What's new

Keeping a bike outside

PickledNoob

Warming-Up
Nov 2, 2012
This is where I reveal I know nothing about bikes...

I live in a guest house and so my bike is left outside locked up. It's under shelter but it still gets wet in heavy rain. How bad is this? Is it 100% necessary that I buy a cover for it?

I have already spotted some rust on the cassette, how do I get rid of it?

Cheers xx

My bike is always kept outside.
I bought one of those grey, plastic, fugly bicycle covers from a 100yen shop; protects well from the rain, and also prevents people from seeing what a nice bike I have.

But, I commute even when its raining so my bike gets wet once or twice a month anyway. I find that finish line wet lubricant (the green one) keeps my drivetrain rust free even in heavy rain. I only apply it directly to my chain (two or three times a month), but it rubs off naturally from the chain to the chain rings/cassette and keeps everything rust free.

I used to have a motorbike parked outside, and I'd try to keep it covered, and also try to remember to take the cover off after rain had stopped and when rain wasn't likely to restart soon.

It didn't stop the rusting. So I stopped using the cover, other than for typhoons and very heavy rain -- and removed the cover as quickly as possible. That didn't stop the rusting either, but the rust didn't seem to advance as quickly as it had advanced before.

We used to have three bikes outside, now down to two.

Until two years ago we lived in a house with a garage, so the bikes were never left in the rain. The difference in rust progression is quite pronounced. A few months ago we finally built a small roof over them from DIY shop parts (lumber, corrugated pastic sheets). It's better than nothing, but I still wouldn't want to keep my road bike under it.

Also, it's not just about rust. The constant UV exposure also does damage to all plastic and rubber parts. Rubber oxidises more quickly when exposed to light. Expect your tyres to age more quickly, saddles to age and shifter and brake cable casings to become brittle. If you you ride the bike enough that you replace tyres and cables regularly it may not be a problem, but our mamachari are not in good shape.

Using a bike cover properly requires a lot of self-discipline. Probably doesn't work for most people.

My bike is always kept outside.
I bought one of those grey, plastic, fugly bicycle covers from a 100yen shop; protects well from the rain, and also prevents people from seeing what a nice bike I have.

But, I commute even when its raining so my bike gets wet once or twice a month anyway. I find that finish line wet lubricant (the green one) keeps my drivetrain rust free even in heavy rain. I only apply it directly to my chain (two or three times a month), but it rubs off naturally from the chain to the chain rings/cassette and keeps everything rust free.

I agree Finish Line is great for Tokyo. I relube once every month or so(about 1400 KMs).

Like Joe said if you are riding enough you'll be changing out
parts before rusting becomes an issue.

I keep mine outside under a shelter and 100 yen cover.
No rust after 3 years.

why is it important to remove the cover? Does it get damp underneath?

Sure, even if the rain does not hit the bike directly because of the cover the air itself will be humid.

For keeping rust at bay nothing beats this stuff.......

mono05758541-1.jpg

Kure CRC 3-36 rust inhibitor, works well, I use it on my woodworking tools too, keeps the rust at bay, has little odor, and does not leave a greasy film on everything.

Monotaro sells it, but you can find it lots of places.
https://www.monotaro.com/g/00009434

Forget rust and humidity, the biggest problem with keeping a bike outside is that you will soon be starting another BIKE GONE MISSING thread!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom