What's new

Kids visibility aids

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
Off topic, but, my daughter is spending a lot of time playing later and later. Now her neighborhood 'gang' is running a marathon every night. I'm worried they aren't seen as good as they could be. Same goes for bikes. What's a good visibility aid for kids that they can wear quickly and easily?

Active or passive? I have a few of those snap-on reflective arm/ankle bands that I make the kids use at night. Active would be better, though.

Anything is better than what they use now. (Nothing). I'm surprised cause the school is completely safety freak outs, but the kids once they are home are targets!

Danger is getting hit by cars so anything reflective is good. I got an old workers vest and cut off the reflective tape and sewed velcro to it. Ankles which move the most and the movement is a signal to drivers, when I am running myself at night I go with the workmans reflective vests. Looks like a cops so slows down drivers but I run on unlit country roads, city might be different.

Wouldn't separate anklets and bracelets and so on get lost, be forgotten, be turned inside out, etc?

I got an old workers vest and cut off the reflective tape and sewed velcro to it.

That sounds a much better idea. Of course these workers' vests are cheap enough even new, at the kind of stores that also sell jikatabi and steel-capped boots.

All good ideas . The hard thing is getting something a 6yo will wear and use without continuous reminding. So they have to be not only functional, but also enticing .

...or feel peer pressurized into not wearing...though at 6, hopefully that won`t rear it`s head for a while yet.

Hence, I would go similar to Kiwisimon`s suggestion and something that takes away the choice from the child concerned as to wearing/forgetting. I.e. trainers/shoes with reflective decals, school bags with in-buit reflective decals, coats etc. Getting your kid into the old fluorescent socks is a win-win ;)

A while ago I bought sticky reflective tape at my local hardware store (Beaver Tozan). They sell it by the meter. I think it is made by 3M.

You can be creative with it. I cut strips of various lengths from the supply I bought and stuck them on my backpack, my helmet, etc. Easy to add to a bicycle, helmet, etc.

Twenty-six or -seven years ago I bought a roll of sticky reflective tape from some bike shop. I'm pretty sure it was made by 3M. If it was, it would have been called "Scotchlite". (Not to be confused with "Scotch-Brite", which is used to increase the reflectivity of frying pans.) I stuck a long strip of it along each of two rear mudguards. Decades later, the strips of tape are still firmly attached: no fraying, no bubbling, not even oozing of glue around the edges.

(OTOH a six-year-old's clothing is not -- I hope! -- made of trivially-flexing aluminium.)

Tim just do a google search for "Kids Iron on patches" lots of really cool stuff.

But if anyone absolutely has to spend a wodge of money on remaining chic while they shine: "Vespertine".

It has a certain comic appeal (I suppose unintended).

But if anyone absolutely has to spend a wodge of money on remaining chic while they shine: "Vespertine".

It has a certain comic appeal (I suppose unintended).

Not a bad idea to put something reflective on normal clothes.

Did you look further down the page to their "Bike of the Week"....

bike_crime.jpg
Wow, $649..... really, wow!

Back
Top Bottom