What's new

karuizawa ideas?

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Bit of an impulsive decision but me and the family are on our way to Karuizawa. Managed to squeeze the bike in the car. Not checked the map yet, but any recommendations for riding?

Just a couple of hours before breakfast probably.

Any ideas gladly received!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Alan,

Thank you so much! The hotel we are at seems to be at around the 5km mark on your mapmyride route. I'll follow the route you suggest to the 27km mark, then drop down onto R254 and loop back by R43.

Seems to be lots of little roads splintering off here and there so I may end up losing myself a bit. Should be a nice 2h ish loop.

Really appreciate you taking the time to share the link. 5 degrees out so I'll be debuting the winter jacket!

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy, hope you had a nice ride. This was too short notice for me to reply as I didn't log into the TCC site last night. Next time please feel free to e-mail me. Happy to share my dictionary of roads and passes in Kanto Joshinetsu - now even more so as I cannot cycle any longer.

Cheers, Ludwig

That loop worked out really well (65 km, 1400 m climbing).

Ludwig I'll do some more asaren tomorrow weather permitting, so if you have any good ideas, I'd be really grateful!

Andy

Sure, what would be the max (time/climbing/distance) you can do without offending the family?

Cheers Ludwig!

2h, 50 ~ 60 km, climbing? as much as is available!

If you could point out some roads, that would be great. Nothing too difficult to find as I only have a page torn from a kanto road atlas...

Andy

How did you like that very long rindo today? The first 10km or so must have been pretty bad - lots of debries. Very nice views though of Asama-san, Karuizawa and later many other mountains (around the farm).

If you can somehow negotiate more time/leave earlier, I would recommend the following loop:

http://classic.mapmyride.com/route/jp/nagano/532131988416833234

The climb up Jizo Toge is very nice and the views up there into all directions (including to the peak of Asama-san) are great.

The route I have indicated takes you over two toll roads. On the first, bicycles are definitely not allowed, but you can probably negotiate yourself around the toll booth at the entrance (meaning avoid to be seen). Traffic on the toll road is low. Alternatively you can take a small detour over the main road.

The second toll road is open to bicycles, at least from the side you are entering (and as Tom and I tested the other day, from Karuizawa the no bicycle signs are not enforced by either toll booth).

If you really only have 2h, then this route would also be nice, even though it is not a loop. The old kokudo is the Nakasendo and almost free of any traffic, but very nice, especially in 紅葉. The rindo up to Kirizumi Onsen is also nice. If you want to see the historic onsen where the Japanese constitution was drafted (Tom and I slept in the very room), you need to take the steep road through the barrier on the right at the end of the rindo. The last short bit is gravel, but passable.

http://classic.mapmyride.com/route/jp/nagano/801131988451784175

Have fun! Ludwig

Ludwig,

Thank you so much for plotting those maps. You could be a cycling guide in your spare time I'm sure.

The first one looks a bit too much as I want to be back by 8 really but I will keep it in mind for the future. We were up there on the 2nd toll road in the car today actually. Fantastic views. Even better views from the top of the big wheel in the kids theme park.

The second one looks more doable. I was thinking of extending it a bit by coming back on what I guess in the new kokudo running parallel to the south of the old one. It's labelled as a "bypass" but looks nice and windy and maybe not too congested early in the morning? Or maybe head out on that one, climb to the onsen and back on the old kokudo...

Anyway, thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on.

Andy

I have never taken the new kokudo, but it will have a lot more traffic than the old one. Probably better to take it down. The old one has some patches with not so good road surface which you would probably avoid by taking the new one. Going up the old one should be nice (have done that too). Not so steep.

Enjoy! Ludwig

Cheers guys for all the info. Two nice rides this weekend on roads that I probably wouldn't have found otherwise.

A good cycling destination for anyone who is interested. Some photos on the blog.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom