What's new

Just Moved to Tokyo

VisualNinja

Warming-Up
Apr 6, 2009
Hi Everyone!

My name is Viki and I just moved from the US to Tokyo last month for my job. I'm actually fairly new to cycling as well - I just picked it up last year when I started training for my first triathlons. I would love to go on some semi-easy :)nosweat:) rides sometime, but my first problem is that I don't have a bike here!

Are there any places to rent bikes or buy good, used one in Tokyo? If not, if anyone knows of someone that has a bike I could borrow, I would be so grateful and be willing to pay too! I'm 5 foot even, so I'm really short, so would need a relatively small bike.

Or if anyone has any suggestions on how to get started here, I'd appreciate it as well :) I'm hoping to continue my triathlon training or at least be able to do some cycling around Tokyo/Japan.

Thank you!

Welcome to the black hole of cycling called TCC... you will never be able to leave this site... :)

My wife is about your size and she was talking of selling her Trek yesterday...

I'll ask her if she meant it. It is not the regular size road bike though. People around you and my wife's height should not really ride full sized bikes unless you really have a reason to.
I'd suggest you get a professional fitting done to confirm this.

http://www.trekbikes.com/women/wsd_products/wsd_difference/

Once you know exactly what size bike you need you'll be able to start shopping.
Don't just get something you think may be OK.
Having the wrong size (too high, low, long short, too big, too small etc. ) may lead to long term bad habits and even injury.

A few threads in this forum on getting a fitting done and one member is a pro at it....

What's your price range?

Thanks for the welcome! :D

I don't really have a set price range, but preferably something under $1000 (USD) would be great, especially since I'm only here temporarily.

Is your wife serious about selling her bike? If so, I would be serious about buying if it's the right fit.

I'll take a look around at some places to get a good fitting. I just hope that the places I do find have some English guidance, haha :warau:

Thanks for the tips and please let me know if you get a chance to ask your wife.

Really, that would work too! Please let me know what she says if you got the chance to ask her, I'd really appreciate it :D

Also, I've been told that buying a bike in the US and getting it shipped here is actually cheaper than if I decided to buy one here. What are your thoughts on that?

Also, I've been told that buying a bike in the US and getting it shipped here is actually cheaper than if I decided to buy one here. What are your thoughts on that?
IMHO buying second hand here is more fiscally responsible. Sorry too much economic news lately. Welcome to TCC. Check out the auctions and secondhand bike sales. Make sure you get the right size.

Back
Top Bottom