What's new

Today June 2018

This morning on the way to the Tama river down Komaza dori, I was not passed by any cars. Zero. It was kind of unreal. Met cars going the other way but nothing going my way. I guess it was 5am, but still... This is Tokyo!

Woke up with wood early this morning.

The worst possible leg cramp in my calf, the left calf. It was so painful I actually couldn't believe it. Calf was hard as a rock.

Then the leg (calf) was tender, sore all day. Anyone had this sort of problem before?

Sunday recap...
Woke up, coffee, bowl of cereal - headed out to the train station.
Arrive in Tokyo early, ride solo for an hour or so... just slow rolling and remembering how narrow road bike bars are.
Noon-ish we head out for the ride...
330 - snag a combini corndog/coffee
4-ish back on a train and home a little after 530.
Eat Indian food for dinner with a beer.
Bed at 10.

1100pm, wake up with a cramp.
hobble downstairs and drink some water and attempt to just stretch things out.
back in bed by midnight.

------------------
Lesson Learned?
If you only ride your road bike once every 3 months - make sure you eat/drink correctly for the occasion.
Even if you don't feel you are pushing it... maybe accept you NEVER spin anymore and your body will eventually remind you that you did something out of the ordinary.

Sunday recap...
Woke up, coffee, bowl of cereal - headed out to the train station.
Arrive in Tokyo early, ride solo for an hour or so... just slow rolling and remembering how narrow road bike bars are.
Noon-ish we head out for the ride...
330 - snag a combini corndog/coffee
4-ish back on a train and home a little after 530.
Eat Indian food for dinner with a beer.
Bed at 10.

1100pm, wake up with a cramp.
hobble downstairs and drink some water and attempt to just stretch things out.
back in bed by midnight.

------------------
Lesson Learned?
If you only ride your road bike once every 3 months - make sure you eat/drink correctly for the occasion.
Even if you don't feel you are pushing it... maybe accept you NEVER spin anymore and your body will eventually remind you that you did something out of the ordinary.
You forgot to add the point about pushing hard , looking down to find you are only doing 28.1kph, push harder, look down and see 28.2kph, push even harder to find you've only managed 28.3kph...... :flip::D:D

You forgot to add the point about pushing hard , looking down to find you are only doing 28.1kph, push harder, look down and see 28.2kph, push even harder to find you've only managed 28.3kph...... :flip::D:D
Fucking hell... I am telling you, it was killing me!
Digging deep, feeling my legs throb and watching my speed tick up so slowly......

For everyone by @leicaman - This tells you how little I ride my road bike...
I was looking at my Garmin 800 (*I only use it on my road bike) and looked down at the trip instead of speed. I knew I was giving more than 28kph effort and could not put it together why it didn't matter how hard I pedalled, I was barely picking up speed. That might also explain some cramps!

Last edited:
priceless! on the bright side, if you kept at it soon you could be cruising 40km plus for almost no effort ;)
I was hitting crazy speeds of around 75kph as I got close to home. I swear it only felt like I was doing about 25 through traffic though.

Having been without my road bike for just over one month, it's making its journey back to Japan. Got the tracking number last night so I'll be refreshing the Parcelforce tracking webpage every few hours until it arrives at my door. I'm actually quite surprised at how well my gravel bike did as a substitute on my Arakawa morning rides. Will be nice to get back on the road bike though.

The niner is no slouch tho. I have a few friends who have given up their road bikes to ride that for everything but races.
More comfy, once rolling quite fast and easier on the body.

Having been without my road bike for just over one month, it's making its journey back to Japan. Got the tracking number last night so I'll be refreshing the Parcelforce tracking webpage every few hours until it arrives at my door. I'm actually quite surprised at how well my gravel bike did as a substitute on my Arakawa morning rides. Will be nice to get back on the road bike though.

Wait where is your road bike? And what is 'your road bike' anyways?

oh ok - I'm not up on current events - wasn't it getting repaired, or repainted a little while ago? Haha or by a little while ago am I thinking like years ago?? In my old age I'm seriously losing my sense of elapsed time lmao

Back
Top Bottom