What's new

Kt3 2009

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
Travis has delegated the KT series of training rides to me in preparation for the Kusatsu Hillclimb coming up in April.

KT 3 will be on this Sunday due to rain forecast for Saturday. The route is from Musashi-Itsukaiichi station, going south then west over Wadatoge (up the steep side and down the gentle side); from there we will head north towards Tomi-no-mori, and down to Okutama-ko. We will follow the shore of the lake and the Tama river before one final hill climb which will lead us back to the starting point.

Here is the route map and elevation

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/tokyo/852133590444

This route is designed to be a bit tougher than last week's KT2, and includes a long climbing section up to Tomi-no-mori to emulate the race.

Start time will be 9:15am from Musashi-Itsukaiichi.

I will post my plan for the rest of the KT rides in a couple of days time.
AW.

Sounds pretty challenging, Alan. I would love to join, but unfortunately I have work on Sunday. :(

I do hope the weather clears up until Saturday.

King of the hill...

Travis has delegated the KT series of training rides to me in preparation for the Kusatsu Hillclimb coming up in April.
KT 3 will be on this Sunday due to rain forecast for Saturday. The route is from Musashi-Itsukaiichi station, going south then west over Wadatoge (up the steep side and down the gentle side); from there we will head north towards Tomi-no-mori, and down to Okutama-ko. We will follow the shore of the lake and the Tama river before one final hill climb which will lead us back to the starting point.
This route is designed to be a bit tougher than last week's KT2, and includes a long climbing section up to Tomi-no-mori to emulate the race.
AW.

As AlanW has said, I've asked him to "take care of" the KT rides for the next few weeks.
As our (TCC's) fastest rider, Alan will be more than able to put the rides together, and make sure that everyone is looked after.

If anyone wants to participate in any of the "KT" rides, or if you're still thinking about joining the "Kusatsu" race, itself, please reply here!

Alan has my (and Thomas') full approval for the training rides and the race! I can't think of anyone better to lead the way!

>Alan: We'll be looking at a "minus 40-min." time for you!
No pressure, eh!:cool:

Travis

Thanks Alan!

Would love to do this, if you don't mind waiting for me at the top of the hills. :(

I'd probably drive out and park somewhere in the Hachioji area. I'm guessing there'll be a group riding out on the Tamagawa (Deej? Philip? Travis?) Perhaps we can hook up at, say, the Rt 16 bridge?

Looking forward to finally seeing and riding the famed Wada-toge and Tomin-no-mori routes...

I'd love to join this one, but as of yesterday, I am officially sans bike. I sold Black Thunder last night and am now awaiting the arrival of my new frame. I may be off the bike for three weeks, perhaps longer. :(

Deej

Nice twist there...

Very nice of you Alan to do the "batontacchi" with Travis like this. Wise of you to go for Sunday weatherwise. The course you've drawn looks very attractive so I put this KT3 on my weekend calendar. I'm not sure I'm familiar with that twisty "one final climb" although I may have ridden there in the past. I recently got myself a Garmin Edge but have not figured out all of its functions yet...is it possible to upload that route you provided?

Thomas, Deej...what a pity !

Deej....glad to hear you could sell the black one - the timing of the sale was a bit unfortunate but that's how these things go. I took a look at the mighty new frame...very aggressive those looks! And if in the hands of Nagai-san with all those campy parts...you'll have one helluva bike!

AW.

Parking

....looking forward to finally meeting you Phil. The best place for you to park the car is right at the Musashi Itsukaichi station. Plenty of parking - always half empty!

Would love to do this, if you don't mind waiting for me at the top of the hills. :(

I'd probably drive out and park somewhere in the Hachioji area. I'm guessing there'll be a group riding out on the Tamagawa (Deej? Philip? Travis?) Perhaps we can hook up at, say, the Rt 16 bridge?

Looking forward to finally seeing and riding the famed Wada-toge and Tomin-no-mori routes...

Deej....glad to hear you could sell the black one - the timing of the sale was a bit unfortunate but that's how these things go. I took a look at the mighty new frame...very aggressive those looks! And if in the hands of Nagai-san with all those campy parts...you'll have one helluva bike!

Thanks Tom. Yeah, I really want to do this ride. As for the bike, it's taking forever to get here. Maybe some time off will be good for my family life, though!

Here's a photoshopped (not by me) version of what it will generally look like.
3309999361_28356318a8.jpg

How much longer will you guys be doing these rides?
I would love to join but have to work the next few Sundays.....totally zannen!

I rode up near the TsuruTsuru Onsen area on Tuesday and it was a mix of rain and snow at the top! Made for a good descent.....

About 6 weeks...

How much longer will you guys be doing these rides?
I would love to join but have to work the next few Sundays.....totally zannen!
I rode up near the TsuruTsuru Onsen area on Tuesday and it was a mix of rain and snow at the top! Made for a good descent.....

The race is in the middle of April, and the training will usually be once every weekend, Saturday or Sunday (weather permitting) each week until the race.
Hope you can join us!
T

Alan, Phil, the dedicated & hardcore . . .

My sincere apologies. I have made a personal commitment to performing well in the upcoming Tokyo Marathon. To achieve this I am currently running over 160km per week and have no energy or time left for much cycling :eek: Therefore I will not be joining the majority of the KT rides.

I will get back in the saddle for the last weekend of March which is the anniversary of my crash on the KT Tanzawa ride last year - so will be looking forward to that :D And I will be riding my bike every subsequent weekend come rain or shine in preparation for Ironman Japan (June 21st) where I also intend to perform well.

Deej - that bike sure looks pretty - although the chainrings are back-to-front :p:p:p

Tom - I did not realize you can park a car outside the station at Musashi Itsukaichi. Whereabouts is the parking located?

Have a great time on the ride and I look forward to the days write-up. Phil - you are soooo going to enjoy the climbs ;)

Cheers,

Philip

Parking

Hi Philip...running is bad for the knees. Oh the parking (pay parking lot)....it is huge and about 200m on the left when you walk out of the station.

Cheers,

Tom

Alan, Phil, the dedicated & hardcore . . .

My sincere apologies. I have made a personal commitment to performing well in the upcoming Tokyo Marathon. To achieve this I am currently running over 160km per week and have no energy or time left for much cycling :eek: Therefore I will not be joining the majority of the KT rides.

I will get back in the saddle for the last weekend of March which is the anniversary of my crash on the KT Tanzawa ride last year - so will be looking forward to that :D And I will be riding my bike every subsequent weekend come rain or shine in preparation for Ironman Japan (June 21st) where I also intend to perform well.

Deej - that bike sure looks pretty - although the chainrings are back-to-front :p:p:p

Tom - I did not realize you can park a car outside the station at Musashi Itsukaichi. Whereabouts is the parking located?

Have a great time on the ride and I look forward to the days write-up. Phil - you are soooo going to enjoy the climbs ;)

Cheers,

Philip

....looking forward to finally meeting you Phil. The best place for you to park the car is right at the Musashi Itsukaichi station. Plenty of parking - always half empty!

Likewise, Tom! Thanks for the parking tip...I'll do exactly as you suggest.

So Alan, I won't be riding in from the Tamagawa, but instead be at the station, 9:15AM. Thanks again.

Hello, Id like to join you guys for my first TCC ride, if its on Sunday.

Just be very careful on the descents - I did the Tomin no mori climb last weekend, and the small piles of snow by the side of the road were melting then refreezing into large sheets of ice on the way down to okutamako.

Its snowing now in yokohama, so what its like over 1000m in the mountains....

dangerous Kazahari descent...

Hi Andy...thanks for the feedback on your ride there last week. I was just going to post the same about the very treacherous downhill conditions to Okutamako. With all the wetness and cold of this week the ice sheets will still be there. Also, today's snow is likely to pile up pretty deep in that area :(.

I really would like to do this very nice loop of Alan but at the same time I don't want to take unnecessary risks. Perhaps we should postpone until next weekend...

Will make a final decision on Saturday evening.

Tom

Hello, Id like to join you guys for my first TCC ride, if its on Sunday.

Just be very careful on the descents - I did the Tomin no mori climb last weekend, and the small piles of snow by the side of the road were melting then refreezing into large sheets of ice on the way down to okutamako.

Its snowing now in yokohama, so what its like over 1000m in the mountains....

KT3 - Ride on Hold

Due to the heavy snowfall today and the subsequent closure of Kazahari (thanks, Tom, for the update), it's looking very unlikely that the KT3 route will be passable on Sunday.

I'll post an update on Saturday, depending on how the weather develops. If we can't do the ride this weekend, I'll postpone it till next weekend, and may do a fast run round Miura Peninsula or something similar instead.

AW.

Today's conditions...

o94fuc.jpg

Kazahari route has been re-opened to traffic, snow on the road is gone but roadside snow has not completely melted away yet. Shadowy places are wet and could become icy depending on the temperature tomorrow. I passed this spot (near the entrance of the Kobu tunnels) around 14:00 and there were no slippery conditions. The only thing is that Kazahari's elevation is about twice that of Kobu and the descent down to Lake Okutama is almost entirely in the shadow of the mountain...likely to be slippery and dangerous. I'd say better not take any risk and save Alan's nice loop for a little warmer weekend...:)

Due to the heavy snowfall today and the subsequent closure of Kazahari (thanks, Tom, for the update), it's looking very unlikely that the KT3 route will be passable on Sunday.

I'll post an update on Saturday, depending on how the weather develops. If we can't do the ride this weekend, I'll postpone it till next weekend, and may do a fast run round Miura Peninsula or something similar instead.

AW.

KT3a - Revised plan

I think it's best to stay out of the mountains this weekend.
As an alternative, I'll do a Miura Peninsula loop. To follow the training plan, this will be a fast, high intensity ride. Start from 9am Yokohama Station East Exit.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1638.html

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/japan/tokyo/386348323736

The forecast for tomorrow is deteriorating. If it's raining, I probably will not ride, so fingers crossed!

Next weekend, weather permitting, we can go and play in the hills.

AW.

planning on joining. hopefully ride is still on. see you at Yokohama at 9am. Alan, will PM keitai.

Back
Top Bottom