What's new

Race Kawasaki Enduro June 16th 2019

Are you guys riding to the event? I'm going to be driving there so you can store some stuff in my car if you need to. Although I don't think I'll be there to see the start of the 5 hour event.

Sorry, I've caused a misunderstanding....Measuring me around the middle makes me about 200 centimeters! Measuring from top to bottom, I'm only 177, so not tall at all

The entry list has been up on Bike Navi's website
A rough count and it looks like it will be 200-280 entries for both the 2 and 3 hr enduros including the 5 hr cat. Watch your step at the start, it's gonna be a rush.
I noted that by adding a 1 hr race in the early morning, Bike Navi has reduced to 40 mn the time between the 3 and 2 hr enduros.
That means not much time allowed to recognize the lap if you need, and take position at the start. It is gonna be a rush again
And less recovery time for me in the 5 hr enduro, a nightmare.

By the way, I hope Bike Navi will give a small reward, whatever it is, an energy drink or towel. I went to the Hitachinaka race in May and did not get anything (or I missed it but I don't think). After a long and hard ride, adding the fact the race was expensive and they made us paying the parking, like here in Kawasaki, it was a bit of disappointment. I praise JCRC for that, keeping prices low and always giving a small present, but every organizer generally gives.

Anyway, hope the weather will be with us.

The entry list has been up on Bike Navi's website

There's only four people in my category so I'm fancying my chances of hitting the podium!
Having said that, I'm going to be much slower than most people. What is the proper etiquette if faster riders are coming up behind me? Should I maintain my line or move to let them through? (Assuming, of course, that I'm not taking the wind for you roadies....)

Queen Vic reportedly had a great circumference than height, so you're in 'steemed company!

That's pretty Empressive!

Having said that, I'm going to be much slower than most people. What is the proper etiquette if faster riders are coming up behind me? Should I maintain my line or move to let them through? (Assuming, of course, that I'm not taking the wind for you roadies....)

Keep left for sure. If you can, I'd be trying to hop onto the back of a passing train as long as you are not impeding someone already in the group. Don't brake or slow down as there will be folks behind the front few who can't see you directly and the lesser the closing speed the safer it is. If its on a corner, like a hairpin, just take a wider line particularly if it's the last lap as things might be frantic.

Have a watch of this. You can get the layout of the land and see how some of the passing action happens. I'm in there somewhere also. I got passed on the final lap. It is not as mad as it seems when you are there, but they go pretty darn hard.

You are a speedy guy though (even if you do take some wind). You'll have fun. Always someone to ride with or aim to catch even if you are alone.

I see that I was the only one who put down TCC for my team :-O

Keep left for sure. If you can, I'd be trying to hop onto the back of a passing train as long as you are not impeding someone already in the group. Don't brake or slow down as there will be folks behind the front few who can't see you directly and the lesser the closing speed the safer it is. If its on a corner, like a hairpin, just take a wider line particularly if it's the last lap as things might be frantic.

Have a watch of this. You can get the layout of the land and see how some of the passing action happens. I'm in there somewhere also. I got passed on the final lap. It is not as mad as it seems when you are there, but they go pretty darn hard.

You are a speedy guy though (even if you do take some wind). You'll have fun. Always someone to ride with or aim to catch even if you are alone.

I see that I was the only one who put down TCC for my team :-O

This is wonderful! Thank you! That buzz sends a chill up my spine! Those numbers are staggering. I certainly won't be anywhere near that, even for a couple of minutes, let alone a couple of hours.
It gets a bit crowded in parts....I hope I don't make an effin' nuisance of myself.
I didn't race under TCC (because I didn't want to cause any embarrassment to real cyclists), but I had intended to wear a TCC jersey. Having seen how well the guys ride, I'm now going in under Team 考えRoo, so you guys won't have to associate with me! :) (I did like the people in the banana suits at the end and thought about something like that, but it seemed it probably wouldn't be taken too well....)
Thanks, @wexford !

Indeed, a high chance of winning
To be honest, I'll be happy if I can just finish the two hours. A secondary goal is to have a speed greater than 30 kph. Anything else is gravy (until I get on the track and my competitive juices start stirring and then it's every bloody man for himself)

Any tips on registration / start line order etiquette? Given that my Japanese language skills are limited to a few pre-canned phrases, any instructions they give me will go in one ear and out the other as I smile and nod vigorously (heck, I was happy to have google-translated through the signup form...) .

i'll plan on showing up a little before 10:30 when the 2-hour registration starts, so maybe I'll see y'all in line. look for the Cookie Monster jersey!

Unfortunately my knee has been feeling bit iffy this week :cry: So, sorry @wexford, I will be a low-quality domestique for you on Sunday...

If you can sustain a fast start and a 40kpm for a while, a good warming up and get in position early for the start to be at the front. Otherwise, I would advise to start in the middle of the bunch and make your best to follow at your pace.

A quick remind of the basic rules will be said before the start but everything makes sense. Keep left , etc, etc
Cycling is an international language isn't it

Last year the start killed me. It starts off under a controlled start and then half way down the straight, the race gets underway and the pace picks up. That bit is not too bad as there is a good draft. It's the sprinting out of the corners that got me. Try as I might, that bit was just super hard and depending on how well teh folks in front of you did, you'll have to pass them and try to latch on to the group for dear life. Once you get there its ok but then it just repeats over and over again. The only place it lets off is if you are the front man or if you get dropped. I'll try to be there early to have a look at the 3 hour lads as they do their rounds. Not sure what time yet. I'll be wearing the TCC jersey (not the new one though). Hopefully weather will play ball.

@Elzico2012 - what is your race number and what will you be wearing? Will look out for you in the 3 hour.

Touch wood. Sunday looks like it will be dry now. I guess that can change too. It does look damn windy though. That might be a tad interesting for folks with deep rims and will probably make drafting interesting also. Wondering what pressure to run in my tires. Road surface can be quite bad but my 23C tires perhaps like more air for speed... Gosh. Decisions, decisions.

@wexford
Number 10.
All black , a little bit of red, with a dark blue Mojito Kask.
Nothing flashy, the socks maybe.
Tall on a bike, a bit like Chris Froome.
Hope to stay in the main bunch for at least 1 hour but after, I guess I will be hanging in a smaller group behind

Dry and sunny weather expected tomorrow but strong SW winds at 8m/s, gusty.
Nothing to stop the winds along the shore. I hope it will be ok.

See you guys around 10:30 somewhere. My wife and kids coming. Their first bike event.

That was a super fun event. Tried to be feisty at the front until the incredible sea wind shot me out the back, teaming up with @wexford for a bit chasing, and cheering on the guy in the salaryman suit... I would do this again. And yes, @Kangaeroo #1 in his division, on the podium !

And never forget:
IMG_0430.JPG

P.S. @Half-Fast Mike now I too have witnessed the brass band outside the undersea tunnel.
IMG_0433 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom