What's new

Tech Kickr Maintenance

SWA

Cruising
Sep 1, 2021
Hi there. Wondering if anyone out there is a bit of a mechanical whiz and knows how to take apart and maintain a kickr.

I have a kickr core and it's just over a year old but - because it was a warranty replacement for a previous kickr (!!) - it's not covered by warranty.

It still works fine but has started to make this horrible squeak - a bit like an unoiled chain, and we all know what torture that sound is!! Drivetrain and cassette isn't the issue, it's internal to the kickr.

If any of you have experience of working on these or know someone who does, can you let me know?

Going back there wasn't an obvious link on wahoo either. Found in comments section.

Thanks yes I actually read this post waaaaay back when, but my current kickr is much later than this problem - it's a 2021 model - and the sound isn't the same…so sadly not quite as simple as this. Wahoo were actually quite ready to take it back until they realised that this one was a replacement for another one that died too (and I'm WELL within the use-case of the Core)

Moral of the story is: hmmmmm kickr core build has issues.

Well good news is it seems to come apart easily and they have that manual if you want to tinker since there's no warranty.

I haven't had to do too many warranty returns in my life, but not warrantying a replacement unit seems kind of crappy to me. Is this standard practice? Sorry, I don't mean to derail your thread, but that policy just seems wild to me.

Last edited:
It the sound goes away when the unit is warm, it's probably the belt.

If it's the bearings or the key, there's a site out there that shows how to replace them and the key.

I haven't had to do too many warranty returns in my life, but not warrantying a replacement unit seems kind of crappy to me. Is this standard practice? Sorry, I don't mean to derail your thread, but that policy just seems wild to me.

Years ago I cracked a carbon frame within a year and got it replaced under warranty. The replacement frame also cracked within a year. However is was just over a year since the original purchase so the warranty was deemed no good. Don't know if this is common practice but I guess it is legally okay.

Twice bitten it was one of the reasons I bought a titanium Lynskey frame with a lifetime warranty which they have already honored once.

Andy

That sucks, and I am glad Lynskey honored their warranty. Did you get a custom frame or off-the-shelf?

Last edited:
That sucks, and I am glad Lynskey honored their warranty. Did you get a custom frame or off-the-shelf?
It was off the shelf with some other items from CRC taking advantage of a big discount under the UK's "cycle to work scheme". I brought the frame to Japan in a suitcase. I remember the x-ray guy at the airport saying "Where are the wheels!?"...

Andy

Back
Top Bottom