What's new

Today June 2020

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
another month has passed... stopped by a bike shop on my way from the office this evening to buy things I need to finish my ever-expanding maintenance project. I'm going to change all cables now, outer casings and inners, and while the fork is free from cables I wanna take the opportunity to check the steerer tube again, clean around the headset, replace some steerer spacers and check the torque on all the bolts etc. RD, cassette and chain are installed, so who knows, I might even get to ride the bike sometime soon

Another Day, Another 32k.
2.51 w/kg average for an hour..... and I got stomped!
I rode with David on Zwift - he had a 8km start since I decided to get lighter when he started riding. ;)
I jumped right in with him and off we went. A climb I killed him on a few weeks ago (by over a minute) he got me back today by about 30 seconds???
WTF - I was putting down a consistent 300w+ and he just walked away from me. No bubbles over his head, so no aeroboost or draft assist... he just whipped me. It took me probably about 15 minutes to close the gap and I watched his power number like a hawk... he let me catch him. Bastard! It was pretty much everything I wanted to give to catch him. Was there more in the tank? Yup... but I didn't want to hurt for the rest of the day.

Anyhow - he told me he took a rest day yesterday and was feeling super strong this morning... it is a small bandaid for my pride I guess. :D
The good news is I feel pretty good today. My legs are showing signs of being worn down, but still have quite a bit of life in them right now - so yeah...

Hopefully I will get a chance to return the ass whipping favor to David this week.

Hate how Strava starts the week on Mondays in Japan. Da fun? Anyways...day 2 of new training program. AirCon didn't work in the bike trainer room. but SpaceForce with Steve Carell on Netflix did. Curiously close to USA reality these days. Yiiiiiikes.

Hate how Strava starts the week on Mondays in Japan. Da fun? Anyways...day 2 of new training program. AirCon didn't work in the bike trainer room. but SpaceForce with Steve Carell on Netflix did. Curiously close to USA reality these days. Yiiiiiikes.
It's too close for comfort for me, reality even unfunnies Steve Carell.

229w average over an hour. 2.69w/kg today.
Not much climbing - (only Box hill) and it wasn't until past half way I got tied up with a couple other riders that made it "fun" to hurt just a bit.
Other than box hill, the last 8km might have been the highest power output of the ride. Nice to finish the ride strong.

I haven't been of zwift for a few days. Tried to go on there on Sunday to sort out a creak from my bb /crank area. I set the kickr to 300w erg mode, stood on the pedals. There was a crunching sound and slipping , almost like I was trying to change gear whilst putting the power down then there was a strange noise from the kickr and I lost erg mode.

I performed a little open heart surgery on it last night and after playing with the belt tension and position of the belt cover, everything seems to be back to normal (fingers crossed).

08666DB5-499C-4BB6-88FB-7B355C565D09.jpegB22B437D-F0F3-4C20-844E-40FDB45A587F.jpeg

First mozzie bite of the year, on Upgrade Evening.

the stuff.jpg

Shimano RD-RX812 long-cage derailleur (handles up to 42T but only approved for use on 1x - I'm installing on a twin)
Shimano 11-40T 11S cassette
wtb Nano 40 tyres, recommended to me by a friend, and took weeks to get here
116-link chain, which turns out to not be long enough

wheel before after.jpg

Wheels are now crying-out to be converted to tubeless. I may have to take the plunge too.

40T.jpg

As for the RD...

Good Q+A with a fella from Shimano here where they discuss the differences between the 1x and 2x derailleurs etc.

That's interesting and informative. Putting the "no" in ShimaNO. That's OK. Assos: covered.

Every combination seems to work fine except the max cross-chain - it stretches the cage out and then some, with accompanying groaning noises. Shoulda bought a 126-link chain, but didn't even think about that. I'll sort it out in a few days.

bike 1.gif

New shiny bits. Yay!

Last edited:
ouch, RD parallel with the chainstay, that's something you don't often see

But absolutely not feeling it. I stayed under 2w/kg for about 10 minutes and thought about just riding outside half assed.
Then I thought I would just do 10km and call it quits.... then 20 minutes in my legs started to feel better, so I decided 20km would be the morning goal.
Still not really feeling it (but no longer 'not feeling it') I plugged away for a bit. At 40 minutes, I decided to just do an hour.
1 hour hit and i quit.
2.32 w/kg average for 33km. No satisfaction this morning. I just know I did what I needed to do to kickstart my day.

I think all of those programs do for some reason. Maybe so you do a late charge on the weekend to make the figures look good

Bottom of the pole, I guess, but my garmin calendar runs Sun-Sat.

Last edited:
Woke up this morning, sat outside and drank coffee.
I messaged with friends from home and just got lostin thought a little. I am sure I will ride a bike at some point today, but no trainer.

Attachments

• received_708761423254866.jpeg
    received_708761423254866.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 8
I went for an easy spin up n down arakawa around 8:30 - 9:30. by the end of it, it was already so hot! anyway, if riding the river, weekdays are where it's at. weekends? maybe only very early in the morning. I might have gotten a bit of sunburn as well. no one to blame but myself for sittin on me arse for too long and before I know it it's June already

I did a brutal 5km.
100m of elevation.
55kg of weight in the trailer.... ugh
But the girls were happy!

I went for an easy spin up n down arakawa around 8:30 - 9:30. by the end of it, it was already so hot! anyway, if riding the river, weekdays are where it's at. weekends? maybe only very early in the morning. I might have gotten a bit of sunburn as well. no one to blame but myself for sittin on me arse for too long and before I know it it's June already

I love the hot weather...I just need someone to carry my water for me. Volunteers?

Back
Top Bottom