What's new

Today June 2017

Not a calendar week, but from last Wednesday thru today, six rides (skipped Saturday). Averaging 34km, 1:50, so 19km/hr. All the same river course, and I take it real easy & cautious on the 5km between here and the river, but push some once there. The artificial hip seems to be working flawlessly. Supposed to rain tomorrow, but early might be possible.

That's great news mate! Glad you're back on the bike!

Not a calendar week, but from last Wednesday thru today, six rides (skipped Saturday). Averaging 34km, 1:50, so 19km/hr. All the same river course, and I take it real easy & cautious on the 5km between here and the river, but push some once there. The artificial hip seems to be working flawlessly. Supposed to rain tomorrow, but early might be possible.

I ran into a proper Motorhead fan this morning during the commute
1f642.png

MAH03751 (2).jpg

That is really a dumper, I would definitely go to LBS's if the price were 10-30% more, but they amount the ask is almost robbery. Does anyone knows why is so much more expansive? I don't think it is a tax issue, but I am don't have lots of knowledge about JP tax system.

Blows doesn't it.

I think at least here in Japan is has to do with "Aftercare", in the case of me (can't do even simple servicing beyond caliper brakes / tires) if there's ever anything slightly wrong with any of my machines I go in and they immediately fix / tune whatever's wrong and I ride away an hour later pleased as punch. No service charges ever asked for or paid.

I think of it like being the driver in an F1 pit; I say what I want and they (the mechanics) "do" according to what I want. That's what I'm paying for when I buy from them - no headaches.

Last edited:
Not my experience.

Some months ago I had a puncture while commuting, had forgot to pack the spares, and as the commute is not that long I was walking back. In the way I stopped by a bike shop asked how much for the tyre, 1200 yen, well reasonable, this would save me the installation work and I would get home faster. To be sure asked if they could change for me, they said it would be more 1200 yen to change. 2400 yen for replacing a tyre ... really!? I walked my way back and did it myself.

Not my experience.

Some months ago I had a puncture while commuting, had forgot to pack the spares, and as the commute is not that long I was walking back. In the way I stopped by a bike shop asked how much for the tyre, 1200 yen, well reasonable, this would save me the installation work and I would get home faster. To be sure asked if they could change for me, they said it would be more 1200 yen to change. 2400 yen for replacing a tyre ... really!? I walked my way back and did it myself.

Hm. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here.

Blows doesn't it.

I think at least here in Japan is has to do with "Aftercare", in the case of me (can't do even simple servicing beyond caliper brakes / tires) if there's ever anything slightly wrong with any of my machines I go in and they immediately fix / tune whatever's wrong and I ride away an hour later pleased as punch. No service charges ever asked for or paid.

I think of it like being the driver in an F1 pit; I say what I want and they (the mechanics) "do" according to what I want. That's what I'm paying for when I buy from them - no headaches.

Yeah, I've generally gotten very good (and free) service on small little adjustments from lbs here. The owner of the lbs I normally go to has helped me out so much that I often try to find things I need to buy as an excuse to spend money in the store.

I've read that the price discrepancy, especially in regards to components is at least partly due to the fact that Merlin, Wiggle, Ribble, etc... all make bikes that they sell. The component companies give discounts to companies selling complete bikes (buying a complete bike is, as far as I have seen, always cheaper than buying the frame and each part individually). Ribble, Wiggle etc. basically buy much more volume than they actually need for their complete bikes and sell their stock to you as an individual item at a reduced price. Further, you aren't paying VAT tax, which brings the cost down further.

Not my experience.

That's definitely a high price, but I've never seen a shop that put tires on for free. For some reason, that is something they always charge for even though it isn't much more work than other adjustments that shops have done for me for free. I had a flat in the hills in the US and had forgotten spares and my pump. There was luckily a bike shop about half a mile away and I think I had to pay $10/$15 for the tube and the service.

Yabitsu loop today on the new tank. Not quite as beat up as on the road bike, but…………………...(to be continued).

Back
Top Bottom