What's new

Today June 2019

Nice color. My guitar name is sky blue metal. :)

I went back to the doctors about my elbow fracture today. They took an X-ray and the doctor said it's basically healed. I have to go back again in two weeks for what I imagine will be the last X-ray and I need to keep going to the physio in the interim as well. The physio's actually been alright so far and it looks like I've got all of my range of motion back in my arm. It's still a bit sore but that should go with time and more strengthening exercises.

The doctor told me to avoid weight bearing on the arm and not to fall over again as it's still pretty weak. I might try a run (in my local park during daylight) and a little swim over the weekend. To be honest, I could do with some exercise as I've done nothing for the last six weeks and I've definitely put on a bit of weight.

Hey Stu, sounds like very good news. Actually I'm not sure if I read a post about your accident. Have a link? When I was stationed in Okinawa, I ended getting a ride in the Japanese ambulance, head on collision. Forgot how many stitches , but I was using a crutch for maybe a month. Never could really use my left foot for kicking in karate class after that.

Packed up my Ti Vassago and shipping it out this afternoon.
Sending it back to the US so I have a ride this summer while in Virginia.
I will miss it as it is the fastest and most nimble of my MTBs, but the fun factor in Japan is higher on my more burley built bikes.
I am shipping it to a shop a buddy owns and will have it get a complete tune up at the unboxing.
Looking forward to getting back on my home trails and riding with my childhood MTB friends.

Packed up my Ti Vassago and shipping it out this afternoon.
Sending it back to the US so I have a ride this summer while in Virginia.
I will miss it as it is the fastest and most nimble of my MTBs, but the fun factor in Japan is higher on my more burley built bikes.
I am shipping it to a shop a buddy owns and will have it get a complete tune up at the unboxing.
Looking forward to getting back on my home trails and riding with my childhood MTB friends.

Sounds like a lot of fun. The last time I visited the States I just bought a Kmart ATB special. (posted about it)
You moving back, but returning to Japan?

Sounds like a lot of fun. The last time I visited the States I just bought a Kmart ATB special. (posted about it)
You moving back, but returning to Japan?
Visiting for a month. Time for the kiddos to get some quality grandparents & cousins time.
While that is going on... time for Mom & Dad to get Mexican food, cheap US Chinese take out, Greek food, etc...
Then dad is gonna burn off some of it on the MTB. :D

Visiting for a month. Time for the kiddos to get some quality grandparents & cousins time.
While that is going on... time for Mom & Dad to get Mexican food, cheap US Chinese take out, Greek food, etc...

Now that's enjoying life to its fullest :)

Where in VA? I lived there for 15 years before moving here, and the greater Wash, D.C. area since birth... I do miss quality Mexican food, extremely hard to find anything resembling a poblano or ancho chile on this side of the world

Where in VA? I lived there for 15 years before moving here, and the greater Wash, D.C. area since birth... I do miss quality Mexican food, extremely hard to find anything resembling a poblano or ancho chile on this side of the world

Matt, do you make your own Mexican food. We make tacos (chicken) often. Make the tortillas, salsa and sometimes avocado mix. Now if we can just fine some limes.

Sanding, masking, priming, waiting.

Not cycling!

But when done, the result will allow me to cycle more stylishly (maybe).

IMG_2996.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

Looks professional paint job.

Matt, do you make your own Mexican food. We make tacos (chicken) often. Make the tortillas, salsa and sometimes avocado mix. Now if we can just fine some limes.

George, yes I do. I've tried nearly every mex recipe on seriouseats.com (I'm more fanatical about cooking than pretty much anything, including cycling.) I make our own pico de gallo and guacamole. Limes are fairly easy to find in Tokyo. The cilantro is horrible, so I grow my own (easy to do from coriander seeds, sold in spice shops). Here's the tortilla recipe I like the most: https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/how-to-make-fresh-nixtamalized-corn-tortillas-from-scratch.html

But peppers are a completely different story. peppers.jp is how I get birds eye chiles and jalepenos shipped, because the chance of finding any fresh hot peppers in Japan at a grocery store is about the same as finding gold at the end of a rainbow, and the chance of finding a poblano, ancho or other savory variety from South America is even slimmer. I'm going to get some seeds when I go back to the US this summer and plant them myself.

Here are a few of my favorite mex recipes that I make often, and have had success finding ingredients regularly here:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/mexican-shrimp-cocktail-coctel-de-camarones-recipe.html
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/06/grilled-skirt-steak-fajitas-food-lab-recipe.html (For beef and other meat, I highly recommend themeatguy.jp because it is a much better selection and price than you can find, except for knowing a good butcher).
https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/food-lab-great-quesadillas.html and https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/corn-zucchini-quesadilla-recipe.html (After trying this, you will be unlikely to find better quesadillas outside of Mexico or maybe San Diego)
https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07...-juicy-carnitas-without-a-bucket-of-lard.html

Apologies hijacking a cycling forum with my first love, cooking!

Hey Matt PM sent.
Thanks for the links. I'll bookmark them before Thomas comes aboard. :)

Matt, where do you buy the flour at? Foreign Buyers Club?

Matt, where do you buy the flour at? Foreign Buyers Club?

Search Masa on Amazon.jp, its Masa corn flour you want. Also they sell it at the spice stores in Tokyo which are probably in any big city (have found the same in Sendai when we visit my wife's family there), but Amazon.jp is much more convenient since it gets shipped right to your door. Gaban, the Japanese spice brand sells one. This is it: Amazon product ASIN B00A2I4I5S
Also, not Mexican food related, but flour related, I made this and its incredible: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

General question. Why does Cannondale use pressed fit BBs? I really like their bikes but prefer the ease of replacement of threaded BBs. Plus pressed fit, from what I read, often tends to develop a creaky sound. Must be a reason for going with pressed fit but I don't get it. Anyone?

@bloaker

Back
Top Bottom