Kansai-ites on this forum?

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Kobe
Just curious, are there any Kansai (Kobe to be specific) based members active on this forum? I usually ride with co-workers, but would be good to ride with fellow English speakers on occasion.

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Kobe
Bueller...?

Bueller....?

Bueller....?

I guess thats a no. If anyone has any questions on rides in Kansai and specifically Kobe, feel free to hit me up. Riding is great down here!

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
Not from Kansai but I schlepped round Biwa-ko just before the New Year as my wife's hometown is right next to the lake.

I'd love to head out there again this year at some point - I've heard there are some great rides through the forested hills to the northeast of Kyoto.

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Kobe
Yes, there is some awesome riding around Kyoto. I did the Rapha Gents race in Kyoto last year and there are plenty of epic climbs and backroads.

Here is a photo taken while we were riding the Gents ride....these types of roads (both paved and gravel) are pretty common in N. Kyoto.

DeltaForce

Maximum Pace
Sep 17, 2011
Toki, Gifu
Not in Kansai, but closer to you than the Kanagawans. I'm in Gifu, 40km NE of Nagoya city.

I saw a Kyoto Rapha gentleman's ride vid on Youtube, it looks fantastic. Like Bawbag, I'm into checking out those roads north of Kyoto. Will the gentleman's ride be held again this year? I'd be into that for sure.

Lot's of great roads here in Gifu, too.

Dec 31, 2009
Matsumoto
The gents ride requires an invitation and you have to be apart of a group. I did the Yatsugatake gents race. Only 160 km but included an 11km dirt climb. I think your best bet would be to ask at your local Rapha shop or send them an email.
You could just get on your bike and ride it! I have the gps from the gents ride if you want it. The riders are started at different times if your entire team doesn't finish then the team doesn't get placed. Entry was a 6 pack of your favorite microbrew witch was shared at the end over Yakiniku. What impressed me most was the cinematography created from the event. I can always watch it and remember. I wish all races were like this. It's a shame it's so exclusive, but that also is an appeal (if you are invited!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Kobe
Agreed....the teamwork aspect of the ride made it quite memorable. I was impressed with the quality of beer at the after party.....our team brought a case of racer5, and Stone IPA, with plenty of other great Japanese craft beer to be had.

But yes, it is invite only, and rightfully so. Its one of Rapha's main local branding tools and they should control the event as they see fit.