Just stopped in shimada city - going to nagoya

sunil

Warming-Up
Dec 5, 2010
Tokyo
Left Tokyo yesterday and got through gotemba with no issues.
Had read about the headwinds but it was pretty wild today. Must have spent at least a good 50k with the wind against me.
In shimada city now. Does anyone know how far the winds go on for? Will be targeting nagoya tomorrow.
Thanks

Badar

Warming-Up
Sep 24, 2010
Tokyo
Tokyo to Shimada in one day.. against the wind, that's great progress!

I travelled from Nagoya to Omaezaki (south of Shimada) and I always had a strong tailwind so that means you will probably have head wind. It snowed in Kyoto so maybe the wind will be very cold, have appropriate clothing. Maybe it can be helpful to take interior roads rather than the coastal Rt.150 as the winds are stronger near the cost...
..but I don't know much, maybe someone experienced doing this (Travis?) against the wind can say better.

Good luck!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
The wind, huh!

It's hard to say for sure "when" the wind will blow.
The "where" is easy: Everywhere!
It really comes down to luck - Some days, it will be there, other days it won't.
For where you are, it won't matter if you take the coastal road or stay on the inland roads - The direction the wind blows this time of year is very predictably, from the southwest. I actually had a terrible time riding through Kakegawa & Fukuroi last year - The low flat plains between the two mountain ranges literally channels the wind directly at you. Once you cross Tenryu-gawa though, it won't be so bad.
You can only pray to whichever weather gods you think will listen to you - You might get lucky, and only have the slightest breeze. And even if you don't, you HAVE to keep telling yourself that "that break in the wind is just about to happen, just around the next bend!"
Trust me, if you let it, your own MIND will break you far sooner than wind ever could.
A good mantra for those kinds of days is, "I don't have to get there fast, I just have to get there!" (This is also appropriate for riding on rainy days with dangerous, slippery roads).
Good luck with the ride!
Travis

sunil

Warming-Up
Dec 5, 2010
Tokyo
Thanks - getting an early start and will hope for the best!
Good mantra, my mantra yesterday was "keep pedaling"

Time to go!!

sunil

Warming-Up
Dec 5, 2010
Tokyo
No breaks in the wind!

The wind never let up! Actually it let up about 50km outside of Nagoya.
Was a good ride overall but made do the reverse next time.

Thanks