soon, though...

Deej

:mad::mad::mad:
shut up about the chain - I really was angry about losing half day at trains getting back from fujino station homewards.....
but anyhow, the chain isn't fixed but I could switch over to my other bike if there would not be another problem, which is a flight which I have to get on saturday :)
so I will lose two cycling weekends in Japan - what a shame :eek:uch:

Cheers
Christoph

Just to let everyone know, we are still on for this Saturday, March 8th.

The meeting place will be at "Musashi-Itsukaichi-station" the same as usual, at 9:30am! We will roll out by 10:00 at the latest.
For those who normally ride all the way out there, (Thomas, Deej, Christoph, Philip, Mike, etc ...): Please try to arrive early, so that you can all have something to eat.

So far, I think all of the Go-Go-Gals (Nobu, Shinobu, Naomi & SHIBAGON) have decided to come along too...as well as Yoko-Ibe.

The list so far:

Arai-san (Araim1): 場所が分かるよね!
Nobu,
Shinobu,
Naomi,
SHIBAGON: Go-Go-Gals の皆さんへ、一緒に行こうよ。
David (TrufflesEater): If your bike is fixed, yoroshiku!
Aaron (Pucci): Can you switch those Sat/Sun plans over?
Val (sebici): Should be good!
Yoko-san (queen bee): 伊部さん、今回は救急車に乗らない様にね!

To the rest of the mountain-goats...
>Thomas: Are you going to come along on this one?
>Christoph (cinelli): Have you fixed your "chain"? Too much torque, eh!
>Philip: What's your "weekend" status?

>Val (sebici): Looking forward to riding with you, and hearing the stories about Chris Carmichael! See you at the station! T

9 definites, and four possibles - may five (depending on Mike's schedule).
It's a nice and easy course, and great training - I MAY ride home after we're done, depending on how I feel...
Hope to hear from everyone soon!
Travis

Lanterne Rouge

Sunday looks better for me but looks like that will be not be an option this time.

Charles

Fixed it ! Now I can join you all on Saturday after all. The lanterne rouge is mine for the taking again !!

See you there,

Charles

輪行しま~す

最近、堕落した生活(よーするに、「食い過ぎ」だ)を送ってしまったSHIBAGONです。
週末の奥多摩、2号機(OPERA CANOVA)と参加します。願わくば、乗り手のSHIBAGONの体重でCANOVAが潰れないことを祈るばかりです:warau:
←だったら1gでも体重減らせよ、オイ!:mad:

Sorry Travis . . .

I have other plans Saturday. Have a good ride with everyone :)

Cheers,

Philip

Back
Top Bottom