What's new

Today June 2021

Hey BT
That looks exciting. I bet the beer was so good too!

Hey BT
That looks exciting. I bet the beer was so good too!
Honestly don't know how much I drank - apparently it was more than a few, but less than lots. :D
No hangover the next day, which was surprising but then I did drink plenty of fluids on the way this time around.

Yesterday: home to Takao, then this route

[which I really hope isn't in stupid old miles and feet] and then Hamura back to home. Total distance (as eyed by cat) 241.6 km; total elevation gain (as estimated by RwGPS) 3846m (surely a gross exaggeration).

A miscellany of observations:
  • I was overtaken by a few roadies on my way to Takao. No surprise there: I was conserving energy, and anyway I'm slow. But then something odd happened. From there till around 139 km on the RwGPS map, the total number of (user-propelled) bikes that I noticed -- going in either direction, propping up convenience stores, or elsewhere -- was zero. Of course it was a weekday; but surprising all the same.
  • The "old" (actually <30 years old) route (once a national road) from the south up to Matsuhime now has a name: Matsuhime-tōge rindō.
  • On my way up to the pair of tunnel mouths, I saw a raccoon dog (tanuki) scuttling along the towards me. That's a first for me.
  • Along Matsuhime-tōge rindō, I saw a fox, and two serows (kamoshika). And as I went along the rindō, I heard plenty of noisy rustling around that must surely have been the work of other, uh, megafauna.
  • I knew that riding home from Hamura would be dull, but didn't want to inflict my bulky bike or malodorous person on commuters or others. And so I rode the chari. It was dull at best. The large majority of my fellow road users treated me with respect; a significant minority buzzed me. The surface is pretty horrible and of course I didn't notice ridges and troughs till I was over them. Much more night riding would have me jonesing for a big-tyre bike. (Mine has 28 mm.)
  • A bonus for any retrometrologists among you: I rode 1.501 hectomiles! (Though a large percentage of these were junk.)
  • For the first time ever, I told myself not just to chug-a-lug liquids but also to gobble down 塩分チャージ tablets. They're said to be good; they can hardly be bad; and unlike many "supplements", they're dirt cheap. The day after, my head isn't in its best condition, but it's a lot better than I'd expected. So there you are: a smidgen more (scientifically worthless) anecdotal evidence.
PS Oh frick, RwGPS displays in feet and miles. Can the poster of a message override this somehow?

well done, great effort on a Monday. It"s easy for forum users to click on settings and go metric.

It"s easy for forum users to click on settings and go metric.
Harder if, like me, they're dimwitted, or anyway can't find the setting. I can't find it in "settings | preferences" (where I'd expect to find it) or in "settings | account details" (where I wouldn't); and I can't think where else it could be. (Maybe "settings" under "Media" -- but no, this doesn't appear to have settings.)

Decided it had been too long between rides in the hills as haven't taken trains since covid started so no rinko trips to Hanno made some routes.

Was going to leave at 5am to take an empty train out towards Ogose or Sakado but left late so rode out with plan for plenty of hills and train back.

Got to Kawagoe and stopped for coffee, super hot weather and was already a bit zonked but rode onto Moro past camping grounds and paragliding grounds up to Katsuragikannon.

Lots of moss, rocks, twigs on the road as not too much car traffic so took things easy, which saved me from hitting a tanuki. Last but was 19% but worth the view but by this time I was at 700m and fried, aborted the further 1000m I'd routed. School kids were starting to fill trains so decided to just ride back and finished day with 116km & 700m, and reminded myself the uphill isn't that much fun, downhill yes.

8433E5AA-76C1-4266-807D-796FDA0DABA3.jpeg3050F2C3-7575-4114-8526-72965872A979.jpegE489587F-13C3-420B-963E-76A001849C0C.jpegAF03A968-817A-4BDE-BEAC-1907C5729FB7.jpeg

Harder if, like me, they're dimwitted, or anyway can't find the setting. I can't find it in "settings | preferences" (where I'd expect to find it) or in "settings | account details" (where I wouldn't); and I can't think where else it could be. (Maybe "settings" under "Media" -- but no, this doesn't appear to have settings.)
In what you embedded, above, at the top of the small map that shows the course, there's a small box labeled "Settings" (with the usual 'gear' icon)--just click there, then tick metric (bottom of the dropdown).

Presto! ;)

Ah! As if I were . . . using RwGPS.

I'd assumed that this was awaiting input from TCC or more likely Xenforo. Certainly not from me, as what's embedded doesn't think that I've signed up, even though I have (and while using the same browser, too).

But yes, it works. Thank you, @jdd !

Your taste in bike setup may be entirely different from mine, and indeed yours could be a lot more level-headed than mine; and anyway I'm an ignoramus. But I have to say that if my saddle were angled like yours I would tire very quickly.

(Looking just now for another picture of your bike, I encountered

full

Now this, I really like.

And the angle of its saddle aside, I warmly approve of your bike, too. Anyway, ignore all stickybeaks, and angle the saddle however works best for you.)

Your taste in bike setup may be entirely different from mine, and indeed yours could be a lot more level-headed than mine; and anyway I'm an ignoramus. But I have to say that if my saddle were angled like yours I would tire very quickly.

(Looking just now for another picture of your bike, I encountered

full

Now this, I really like.

And the angle of its saddle aside, I warmly approve of your bike, too. Anyway, ignore all stickybeaks, and angle the saddle however works best for you.)
I get quite a few comments on my saddle angle.
I found that this seems to work best for me otherwise the old undercarriage hurts, especially as I spend a bit of time in the drops.

might have a try back to how the bike shop set before and see if I can get comfortable

a good ride for the day, cool
I clocked in 60 kilos today no pics for you all though maybe,not sure lol

After years of use the boa dial on my shoe finally broke off. Tried a warranty claim on Boa and to my surprise they Fedex a left/right repair kit to me 3 days later. Proper chuffed. Guess my next pair will also have Boa.

The repair procedure is a bit fiddly but a bit of patience and good lighting will get it done.

fr_1360_size640.jpg

Decided it had been too long between rides in the hills as haven't taken trains since covid started so no rinko trips to Hanno made some routes.

Was going to leave at 5am to take an empty train out towards Ogose or Sakado but left late so rode out with plan for plenty of hills and train back.

Got to Kawagoe and stopped for coffee, super hot weather and was already a bit zonked but rode onto Moro past camping grounds and paragliding grounds up to Katsuragikannon.

Lots of moss, rocks, twigs on the road as not too much car traffic so took things easy, which saved me from hitting a tanuki. Last but was 19% but worth the view but by this time I was at 700m and fried, aborted the further 1000m I'd routed. School kids were starting to fill trains so decided to just ride back and finished day with 116km & 700m, and reminded myself the uphill isn't that much fun, downhill yes.

View attachment 31637View attachment 31638View attachment 31639View attachment 31640
Downhill is fun because of the uphill. The more pain you have going uphill, the more fun you have coming down. :D

Downhill is fun because of the uphill. The more pain you have going uphill, the more fun you have coming down. :D
Enjoyment of the descent is a bonus. The real value of the climb is in the view from high above. Even if the descent is so steep or debris-covered that it becomes work it's still worth it if the view was great.

Jumped on the gravel bike yesterday after a few days on the road bike to play in the mud after a night of rain. On the way out to the dirt there was a minute but percepible squeak. Pays not to wear headphones sometimes and I didn't want them falling out and getting dirty.
The squeak was not that annoying but it started an earworm to the tune of Queen's iconic bike mechanic anthem "I will, I will fix you"
once I hit the gravel I couldn't hear it and hoped that it was just a fleeting thing.
Simon you're a young man hard man
Biking' in the street gonna take on the world some day

After getting myself and the bike well muddied up it was a ride back home on the streets and squeak squeak in time to the rotation of the wheels. I checked this by referencing the front valve and when it was in 6 oclock I got the squeak. "I will, I will find you" I stopped and rotated the front wheel half a turn to rule out the rear wheel. Yep front wheel with valve at 6 oclock position.
Pull on the front brake while pedalling and it's still there. It's not there when I just push the bike walking longside and if I stop pedalling it's still there squeak squeak.

Showered the bike and myself and a short ride to work squeak squeak but louder than before, "I will, I will find you"
At the office and I loosen the QR and shut it firmly after checking the seating of the wheel in the forks. A quick ride to the supermarklet to buy some food, squeak squeak to the point that pedestrians are looking around for the bike. "I will, I will find you"

Back for work untill 9pm and on the ride home a little less noisy but it's still there.
Buddy you're an old man poor man
Pleadin' with your ears gonna make you some peace some day

Fvck it, I'll fix it tomorrow
"I will, I will fix you"

So this afternoon, I coast it beside the house, no noise. it's about 10 degrees warmer today than yesterday, heat a factor?
Nevermind feeling proud that i'm not a bike mechanic failure, a short burst around the block with a bunny hop or two thrown in and after a minute or so squeak squeak.
You got mud on your face
You big disgrace
Somebody better put you back into your place

"I will, I will find you"
Back home switch out the front wheel just to check, no noise, it's that front wheel.
switch out skewers, squeak squeak. grease the skewer and axle and check the seals and bearings, all good. "I will, I will find you"

Squeak squeak. this is really staring to bug me now
Soke tension tested by finger pinch but this calls for the Park Tool TM-1. All spokes are evenly tensioned. "I will, I will find you"
Lord what you're doing to me? (Yeah, yeah)
I have spent all my years in believing you (Ooh, believing you)
But I just can't get no relief, lord.

Getting hotter under the collar now, take the wheel off and inspect inside of the dropouts. The earworm is like a Wembly crowd at LiveAid now "we will, we will find you" Drop outs are fine. Squeak squeak. Why would it go away if you changed nothing?

I get down (Down) on my knees (Knees) and I start to pray (Praise the lord)
'Till the tears run down from my eyes, lord (Ooh, lord)

then I check the valve nut and it's loose!

Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time
I'm having a ball,
Don't stop me now
If you wanna have a good time (wooh)
Just give me a call (alright)
Don't stop me now ('cause I'm having a good time)
Don't stop me now (yes, I'm having a good time)
I don't want to stop at all

and there endeth the earworm.

After years of use the boa dial on my shoe finally broke off. Tried a warranty claim on Boa and to my surprise they Fedex a left/right repair kit to me 3 days later.
That's good to know. I had an inline skate with Boa fail on me and I had to cut the lace to get the skate off. It wouldn't release at all and would have been a drama had I been further from home. I'll have to hit them up for a replacement myself.

Jumped on the gravel bike yesterday after a few days on the road bike to play in the mud after a night of rain. On the way out to the dirt there was a minute but percepible squeak. Pays not to wear headphones sometimes and I didn't want them falling out and getting dirty.
The squeak was not that annoying but it started an earworm to the tune of Queen's iconic bike mechanic anthem "I will, I will fix you"
once I hit the gravel I couldn't hear it and hoped that it was just a fleeting thing.
Simon you're a young man hard man
Biking' in the street gonna take on the world some day

After getting myself and the bike well muddied up it was a ride back home on the streets and squeak squeak in time to the rotation of the wheels. I checked this by referencing the front valve and when it was in 6 oclock I got the squeak. "I will, I will find you" I stopped and rotated the front wheel half a turn to rule out the rear wheel. Yep front wheel with valve at 6 oclock position.
Pull on the front brake while pedalling and it's still there. It's not there when I just push the bike walking longside and if I stop pedalling it's still there squeak squeak.

Showered the bike and myself and a short ride to work squeak squeak but louder than before, "I will, I will find you"
At the office and I loosen the QR and shut it firmly after checking the seating of the wheel in the forks. A quick ride to the supermarklet to buy some food, squeak squeak to the point that pedestrians are looking around for the bike. "I will, I will find you"

Back for work untill 9pm and on the ride home a little less noisy but it's still there.
Buddy you're an old man poor man
Pleadin' with your ears gonna make you some peace some day

Fvck it, I'll fix it tomorrow
"I will, I will fix you"

So this afternoon, I coast it beside the house, no noise. it's about 10 degrees warmer today than yesterday, heat a factor?
Nevermind feeling proud that i'm not a bike mechanic failure, a short burst around the block with a bunny hop or two thrown in and after a minute or so squeak squeak.
You got mud on your face
You big disgrace
Somebody better put you back into your place

"I will, I will find you"
Back home switch out the front wheel just to check, no noise, it's that front wheel.
switch out skewers, squeak squeak. grease the skewer and axle and check the seals and bearings, all good. "I will, I will find you"

Squeak squeak. this is really staring to bug me now
Soke tension tested by finger pinch but this calls for the Park Tool TM-1. All spokes are evenly tensioned. "I will, I will find you"
Lord what you're doing to me? (Yeah, yeah)
I have spent all my years in believing you (Ooh, believing you)
But I just can't get no relief, lord.

Getting hotter under the collar now, take the wheel off and inspect inside of the dropouts. The earworm is like a Wembly crowd at LiveAid now "we will, we will find you" Drop outs are fine. Squeak squeak. Why would it go away if you changed nothing?

I get down (Down) on my knees (Knees) and I start to pray (Praise the lord)
'Till the tears run down from my eyes, lord (Ooh, lord)

then I check the valve nut and it's loose!

Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time
I'm having a ball,
Don't stop me now
If you wanna have a good time (wooh)
Just give me a call (alright)
Don't stop me now ('cause I'm having a good time)
Don't stop me now (yes, I'm having a good time)
I don't want to stop at all

and there endeth the earworm.

I also had a clicking sound today.

At first I thought it was the rear derailleur.

But I realised it was coming at the same time on each pedal stroke.

Pedaled one leg to ascertain it was on the left side.

Pedaled in and out of the saddle to check it wasn't the saddle or seatpost.

Sprayed some "oil in cleaner" between the BB and crank arms to check it wasn't grime in there.

Sprayed some "silicon spray" on the cleats and metal pedal contact points to check it wasn't a pedal/cleat interface problem.

Rode in regular shoes to reconfirm this.

Checked the play in the pedal shaft. A bit more on the left side was enough to convince me that it was a bearings issue.

I was all set on new pedals (for Shimano MTB pedals, which are relatively cheap, it's better to just buy new pedals rather than buy parts which I do for Shimano Dura Ace road pedals).

As a last chance saloon, I took the pedals off, cleaned off the grit, greased up the thread, and put them back in.

Hey Presto! Click gone!

Well greased parts make this rockin' word go round!

Andy20210610_164029.jpg

Back
Top Bottom