What's new

Koyo Boso - Saturday Dec 1st

Phil

Maximum Pace
Sep 1, 2007
Slightly late notice, but was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining me for a Boso run this weekend? It's actually well past the autumn colors peak out here, but hey, it's an excuse to hit the Boso rollers again.

Route is exactly the same as the Backroads Boso V, as I enjoyed it so much. Might be a good opportunity if you had to bail out of the last one.

Start: Honda (誉田) Station (JR Sotobo Line)
Day: Saturday Dec 1st
Time: Rollout around 9:15 AM, back 4 pm latest
Finish: Honda Station
Pace: Moderate to quick road bike pace; lots of ups and downs and many turns, so not recommended for absolute beginners.
Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1837290
About 120 kms

Let me know if interested!

I'm keen to do this ride, but unfortunately have other commitments for this Saturday. I hope that I can catch the next one.

Tom, sorry you can't make it; Olav, hopefully see you there.

Train info (Routes and times are from Tokyo station):

07:50~08:33
JR京葉線快速
08:40~08:49
JR外房線・茂原行
(JR Keiyo Line to Soga, change there to the Sotobo bound for Mobara)

OR

07:41~08:24
JR横須賀・総武線快速
08:33~08:49
JR外房線・茂原行
(JR Yokosuka/Sobu Kaisoku to Chiba, change there to the Sotobo bound for Mobara)

Gathering spot will be south exit, around the combini.

Hi Phil,

How difficult is this ride. I am just getting back into climbing but need the training for a few big tours in March.

Keen to join though.

Thanks!

Noud

Noud > Total climbing is 2000 meters or so, but the longest single climb is only 2-3 kms at the most. It's just up and down, up and down small-ish rollers. Bit draining, but if you have fitness on the flats you'll be fine.

Aiming to get back to the station at 4 pm at the very latest, though last time we did it we got back about 3:15 or so; either way, not a super fast pace (we'll make 3 convenience store stops).

Weather is looking good...

Sunny skies and warmer than last weekend--which makes us officially a go!

Just Olva and myself, with Noud as a possible so far. Let us know if you'd like to join in, it's going to be a great day for it... Or, alternatively, just show at the station at 9 AM tomorrow. :bike:

Noud, great you can join - the more the merrier.

Phil, I sent you PM with phone number - please reply with yours so I can notify in case I screw up the train change again

Hi! I'm not sure if I can yet, but I'd like to join this ride.
If you see a red beard on a blue bike in front of the station that's probably me. If I'm not there well before roll out time that means I couldn't go.
Hope that's alright?

hat and beard > Sounds like a plan--hope to see you there!

In case I haven't mentioned it, we meet at the south exit.

Fantastic ride. Thanks a lot, Phil.
Hope to do another one again soon... with a new derailleur. :bike:

Well, the weatherman got that one wrong! After an hour soak in the bath and much food, my fingers have thawed out enough to type. Still, if you HAVE to ride into the teeth of a hailstorm and finish the last 50kms of a ride soaking wet and freezing cold, you could do a lot worse than have Olav, Noud, and Josh for company. Many thanks guys for the continued cheerfulness and enthusiasm despite wipeouts, punctures, torrents of freezing rain etc. etc. Special props to Josh for hanging on and finishing strong, despite bruises, malfunctioning derailleur, and missing gears.

(Wasn't all hardship though, we had great weather the first 2/3 of the route and the autumn colors were impressive, especially down Kameyama way.)

Anyway, already looking forward to the next one!

Heir Heir! Great ride despite the bad weather conditions, frostbite in my fingers and a huge dip between 50km and 70km... Kudos to Josh for making it all the way with only low gear and bruises. Definitely the hero of the day!

Look forward riding again soon guys!

Take care!!
Noud

I thought the weather was OK on Saturday! I was thinking how I would love to be out riding and not at work. Sounds like you guys were in the wars lol

Sounds like an epic struggle. Does anyone ride through that country during the winter? Does is get even worse then?

In Boso (and most of the Kanto lowlands), the riding season is year-round; just have to deal with shorter days and some chilly mornings. On Saturday, we simply got the forecast wrong and were caught by a front moving in from the north.

Winter usually has the lowest precipitation of any season, mostly clear blue skies. This year's been an exception so far, I think, cloudier and wetter than in previous years (my impression, anyway.) About one or two snowfalls a year will leave a bit of ice on the roads for a day or two, but that's about it.

Think we just had a bit of bad luck really, hitting the hail storm head on. Rest of day was great, and I was really impressed with Phil's backroad/rindo route - fun and challenging! Also beautiful landscape and autumn colours along the way, highly recommended.

I've downloaded the course and look forward to trying it when I get over in Jan/Feb. When I was in the middle of a 1000km, 13 day mountain bike ride we hit a whole day of serious winds, low temperatures, rain and hail storms. It was one of the best and worst experiences of my life. The worst because, at the time, it nearly broke me physically and mentally. The best because it's prepared me for any conditions on any ride. If you see me riding in the rain now you'd most likely see me smiling as I think of that particular day and knowing that what I'm experiencing at the time is nothing compared to then. Character building!

Back
Top Bottom