What's new

Race Kawasaki Marine Enduro - 25th October 2015

There's some videos on YouTube of the event (28 June 2015) of people with GoPro etc where you can really get a sense of the course, the participants and how shitty the road surface is in parts (given that it's a shipping area, perhaps not surprising). There were quite a few punctures last time (not for me or my team or @GrantT ) and I have seen a photo of someone with a screw fully through their tyre (to the rim).

Searching '川崎マリンエンデューロ' will do it (Google and YouTube).

Last edited:
you can keep it here so us poor sods who can't join you can cheer your plan on!

I know you're a secret agent @theBlob working for KAOS.
We must conduct all affairs within, 'the cone of silence' to eliminate potential KAOS infiltration.

You can see from any TTT that the ones who do best are the ones who know eachother and have experience riding together. Those that don't generally don't feature on the podium.
They all say, when talking about tactics and what makes the best teams, that knowing how hard the weakest member can go is key, that's your level. It isn't what you can sustain on the limit for as long as possible it is what you can maintain as a team with as many members as possible helping as much as they can. Then blaze the end. This is an individual event so you only really need three men to survive and crush the rankings with TCC might. 3 hours is no joke but sitting in and rocking the last few laps is the way to go.

I'm interested in this too but right now I cannot commit to the date. By the October 13th closing date I will know and some preparations would be advantageous.

Well, it is said that the only way to become faster is to go racing, so I have completed my entry for the 3 hour solo.

Haha. With that many people, looks like we could do with some tactics and a plan then, eh.

Haha. With that many people, looks like we could do with some tactics and a plan then, eh.

The first has to be not to make the same mistake I did last time...

I arrived at the line very late on (due to a last minute nervous 'evacuation') which left me trying to push to the front but ending up behind all the slow riders (marshall put the kaibosh on it and I didn't play the gaijin smash card, i.e. "me no speak Japanese mr pre-pubescent warden sir".

This resulted in me being in no mans land between the fast and medium paced group (on my own) for the duration.

Fail indeed.

First thing is to find out which category (3 hour or 5 hour solo) people are riding. I'm up for the 5-hour, so is @urt. You might want to go for the 5-hour one too @TCC based on the 3-hour peleton being a very mixed-ability group that could upset your easygoing attitude on life and your bike. So far:
3 hour solo:
@xDOMx
@TimeTraveler
@macrophotofly
@Tuomas
5 hour solo:
@urt
@GrantT
Not yet decided:
@TCC
@Heath
@AlexGiesswein
@Musashi13
As for lining up at the start, last time there was about a 30-minute test-ride period before the start of the race where everyone could ride the course. I was lucky that when I came round to the start line after a couple of laps people had just started to line up, so I got a place near the front. But you could easily just push your way through anyway, and the first half a lap is ridden at a controlled speed behind a marshall (proper one) so probably okay not being right at the front.
This is all moot for the 5-hour category though, which starts off as a separate group with about a half-lap lead on the 3-hour group, as the 5-hour category was much smaller last time so no problems with getting caught near the back.

Yeah 5 hour is cool with me.

Whatever people chose, we can all work together to get the top 3 podium places in each catagory.

Was thinking more about tactics in the actual 'race'. Are we going to elect the strongest people to protect until the last few laps, then unleash them, or are we just going to go round and round together and all leg it away together right at the end?

This looks mighty interesting. I wonder if I can keep up for a 2 hour or 3 hour solo. hmmmm

Well, I am free the weekend the entries close but not the weekend of the event. You'll have to manage without me, I'm afraid.

Good luck out there:tup

I am definitely up for this too (the 3hr one) if I can work out how to sign up for it. I assume there are categories for girls....

Sounds like fun as long as it is not too much of a crashfest!

Tor

@TorC I am sure someone will talk you through the sign up procedure. There is a while until the deadline so it can be sorted for sure.

Crashing; going by my recent performances, just stay away from me and you will be fine.

I have a very basic question considering your nutritional approach on this kind of race.
How did you hydrate/eat on the 3 hour race last time, and I guess it gets even trickier with 5 hours.

I am very energy inefficient, so even two bottles of liquid seems insufficient. Or just HTFU?

If you stay in the large group you will not be using that much energy. Last time when I was putting out a lot of effort in the blazing heat, 2 bottles and some pieces of cake were just enough. This will be in October when the temperature is much lower so you will not sweat that much.

OK, I am officially in.

King Of Enduro, 5 hour Solo.
Affiliate team; TCC
Enduro team; TCC

Thinking about it then...

5hrs, at about 40kmph average, = 200km. Knock that down to about 180km for various fannying around distractions and that looks like the distance we will be doing.

Back
Top Bottom