What's new

Kansai Member, reporting for duty.

FrustratedDave

Warming-Up
Apr 9, 2013
Hey all, new Kansai member here, coming from a different forum which Thomas runs as well. I have lived here for close to 20 years now and started cycling about 4 years ago as means to get to work and get fit again, sold one of the cars and never looked back. It will be great to talk with others who ride in Japan daily, as I have had my fair share of crashes, run ins with Yakuza while on my bike and pretty much anything that concerns insurance and police reports.

Just the other day, I had a guy coming out of a Pachinko clean me up, I was stopped and he just did not look and ran straight into me , ran over my foot and I pushed in his rear quarter panel all to save my bike (Which I did BTW).

Anyway, here is a pic of my ride.
Looking forward to joining in here.

8634116896_09a05051cc_h.jpg

Great you made it over here, Dave, and welcome! I've had badgers, cats, rats, dogs, toads, joggers, taxis, buses, other bikes, but never a yakuza run-in. What happened? ;)

Thanks Thomas.

Well, where do I start. I was doing a ride on a nice Sunday morning in summer, about 40km and I was about 3 km's from home. I had just done a big climb and was on the downhill going about 50kph on a two way double lane road (Speed limit 60kph) when a Suzuki Kei van pulled out of a drive from a Maajyan without looking. So I had to pull an evasive maneuver and I ended up in the middle of the two way road at this vans right hand door. Understandably I was rather pi$$ed off so I gave them the finger. Now things get interesting, by this time I was able to break enough and get behind them, but the driver slammed on his brakes and I went to the left of the van and he swerved at me and ran me off the road. I hit the gutter and punchered my front tire. Now a guy who is in a singlet that has tatoos of a Koi fish right down wrists fashioned like a shirt (Think Gokudo no tsuma), gets out of the car and starts at me, he flying off the handle as to why I gave him the finger, so I just stood there and listened to the moron for bit and did not say anything. Remember there were 3 of them so I was not looking for a fight, so the guy finally says in Japanese 'Stupid Gaijin!', now I could have let it go there and all would have been over, but besides the fact that I now have a front trie flat and that they had no regard for my life, the 'Stupid Gaijin!' remark just pi$$ed me off even more. So I said to the guy, that they pulled out in front of me without even looking in my direction and they almost hit me. The guy lets out a whole heap of profanities and was obvious that he could not be reasoned with, so after he had his piece I calmly explained that I had a camera on my bike and pointed to it and said if they want to take this any further that I would be glad to give the video footage to the police of them running me off the road (Which there so happened to be a Koban about 200m from where this was taking place). The guy said in not so many words 'Fuck you' and got back in the car and they drove off. Well, what these guys did not know was the the battery of my Contour + had run out about 30 mins ago and I did not have any footage off the incident. I did not end up going to the police , b/c you need to be hit by the car for them to do anything or have a good eye witness make a statement of what they saw. I had neither of these since it was about 8 o'clock in the morning. After this, I researched the Maajyan place and apparently it is a place where a lot of the local Yakuza/Chinpira go to gamble and these guys had probably played all night and were probably boozed up heading home and I was unlucky enough to cross their path.

It still annoys me to this day that in a fist fight I would have easily been able to take these pathetic excuses for men (I used to do mix martial arts before I became too busy with work), but the trouble after getting into a fight with them is just not worth it. I am glad I stayed calm and did not engage them. And that is my story.

BTW, I re-linked the pic. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom