What's new

Today June 2019

General question. Why does Cannondale use pressed fit BBs? I really like their bikes but prefer the ease of replacement of threaded BBs. Plus pressed fit, from what I read, often tends to develop a creaky sound. Must be a reason for going with pressed fit but I don't get it. Anyone?

@bloaker

Press fit is not the devil. I prefer traditional threaded, but have used pressfit in many frames without any hint of a creak.
Creaks come often from poor assembly and/or dirt in the interface while being pressed in. If you have the correct tools, it isn't much of an issue.
On my niner - PF90 (I think it was) I bought a Praxxis (https://praxiscycles.com/bottom-brackets-old/conversion-bb/ ) and popped it in.
After 3 years, it was time for new bearings - Praxxis lists the sizes and $15 later, I had new bearings and on my way.
Not one creak on that bike ever.

So... Not positive, but this is my guess for cannondale...
1) No metal sleeve required in the BB area. So full carbon 100%
2) Lighter. Lets face it, some guys will only buy the lightest... so why not integrate the BB?
3) You can make bigger tubes for stiffness, since the bearings are not outboard pedal width is not affected.

@MattRyuu - I am a Virginia Beach kid, however home is 3 cities - Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, & Richmond.
Williamsburg has a few great XC parks for MTBs - Freedom Park is my favorite.
York River State Park also has some fun trails to play on. Then for just a fun time in the woods, there is New Quarter Park.
Between the three parks, there are maybe 60km of dedicated MTB singletrack riding.

In Richmond, there are 2 favorites. The James River Trail system - which is in the shadow of downtown Richmond.
The second park is outside the city limits - but Pocahontas State park. There are 3 old trails and 3 new ones there.
It is always a good time, but also had canoes, a pool, splash pad, etc to keep the family busy while I am out working on the bike.

sheet a lot's happened here in just a week this month! lemme leave a comment just so I get notifications and don't miss on the fun

@MattRyuu - I am a Virginia Beach kid, however home is 3 cities - Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, & Richmond.
Williamsburg has a few great XC parks for MTBs - Freedom Park is my favorite.
York River State Park also has some fun trails to play on. Then for just a fun time in the woods, there is New Quarter Park.
Between the three parks, there are maybe 60km of dedicated MTB singletrack riding.

In Richmond, there are 2 favorites. The James River Trail system - which is in the shadow of downtown Richmond.
The second park is outside the city limits - but Pocahontas State park. There are 3 old trails and 3 new ones there.
It is always a good time, but also had canoes, a pool, splash pad, etc to keep the family busy while I am out working on the bike.

Enjoy the time there!

An impromptu loop of Mt. Tateshina in Nagano today.

Ages since I've set out without a plan.

Ages since I've done a big long climb.

Ages since I've had the "oh no I'm lost, will I make it back for breakfast..." first world problems.

Ages since I've been so cold on a descent.

26km downhill in the rain!

Straight in the bath in my helmet and sidis!

Andy

I bought my first torque wrench set today. I went for the Bike Hand one because they sell that range in Viva home and I figured it can't be total junk. It took a bit of getting used to the clunk when it's done but I'm good with it now. I also picked up some new cleats. I'll spend this week trying to dial in a bit of a position on the bike. It's all by feel at the moment but it is what it is.

I went back to look, but this is the first I've seen astuto peeking thru. Is that part of the plan? What's going on there?
I'm not sure if the plan has worked - will need some sunshine to tell, and that's in short supply this week.

I masked the ASTUTO logo before adding "keirin" glitter spray, which includes a transparent lacquer. Then removed the mask and added more (glitter-free) lacquer. If I've done it right, In the correct light the logo should appear by virtue of not glittering.

Ghetto stencil made from copy paper. (Won't do that again!)

IMG_3008.JPG

Finished lacquering, and took the masking tape off last night.

IMG_3018.JPG

Half-fast-way through reassembly...

IMG_3020.jpg

I'm rebuilding with mostly R7000 (105) drivetrain components plus R8000 (Ultegr) levers. Mostly done now - just some testing, tuning, tweaking, and my eccentric asymmetric bar tape. The internal cabling was a royal pain, as always. I'll post a photo of the finished article if we ever get any daylight.

I'll be joining the KIWL 500 km charity ride from Thursday, so not sure when Adventure Bike will actually get to go on a new adventure.

What a beauty, Mike. If its not raining next weekend, and the 1/2 Fast team isn't doing 90km in the mountains (yeah sorry, 2 ifs and buts, candy and nuts...) I'll be riding with you guys.

@Half-Fast Mike that is a nice project, although you missed an opportunity to create 'Eric the Red' ;)
I'm disappointed that you might think I don't have a red bike.

This is from a few years ago; she lives on as my fixie, these days. (I should take her down from the hooks, wash her and ride her.)

20130324-144640-bikes.JPG

I fitted my new cleats and altered my saddle height yesterday - seems alright to me. I was hoping to take a bit of a ride tonight when I got home from work but the rain started up again as soon as I got off the train😠 I guess I'll do it tomorrow.

I'm off on Friday so I'm planning to go for a decent run out during the day whilst my daughter's at school and my wife's at work. I've actually got my eye on Arima Toge, though that might be a bit ambitious with my elbow at the moment. I'll probably just head out to Naguri and see how I feel when I get there.

Last edited:
GCN Japan uploaded it's first video today.

Should be interesting to see how it develops, and to spot familiar parts of Japan appearing in the videos (v-dori already spotted). The older guy is Yukihiro Doi who rode the Vuelta a couple of times back in the day, and also does cycling commentary for the online sports channel DAZN.

Finally got myself an indoor trainer this week. Never thought I'd get one but family commitments eating into cycling time, it's one of the best ways to keep cycling fit. I've barely been on the bike for the last 6 or 7 months as I'd been training for a 100km Ilya marathon. Those plans were scuppered when I broke my toe five days before the race . It's really good to get back on the bike though so I'm not complaining too much.

A7CD84AE-3D4A-4086-A798-E29DD6ECA44A.jpeg
46D0738A-97EC-4450-B503-8E4A8D1A5522.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom