What's new

Today June 2024

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
We're into June and therefore the rainy season but at least that will keep off the worst summer heat for a few more weeks. That and 5 full weekends this month are a blessing! :)

I did one metric Century (100+ km) and one Full/Imperial Century (100+ miles = 160.9+ km) in May.

My June Century will have to wait until I get back from Austria and Germany where I will be flying tomorrow on business for a week. Looks like it will be cooler in Vienna but as warm as it is here right now on the following weekend.

This is your monthly thread for rides and other parts of your cycling lives!

Last edited:
Sunday was a complete washout. No way I was getting out there voluntarily!

Saturday was brilliant however... rode up the Tama River. Didnt do the whole loop - only about 30km in all, but it was a nice day out on the bike!

We moved house in March and since then I have been searching for stuff that got tidied up. Took me month to find my Garmin GPS. 6 weeks to find my tire pressure gauge. Still haven't found my foldable rear carrier☹️ (probably folded into a very small space) so had to buy another one before the rainy season arrives. I guess the old one will suddenly turn up now. On the plus side this Ortlieb is quite an upgrade 😊.rack_three_f78103_detail1.jpg

Total of 3,382km in 2024 so far, 857km in April, 614km in May.... not sure yet what to do in June. Go hard to get plenty more before the rainy season kicks off and kind of start my climatization to the heat again, or make age related excuses and pansy out by resigning myself to the indoor trainer with an AC?

Well that was easy lol.

Total of 3,382km in 2024 so far, 857km in April, 614km in May.... not sure yet what to do in June. Go hard to get plenty more before the rainy season kicks off and kind of start my climatization to the heat again, or make age related excuses and pansy out by resigning myself to the indoor trainer with an AC?

Well that was easy lol.
Yeah Im already expecting to spend a considerable amount of time on the trainer between July and September... simply because its just so brutal staying cool enough in midsummer.

Debrutalize the summer months:
  • Attach two or three water bottles. Take along a stack of hundred yen coins. Experiment to find which soft drinks are the least loathsome. Drink drink drink.
  • Set off on longer rides really early, so you arrive back home by two or three. (And then, have a long drink.)
  • For a loop route with a big climb, do it in whichever direction lets you do the climb from the north, so the southern slope is a descent.
  • Investigate Bōsō or whatever's your local peninsula: temperatures will be moderate.
  • At home, use the air conditioner minimally, if at all.

Since I took on a part-time job I really haven't done any camping or cycling long distance. The weather is really getting great and unfortunately my work schedule is kind of messed up with 5 days and part-time work and my two days off are separated but anyway that's life. But I'll be getting a month worth of cycling and Thailand at the end of the month and in July so that should be really a good experience for me. I'll either buy a bike or a friend that I know that lives in Bangkok might be borrowing that bike but I'm not too for sure yet.

Been a funky few months with work getting in the way and not being able to find time to get out to ride.

Finally, dropped a few things, and trying to find time for myself again and the first thing I did was ride. Not much - just a few rides around the block - but didn't feel it. Felt like something was not quite right. Perhaps the enjoyment has gone as I hadn't ridden since the middle of February or so.

I'm going out for a couple of rides this weekend with friends and hoping that's the jolt to get my enjoyment back again.

My ride (with two others) on Thursday 6th:

My ride (with six others) on Sunday 9th (yesterday):

As always, I was the slowest in the group. But being slow (and generally crap) at something a little ambitious can be fun all the same.

Got out on Sunday for a longish ride of 110 km around Miura then back up again. Did the old slip, slap, slop Aussie style with suncream and a hat - still managed to get sunburnt.

I do love a good Miura ride, especially going through Hayama and avoiding Yokosuka, but I hate the stretch of road from Kinugasa down to Kurihama Port is one rough ride along some really shoddy road. I wish they could pave it over, add some proper bike lines, and make the Pacific Route a nicer stretch down there.

My ride (with two others) on Thursday 6th:

My ride (with six others) on Sunday 9th (yesterday):

As always, I was the slowest in the group. But being slow (and generally crap) at something a little ambitious can be fun all the same.

Any way you could share that first route with a GPX file please? Looks like a fun ride there.

Our "Teach a man to fish" department offers:
  1. Click on "More" (at the top of the RwGPS screen)
  2. Click on "Export as File"
  3. Choose your file format (note that some choices have sub-choices, as it were)

If there's a problem, let me know.
Got it - thanks for that.

Yesterday I (yet again) went here:

10.jpg

I trust that y'all will recognize it. But if not, then:

P6122186d.JPG

It was a weekday, plus I only decided to do it the night before, so I didn't bother advertising it, even privately. But come to think of it, over the years I've advertised this or that version to Tokyo Half Fast at least five times. The most recent of these (17 March), I threw in Tossaka as a bonus and we had an exciting time -- but I don't think that any of the (four, excellent) people who came did so thanks to the HF ad. Perhaps I should get hold of Copywriting for Dummies.

So this route peaks at 1146m. What elevation do you start from? Like the classic look of your bike too. Can you say more about it?

Back
Top Bottom