What's new

Today June 2022

Sounds like a wonderful and achievable goal. Do you do/count indoor riding, or 'weather-be-damned' I'm going out..?

Yesterday I had a medical Appt. I was going to be sedated, but awake.... until there was an emergency and my surgeon was called to the other.... and I was sedated longer than anticipated. I have no memory or the surgery or leaving the OR. I remember talking to my wife after, but no idea what the conversation was. I remember the ride home, then I went to sleep. (this was before lunch).
I woke up this morning at 2am and did some dishes and picked up. Back to sleep by 3.
I woke up to my alarm at 4 to ride...... nope. Back to sleep.
I slept until 615 and got to work just on time.
I still feel groggy AF and I am coaching a ball game tonight...
This is going to be the longest day of my year.
I hope to get in a night ride tonight, but the way I feel, I am betting against it.

outdoors only. Yeah I made it achievable otherwise disappointment sucks motivation.
Hopefully July can see an extra few kms or minutes added. I used to ride 50kms on my off days 30 years ago and 80 in the morning before going to work was common. Same body but it's not.

44km this morning, the usual course. Maybe a personal high on moving speed, avg 22.5

Edit: personal high this season...! :) Parts of the ride were of course faster, but that's overall.

Last edited:
Went up the Edogawa River to Yoshikawa.
There was a nice breeze which cooled everything off.
I'm not a speedster but managed a decentish pace both ways,lol.
I'm convinced there are different types of winds.
Ones that are a **** when you head in to them and ones that don't bother you at all despite being similar in direction and speed.

Someone is selling this on the MTBG Facebook page -
It is a steal if you are looking for a Fatbike.
FWIW - I don't know Blake and have not seen it in person, however he is local to me and I can check it out if someone truly wanted it.

1654167800829.png

Someone is selling this on the MTBG Facebook page -
It is a steal if you are looking for a Fatbike.
FWIW - I don't know Blake and have not seen it in person, however he is local to me and I can check it out if someone truly wanted it.
an hour later, this same bloker is seen on FB saying:

"I'll buy it. PM sent"

OK - so yes I am buying it.
BUT... there is a reason other than riding it.
Come to find out this bike was a buddy's bike 8 years ago.
He sold it and after a year, he has been trying to find it to try and buy it back.
So... I mentioned to him someone was selling a bike like his old one, he looked at the pics and said that is the actual bike he sold - then he asked me to buy it back for him and ship it to him. So there we are.
However just to test the waters, I told my wife I was buying another bike.... I am still alive with no bruises or cuts.
This is a good sign....

Last edited:
No motivation Morning Ride.
I got up, I had a plan.
I didn't execute that plan.
Nope.
Skipped Breakfast to get an earlier start.
I stopped for a picture and set my water bottle down.
I took off and 8km later, noticed no bottle.
Turned around to go get it.
All motivation was gone.
I rode back to Ishiki and sat on the beach for 10 minutes or so, then headed home.

1654292349038.png

I went to my LBS to get a new saddle and order new brakes for my mountain bike. I also wanted to make sure they have all the parts for the service of my road bike. The parts situation is still really bad. In the end, I took the one of the two offroad saddles they had and ordered a set of Shimano XT brakes.

They told me the brakes will likely arrive in August. We tried some other manufacturers. When I asked them about SRAM, they said it'll be winter by the time I get them. Not sure how much of that is a joke/exaggeration, but it seems that XT brakes are the ones that are most quickly available. (We also checked out Magura.) The price difference to SLX wasn't very big, so I stuck to XT. I also opted for a larger 180 mm rotor in the front to replace the 160 mm one that's currently on the bike.

Before putting on the saddle, the boss of the shop glanced at my bike and his eagle eyes discovered a crack in my handlebars. Ugh. Apparently, I used too much torque when I put it on. (I am pretty sure I set my torque wrench to 5 Nm, and the max for the handlebars is 6 Nm.) So I put in an order for a new Shimano handlebar with the same sweep. It's a bit longer (the one I have now is a tad too short for my taste), I upsized from 670 mm to 720 mm. I asked him to give the bike a thorough check when they put on the new brakes. (I didn't want to go through the availability dance with him, it seems this one will be delivered in the next few days.)

That's why I love my LBS, and I hate going there at the same time ;)

Unfortunately, the crack in the handlebars meant no offroad riding today, I went straight home. Bummer, the weather is beautiful today.

No motivation Morning Ride.
I got up, I had a plan.
I didn't execute that plan.
Nope.
Skipped Breakfast to get an earlier start.
I stopped for a picture and set my water bottle down.
I took off and 8km later, noticed no bottle.
Turned around to go get it.
All motivation was gone.
I rode back to Ishiki and sat on the beach for 10 minutes or so, then headed home.

View attachment 35453
Done something similar to that.
You have to take the philosophical approach when it happens......because it happens for a reason,right?Lol.
Great photos as always.......maybe that was the reason?

Windy, and had some other things to do, skipped today's ride--leaving me at 179km for the week.

I started riding again a couple of weeks ago after my thumb injury. Since then, every ride leaves me with a lot of pain in my knee joints and almost-cramping pain in my calf muscles. It's really annoying as the pain lasts for a few days.

I'm taking it easy - slow and fun rides with my Half-Fast crew.

IMG_1905.jpg
photo © @PSB

Last edited:
Since this morning was disappointing... I went back out tonight.
A 75k spin around Miura. I was rocking a summer kit, but it was chilly enough I could have had sleeves and been happy.
Traffic was amazingly non-existent for 85% of the ride. Heading into Yokosuka was nuts, but once I passed Heisei, it chilled out for the entire rest of the ride.
My motivation was still lacking - but I decided my goal would be either 75k or 2000cal.
75.02k and 2016cal. Seems I planned my route about right.

1654345034616.png

I started riding again a couple of weeks ago after my thumb injury. Since then, every ride leaves me with a lot of pain in my knee joints and almost-cramping pain in my calf muscles. It's really annoying as the pain lasts for a few days.
What's up with that? Just out of shape or something else?

Hope, whatever it is, you get over it soon.

Back
Top Bottom