Wanted Junior HS student looking for his 1st road bike.

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
One of my students at a junior high school is looking to invest all his pocket money into his first road bike.
I've been trying to get him to buy a new one...but on 2nd thoughts he'll probably grow a lot in the next three years and a good second hand one will be perfect.
He's 166cm tall.
Let me know if there is anything out there....preferably Shimano 105, Ultegra or Dura and not too shabby a frame.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
He'll likely be crashing a bit so are you looking for carbon, alumi or steel? We know carbon is pretty tough but the bike shops might tell him otherwise. He'll also want to flick it on at some stage so maybe he should try and get a slightly used one from a bike shop.(2013 models are pretty cheap right now, esp 105). He also can't do servicing himself so unless you are keen on wet nursing him through the basics, get him to buy one from a shop and they can look after him even if you transfer away from the school.

Last edited:

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
Fukushima
What year is he in? 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? That makes a big difference in how much he's gonna grow (generally speaking).

Just find him a cheap used steel frame that's a wee bit too big and put 105 components and a short stem, short crank, and small bars on it.

Replace the parts he outgrows.

If a first year student he's going to outgrow it by the time he graduates JHS, but if he's a third year student he may or may not outgrow it by the time he graduates high school.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I've got a couple of junk frames. You're welcome to them for free. Both are definitely serviceable, just not <pretty> - just need to be built up. They are both alloy, btw. I'd suggest them starting out on some economy TB25 tubular wheels - I have parts and can sell you at cost. I do this for any U-23 rider. They can build their own wheels and start to gain some valuable experienced right from the start. For groupset - generally older club members contribute or give away older unused stuff. Like chainset, deraillers, shifters, etc. Almost every U-23 rig I've seen is built up this way. Shimanolo Frankentour. I also have cheap, adjustable stems and crit bars that work both for track and road. No reason you can't get a decent rig going for under 25,000 yen.

Nate

Warming-Up
Dec 16, 2013
Hi, I am selling a great beginners bike for a great price! Trek 1.0 Pilot size 50cm, used but still has a lot of life! I will post pics in a couple of hours if interested. Asking price, ¥45,000, but price is definitely negotiatble!

tarepanda

Speeding Up
Sep 23, 2011
Maebashi
Did you ever find a bike for him? I have a medium Giant TSR for sale. It fits me (short-legged 175 cm) pretty well, so I'm guessing it would be good for him now and later, depending on how much he grows this year.