What's new

Knights In White Lycra 2019 4-day, 500-km Charity Ride

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
I've just signed-up for the 2019 KIWL event in June. It's my first time, but the Knights' seventh. Is anyone else from TCC going this year? Anyone else interested?

Information here: https://www.kiwl.net/2019-500km-cycle.html

"The annual 500km 4-day cycle ride is KIWL's flagship event. In 2019, over 40 cyclists will train for a grueling 500km ride to raise funds for KIWL's chosen charity, YouMeWe NPO. It's not for the faint-hearted, riders need a good reason to ask their friends, colleagues and family to sponsor them!​
"Amateur men and women of all ages, from novices to elite cyclists have participated in previous years, and one common thing binds them; the will to train adequately to raise at least Y100,000 for KIWL's chosen charity. By dividing riders into groups of varying abilities with an experienced group leader, very few fail. And if they do, our sponsored support vehicles from Jaguar Land Rover are on hand to help. What's more, riders will experience breathtaking mountain and coastal scenery, and enjoy wonderful Onsen spa's.​
"Our 2019 cycle ride, June 13th-16th 2019 starts in Takasaki and weaves through mountain passes to Echigo Yuzawa, about 108 kms. On day 2, we eat up 150kms making our way to Niigata city on the Sea of Japan. The coastline is some of the most spectacular in Japan. Day 3 takes us another 150kms inland to Aizu Wakamatsu where an Onsen hotel soothes aching limbs. The final day of 100kms heads to Fukushima City where we will be met by children from a local care home who will benefit from the funds we raise. Every rider feels the elation of completing the ride and the emotion of meeting fragile kids who don't deserve their outcomes but who will have a brighter future thanks to our efforts. Those KIWL moments are truly magical, lifelong memories.​
"Are you ready for the challenge? Whoever you are, however good you are, and with a will to 'get fit and give back', you are a valid candidate."​
kiwl-2018-day-1-1-of-139_orig.jpg

N.B. Participants are actively discouraged from actually wearing white lycra; especially for men, it's not conducive to flattering photos.

Apologies, I couldn't resist. Surprised to see no-one has picked up on this before then. Maybe it is a reference to the fact that you can never do them all, as the charity initiative will continue beyond one's lifetime!

PS: Out of the two classic tunes of that ilk, I prefer Procul Harum...must be the Bach connection.

I desperately want to do this, but won't be able to (unless I get fired). Perhaps I can help participants in seeking out sponsors or contribute in some other way? Please let me know if there is any way I can help.

Been eyeing this but, like @Kangaeroo , timing of the event rules it out for me. Should they have an event in August, I'd have a better chance at participating. Also wondering about lining up sponsors. Do those of you who do this ride find that to be difficult?

I desperately want to do this, but won't be able to (unless I get fired). Perhaps I can help participants in seeking out sponsors or contribute in some other way? Please let me know if there is any way I can help.

Maybe you can help lead some training rides? That would be a good non-monetary way to help. A lot of the riders are new to the sport and are taking up the challenge as a way to raise money.

Some people have office swear jars, there are other events all around the year like quiz nights, soccer day, etc. That all aim to raise money for the chosen charities.

Yes - there are many ways to help. We were talking last night about more ways to raise more money for the YouMeWe NPO, especially as this year's 4-day ride is now oversubscribed.

A few thoughts:

If you work for or are close with an organization that has a formal or informal corporate social responsibility program, and might be interested in providing corporate sponsorship, please let me know. The more the merrier.

KIWL organise several other events throughout the year, but no other bike rides. It would be great to have, say, a TCC Special to support KIWL/YouMeWe, with either an entry fee (donation) or whip-round (donation) or both. We'll probably do something like that with Half-Fast as well.

One think KIWL admits to lacking is experience in PR. They do OK, but could do better. So if you or someone you know might like to help spread the word through any communications medium, it would be very much appreciated.

And another fundraising thing:

KIWL has twice run bring-and-buy sales, to which folks can donate their surplus bike parts, clothing, accessories etc., and also pick up some bargains from among the items others have brought along. All proceeds to the charity.

The first one raised around ¥70,000, making it well worth the time and effort. The second one attracted only ¥12,000. And poor Rob still has bags of donated knick-knacks that no-one wanted to buy. I don't know if there's a workable solution to that...

One think KIWL admits to lacking is experience in PR. They do OK, but could do better. So if you or someone you know might like to help spread the word through any communications medium, it would be very much appreciated.

I am more than a decade too late in being able to help in this field, but I have put some feelers out. @Half-Fast Mike I have made you a contact point only because I have met you in person and I think you can direct people in the right direction.
Having said that, I'm not expecting people to come pounding down on my door to cover the story.
But I will keep working on what I can.

Back
Top Bottom