What's new

Today June 2020

Being @ 191cm helps I guess, except with aero & uphill...
I've been able to lose about 12kg, lately my weight hasn't changed but body composition has and legs have toned up. Still need to drop at least 5kg, but ideally another 10kg. Wonder just how much faster I would be than my current 103kg..
Gravity will no longer be in your favor! I can already see where I am working harder now to get near my old "relaxing downhill speeds"
However the difference on the uphills has made up for my downhill loses.

Up hills definitely faster. Every few kilos makes a big difference. On the flats you will reach a point where you start to go slower as you lose muscle mass.

I've been able to lose about 12kg, lately my weight hasn't changed but body composition has and legs have toned up. Still need to drop at least 5kg, but ideally another 10kg. Wonder just how much faster I would be than my current 103kg..

I just noticed "103kg" - "Wonder just how much faster I would be than my current 103kg.."
For reference - the difference between 103kg and 90kg for me on the following segment is about 90 seconds.

I got about 40km ride this morning with @tigerkamen . we briefly crashed the HFC Arakawa ride, but didn't want to go too far down south (nor too fast!) so we quickly said our goodbyes and made the rest of the ride a sweat-free zone 1 cardio work, plus catching up on chatting. nice seeing you again, albeit briefly @Kangaeroo @Karl anyone else? sorry I didn't say hi properly, it all flew by in a minute.

once home, I decided it's time for the bike to get a thorough wash, which I only do once every several months (I do quick cleans of the drivetrain only in between ok). washing it all, drying it down, washing the tools and the bathroom afterwards, thorough inspection and putting it back, lubing etc took more than 2 hours. but I can commit my life to this thing again for a while, with a bit heightened sense of security. especially pleased with the front tire, which has well over 4,000 km on it but still a lot of life left...

1593236061424.png

Was great to see you again, @luka. I had a got perve at Lynskey while you were in the conbini! She is adorable!
Kicking myself that I was so close to @Karl and didn't meet. Want to do so ASAP!

I've been able to lose about 12kg...

Brilliant effort! Well done! More results will come your way! (And you always look bloody sharp in your photos anyway....height helps, I guess!)
The only way I am ever losing that amount of weight ever again is by chopping off a limb!

The only way I am ever losing that amount of weight ever again is by chopping off a limb!

maybe a leg, but an arm is never gonna weight that much. not even both together ;) unless we're talking about body builders etc

Was great to see you again, @luka. I had a got perve at Lynskey while you were in the conbini! She is adorable!
Kicking myself that I was so close to @Karl and didn't meet. Want to do so ASAP!

I wasn't going to say anything before, but it wasn't me @luka met. I didn't ride yesterday. So... there must be another incredibly handsome and extremely fit rider out there that looks like me. I can understand why you might have been mistaken. ;)

dang, and I coulda sworn it was @Karl ... we only rode with the group briefly, so not sure about that guy's fitness, but handsome... yeah don't know about that either :p

New bike days are the best days....
Picked up the bike this morning from @TheAussieinJapan and brought it home. Cooked Pancakes for the family and seemingly did everything but touch the bike....
Then I got a sec, I popped on the power meter and swapped pedals.
And back to family duty....
Then I got a second and adjusted the saddle height/position - first ride and the saddle is a clear "NOPE" - and "oh shit... I need to swap brakes"
And back to family duty....
Later back to the brakes and popped on a new saddle.
And then had to cook dinner.
THEN.... I finally got a ride in! A quick 20km.

20200628_183656.jpg

1593337450327.png

Attachments

• 20200628_183643.jpg
    20200628_183643.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I got about 40km ride this morning with @tigerkamen . we briefly crashed the HFC Arakawa ride, but didn't want to go too far down south (nor too fast!) so we quickly said our goodbyes and made the rest of the ride a sweat-free zone 1 cardio work, plus catching up on chatting. nice seeing you again, albeit briefly @Kangaeroo @Karl anyone else? sorry I didn't say hi properly, it all flew by in a minute.

once home, I decided it's time for the bike to get a thorough wash, which I only do once every several months (I do quick cleans of the drivetrain only in between ok). washing it all, drying it down, washing the tools and the bathroom afterwards, thorough inspection and putting it back, lubing etc took more than 2 hours. but I can commit my life to this thing again for a while, with a bit heightened sense of security. especially pleased with the front tire, which has well over 4,000 km on it but still a lot of life left...

View attachment 20470

If you don't want to waste your shampoo and conditioner on your Lynskey, I highly recommend this.

DSC_0567.JPG

Who needs expensive bike branded cleaner?

Spray it on.

DSC_0569.JPG

The crap drips off.

DSC_0571.JPG

But with a brush and some water, you can do a great job of it.

DSC_0572.JPG

Hey presto!

Andy

only natural organic argon jojoba oil essence for my bikes thank you

Smells like orange. But I bet it's never seen one!

Do you have a recommend product?

Basically I have to strip clean the chain, cassette, pulleys and chain ring after each ride...

Andy

nah just pulling ya chain there! I usually use whatever's around the kitchen or the bathroom. pedro's citrus degreaser worked well for me in the past, but it's an overkill for someone who doesn't normally do much off-road and only uses dry chain lube (hot water gets 80% of that off right away...)

your spray thing actually looks pretty good as they advertise it for the nooks and crannies not accessible for normal scrubbing. so sounds pretty efficient for derailleurs, cassette, inside the chain pins etc etc

one thing I will say @andywood , I always make sure for my disk bike to remove the wheels and pads when washing it, so that nothing gets sprayed on the braking surfaces. I see you're doing it all as is, which is surely more efficient and faster. just be mindful it could adversely effect your brakes, esp the rear one which is right by the cassette. I experimented before with saran wrap on the spokes, to socially distance the drivetrain side from the braking side. but if you're gonna do that I figure might as well pop the wheel out

1593352082076.png

they're shooting some TV drama or something on Arakawa today:

1593423119692.jpeg

dozens of staff, coppers, minivans etc. it's probably a big budget thing, big TV simply doesn't exist for me, Japanese or not

1593423218903.jpeg

several kms upstream, apparently an accident between cyclists:

1593423263194.jpeg

I came by as they already packed everyone away, and don't know any details, but probably at least 2 hurt people (two ambulances, got it?)

1593423321238.jpeg

one thing I will say @andywood , I always make sure for my disk bike to remove the wheels and pads when washing it, so that nothing gets sprayed on the braking surfaces. I see you're doing it all as is, which is surely more efficient and faster. just be mindful it could adversely effect your brakes, esp the rear one which is right by the cassette. I experimented before with saran wrap on the spokes, to socially distance the drivetrain side from the braking side. but if you're gonna do that I figure might as well pop the wheel out

View attachment 20479

The basic clean after each ride is a water hose to get the dirt and / or sand off.

And a proper clean of the drive chain: chain, cassette, pulleys crank.

Then oil the chain.

I also add silicon spray to the pedals and cleats. And to the spokes' cross points occasionally.

For the brakes, always flush through with water.

For a proper wheels off clean, I will do the whole bike and parts with pressurised household detergent at the bike shop.

DSC_0044.JPG

Do you think household detergent is detrimental to the disc rotors or break pads?

Cheers, Andy

Back
Top Bottom