What's new

Kinky wheels for a mental.

onm

Sep 2, 2009
Right.

Need (want) some mega expensive full carbon wheels. Tubular and all that bollocks.

What is the current darkness?

My personal shopper has recommended the following;

-Dura Ace 35

-HED something

-Zipp

Any ideas?

I have got my weight down to 78kg, but still built like a brick house. Want something I can leather people on the flats with, whilst still climb OK.

Current best wheels are Mavic Cosmic Carbone SR clincher with the best Vittorias. They really are wicked, but I am a ponce and want the latest brainwashing.

Any ideas?

Mate, the wheels won't make you any faster then the ones you have now. You should work more on the engine if you want to be faster! Though I wouldn't mind selling you a set of zipps if you came to Y's tomorrow or Sunday ;)

If you're chasing 50mm tubs, then Boyd cycles are hard to beat for value/money. Another great source is Adrien at RAR bike wheels, but you'll be paying more then Boyd.

If you want to spend more money then I would echo GS's comments, and buy ENVE rims with some soul kozak hubs, which should be a nice balance between weight/cost and longevity.

Good luck, Pete

???

Mate, the wheels won't make you any faster then the ones you have now. You should work more on the engine if you want to be faster! Though I wouldn't mind selling you a set of zipps if you came to Y's tomorrow or Sunday ;)

Of course a good set of wheels will make you faster! They may not make you the fastest, but they WILL make you faster. Mark Cavendish could ride a tandem and still out-sprint most cyclists around the world, but, he still rides the very best wheels available for his riding style.
Even if you remove the 'engine' factor and just consider the concept of the wheels feeling stiff, light and responsive, added to the feel good factor, you'll ride faster, no doubt!!!
P.

Of course a good set of wheels will make you faster! They may not make you the fastest, but they WILL make you faster. Mark Cavendish could ride a tandem and still out-sprint most cyclists around the world, but, he still rides the very best wheels available for his riding style.
Even if you remove the 'engine' factor and just consider the concept of the wheels feeling stiff, light and responsive, added to the feel good factor, you'll ride faster, no doubt!!!
P.

But he has already a set of Cosmic Carbon's which will make him fast by default ...

Yes, but two sets will make you faster, no?

But he has already a set of Cosmic Carbon's which will make him fast by default ...

I would buy those in an instant...

But there is a spelling mistake on them!

well regardless of spelling mistake those are the be all and end all in wheel bling.

Or a standard Dura Ace hub build onto a kinky rim with dark spokes?

Read thee innitial post - said nothing about ride quality just mega expensive darkness of wheels - thus mad fiber.

If I was going to recommned any wheels then it would be any dura ace tubular but thats not what he was asking for.

Read thee innitial post - said nothing about ride quality just mega expensive darkness of wheels - thus mad fiber.

If I was going to recommned any wheels then it would be any dura ace tubular but thats not what he was asking for.

Indeed. Best wheels I ever had were Mavic Roubaix SSC 28's on Dura Ace. Not aero but dear god could I corner on them. But for this thread Lightweight all the way. For the added bling factor try the special edition with white carbon spokes & hubs. Only adds 32,000 yen to the price of the Obermayer giving a total of about 520,000 yen for the set.

I agree with FE - and why I also suggested the MF. Besides any other conventional wheel, which I can build at fraction of the cost of ANY brand, and perform as good or better, the ONLY wheel I would personally get juiced about is Mad Fiber. I've known these guys (ex Wheelsmith) for years - they do cool stuff. In fact, we're also a MF dealer, so my money is where my mouth is.

Back
Top Bottom