What's new

Kichijoji, skipping chain

koribeyer

Speeding Up
May 29, 2008
So, as of next week or so, I'll be living in Kichijoji (yea!) and looking for a new, fantastic LBS. My Japanese is good enough that I don't care so much if they speak English, but knowledgeable, friendly, and all that good stuff. Certified for Cannondales, maybe?

So, though I would prefer to fix it myself, my chain is skipping when I'm in low gears and I don't know where to start. The bike still has less than 1000 miles on it, so there should be no problems of chain stretching or wear (yet!). When I spent some time cleaning and re-lubing the chain I found that some of the heavy grease from the bottom bracket had slipped down on the smaller of the double up front and though cleaning it all of helped a little... the problem remains.

When I'm in my high gear, there's no problem, but when I down shift for a few hills on my commute the chain starts skipping all over the back gears.

Naturally, I want to sort this out before getting back to the mountains.

Ideas? Advice? Kichijoji bike shops?

CWS seem friendly in Kichijoji. Go to the end of "Sun road" and turn left.
They stock Cannondales too.

maybe one of several issues including:

• Cable needs fine tuning for rear mech
  • Slightly bent rear derailleur or hanger
  • Locking nut on rear cassette has come loose
  • Teeth on rear cassete bent inwards preventing chain to catch
  • stretched chain

probably cable needing a little fine-tuning...

CWS in Kichijoji is OK; I have heard some guy (the tencho?) in there talk in fluent English.

If - and I'm sure you eventually will - you want a real pro to take care of your bike, give Nishitani-san a visit at his Cycle Point O-Vest shop near Kichijoji. He's a top mechanic and "pro" racer at the same time! Not so sure about his English but he rides a Cannondale too :).

Kori, it's almost definitely cable stretch, common in new bikes as the cable stretches out with initial use.

Tension can be adjusted with the knob at the back of the rear derailleur. First check that you can shift into all the cogs, smallest to largest. You'll probably find that the chain won't want to move up or down a cog, that the movement is delayed or it takes two clicks of the shifter. The general rule is to turn the tension adjuster in the direction that the chain is having trouble moving. So, if it won't move up to the larger cogs, turn the adjuster left, or toward the wheel. 1/4 turn at a time is probably a good place to start. This is a lot easier to do if you have some kind of work stand to keep the rear wheel lifted...

Kori,

Considering your bike is almost new, problem may be comes from short of chain oil.

If - and I'm sure you eventually will - you want a real pro to take care of your bike, give Nishitani-san a visit at his Cycle Point O-Vest shop near Kichijoji. He's a top mechanic and "pro" racer at the same time! Not so sure about his English but he rides a Cannondale too :).
O-Vest is 2 minutes from my house! Well stocked little shop and very helpful too.
But I think he dumped the Cannondale for a Cervelo a while back.
If you are coming this far from Kichijoji, my garage is full of tools and I`ve got a refrigerator full of beer!

neighbors

O-Vest is 2 minutes from my house! Well stocked little shop and very helpful too.
But I think he dumped the Cannondale for a Cervelo a while back.
If you are coming this far from Kichijoji, my garage is full of tools and I`ve got a refrigerator full of beer!

Chofu - Fuchu - Kichijoji....I guess we're all neighbors! Will stop by for a beer one of these days while having Nishitani-san tune up my bike! Saw him last WE, he's still having an over-head-and-ears love affair with his Cannondale...

"my garage is full of tools and I`ve got a refrigerator full of beer!"

Damn! I wish you lived on the East side.....

Back
Top Bottom