What's new

Ride Kasayama, Nihongi & Goat Track

Mlac Peek

Peek pace master
Jun 12, 2012
Gday all! A later start this week for anyone who likes a lie in...
image.jpeg
We follow the usual drill up the river and after breakfast head up Kasayama. The descent comes out half way up Sadamine but we'll take a right turn and go down for two or three fast kms before hitting the turn for Nihongi. Over the other side a nice quiet valley will eventually take us past the Hannah Cafe pizza place and up the Goat Track. From there we whizz past Shiraishi (on the 172) and break out of the hills. Anyone with any strength left after that is on pulling duty with me all the way back down the river.

It's possible to bail after the first climb and bag a train from Ogawamachi, but once you're over Nihongi you're committed.

Should be fun, and the temperature doesn't look too bad for this weekend, so far.

Please express your interest through the usual channels. Cheers!

What: Kasayama, Nihongi & Goat Track
When: Sunday 24th July 2016
Meeting: Spaceship 7am
Distance: 160km+
Pace: Steady as she goes.

Last edited:
No go for me mate a weekend of work stuff. But have a good one.

Are we allowed to play Pokemon Go on this ride?

Pokemon Go is acceptable if you are in the queue but you will be disqualified if you are on the front and take us off course in your desire to catch those pesky little critters.

Just me and @Mlac Peek today, so obviously we went for it pretty relentlessly from the get go, and didn't let up until the end.

Highlights

-Some prick who was blatantly still drunk from last night / finally coming to terms with the fact that he has handed over his entire life to the inescapable reality of endless salariman slavery for 200,000yen a month before tax, decided he didn't want to live any more, and overtook us, and the pick up van that was overtaking us, into oncoming traffic, despite the fact that there was a red light less than 200 metres in front of us. We were alright, as we were not in direct contact with the loser, but I decided it would be a good idea to let him go first, and not put ourselves at any more risk. I shouted ahead to Peek to slow down and hold back, then turned to keep an eye on the guy as he went past as the lights turned green. As I turned back to carry on, I found that Mlac had actually come to a full stop, so obviously I went right into the back of him. My shifter went up his arse, and I caned my shin really really hard against his QR lever. I got a comedy Beano style instant lump with a cut on the top of it on my shin, which hurt like a bastard for the rest of the day. and Peek now needs therapy. Haha.

-The weather was perfect all day. It even got cold at the top of Kasayama. Didn't feel like nearly August at all.

-Loads of climbing, and descending. Was loving my new front rim. It is definitely more stable, and I can throw my bike into corners a lot more aggressively. I realised I had not really done much multiple climb rides for a while, so used today to get back into that. Didn't go max-power on any of the climbs, but paced myself over them. Was good.

-The mountains were humid but not hot, so it felt really lush to be up high, flying through the trees and elevated roads.

-Mlac nearly ran over a snake.

-Taking it in turns belting it back into town was quality.

etc.

Rides like this are well good.

Excellent ride, perfect weather. @D'Pioneer was flying up the hills and looking comfortable every time the road tilted towards the sky; the man was on fire. We shared duty on the flats keeping the pace high and the legs cooking - it was a killer day in the saddle. Looking forward to the next one!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom